Increase pivot action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My second post. At impact my hips and shoulders are parallel to the target line and both legs are almost straight so I do a lot of flipping- throwaway. Due to the straight legs I have come out of my spine angle. I have all Brian's videos including "confessions". I need advice or drills to help me get my hips and shoulders open at impact. I have made a conscious effort to get hips and shoulders to the ball before the club but it never happens. I have tried starting the forward swing with the hips while the arms are still going back but this produces bad results in the way of really poor ball contact. HELP.

You're swinging your arms independently of your shoulders, and are trying to time the pivot with the arm movement - you need to learn to move your arms with the pivot instead of timing the two independent events.

DDL

New
There is an old post for pivot training, that is also in the never hook again video. Using a driver place ball left of the left shoulder. Hit cut shot fades, striking the inside corner of the ball and swinging way left.The only way you should be able to do this is to have your belt buckle pointing ahead of your hands.

There is an old post for pivot training, that is also in the never hook again video. Using a driver place ball left of the left shoulder. Hit cut shot fades, striking the inside corner of the ball and swinging way left.The only way you should be able to do this is to have your belt buckle pointing ahead of your hands.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DivotDelite

Thanks Divot.. I reveiwed the Never Hook Again video and watched Brian hit the driver off the deck. I will try that next week at the range. I will also check out the post on pivot training.

quote:Originally posted by rcandgolf

Thank you MizunoJoe. So I should feel the pivot moving my "rope" arms? Both back and through?

You can have structure tension or rope arms - it's your choice. Some have firm arms going back and then let them go soft at the top in order to guarantee no arm effort on the DS. Lifelong arms only swingers usually have difficulty untraining themselves, so don't get discouraged. The first step is to start monitoring the pivot and forget the arms/hands. Later, where later could be years or maybe forever, after the pivot has been trained to move the arms/hands, your focus can be put back on the hands.

MizunoJoe... I am 66 years old, so I am hoping for a solution that will take less than a few years. Like overnight! I will put the little yellow book under my pillow tonite and hope that it all gets absorbed during sleep. Just kidding, seriously I really appreciate your help and everyone else's help. I just want to be able to compress the ball. Would starting at the "Building Blocks" level be productive for my pivot problem? I am retired and live in California so practice time is not a problem, just want to practice the right thing. I am short.. 5feet4inches and have short flat back swing and a rather steep downswing.
Thanks.

MizunoJoe... I am 66 years old, so I am hoping for a solution that will take less than a few years. Like overnight! I will put the little yellow book under my pillow tonite and hope that it all gets absorbed during sleep. Just kidding, seriously I really appreciate your help and everyone else's help. I just want to be able to compress the ball. Would starting at the "Building Blocks" level be productive for my pivot problem? I am retired and live in California so practice time is not a problem, just want to practice the right thing. I am short.. 5feet4inches and have short flat back swing and a rather steep downswing.
Thanks.

Brians videos are all top notch - my favorite is Confessions of a Former Flipper - it will become a classic. Building Blocks shows you how to take "impact hands" to impact with the pivot - just what you need.

Where do you live in Ca? If you are near LA, you have access to the all time golf bargain - AI, Greg McHatton at $40/half hour.

MJ... I have all Brians videos so will check "Building Blocks" for taking "impact hands" to impact with the pivot.. I am about two hours from where McHatton teaches, however I read on this forum that he was in Australia with Schaeffer and Mckinney. When he gets back I will try to set up a lesson. I have his video "Advanced Power Techniques" which shows how to accelerate the club longitudinally by using your pivot, however did not click for me. Perhaps because, as you say, I am an arm swinger and do not use the pivot very well.
I will work on your and DDL suggestions and report back.

MJ... I have all Brians videos so will check "Building Blocks" for taking "impact hands" to impact with the pivot.. I am about two hours from where McHatton teaches, however I read on this forum that he was in Australia with Schaeffer and Mckinney. When he gets back I will try to set up a lesson. I have his video "Advanced Power Techniques" which shows how to accelerate the club longitudinally by using your pivot, however did not click for me. Perhaps because, as you say, I am an arm swinger and do not use the pivot very well.

With the videos and lessons from Greg, you have pretty much guaranteed your success. Good luck, although you won't need luck with this plan!

PS - If possible, you should also see Ben Doyle in Carmel.

Burner

New

In order to appreciate the effect and efficiency of the pivot you need to experience the end result.

To gain this experience I suggest you work on "Front end Therapy". This starts at impact fix - no ball needed for this drill - just swing forwards only, in and up from impact fix to a full finish.

Remember, at Impact fix your hips will be open a little but your shoulders will be around square, maybe ever so slightly open.

Once you have gained the feel for what a full, pivot driven finish to the stroke feel like, then you can begin to add a little back stroke action. Start small, say 2 feet back and then through to the full finish; gradually working up to your full swing.

Again, DO NOT USE A BALL FOR THIS DRILL it will only detract from the motion that you are trying to ingrain in order to experience a proper pivot action.

Once you have gained confidence in your new pivot motion then you can introduce the ball into the equation BUT do not think in terms of hitting the ball think only in terms of your post impact motion and the full finish.

RCANDGOLF

You need to do the walking Drill; I learn this from Gregg McHatton. You do this with out a ball till you master the movement then you do it with a ball.

1. Start your back swing (By Moving your back swing with your big back muscles) Keeping your arms close to your sides.(connected) Only go ½ back or 3/4 back swing

2. Start moving your lower part of your body (tailbone) by pushing off your Right foot back towards the target. Keep moving your upper part of your body to the top of YOUR SWING.

3. Now start shifting your weight to the your Left foot like your trying to crab a penny with your right toes (So you can pivot around your left side), Left heel up a bit ¼ of an inch)

4. Now here’s the important part as your pushing off with your right foot and all your weight is on your left side start your walk thru, bring your hole right side thru the ball. you end up with your right hip, right shoulder facing the target. After you master this drill you add in the snap release.

This drill has worked for me! Your pivot becomes really strong and not dainty like Ben would say. I live two hours from Gregg in Southern Cal (Irvine) If you like to see this or need any more explanations P.M me and maybe we can meet at a driving range. I am Alway willing to help out a TGMER.

JBM47

Correction From Post above!

This is what I learned from Gregg at on of my lesson with him!

You need to do the walking Drill; I learn this from Gregg McHatton. You do this with out a ball till you master the movement then you do it with a ball.

1. Start your back swing (By Moving your back swing with your big back muscles) Keeping your arms close to your sides.(connected) Only go ½ back or 3/4 back swing

2. Start moving your lower part of your body (tailbone) by pushing off your Right foot back towards the target. Keep moving your upper part of your body to the top of YOUR SWING.

3. Now start shifting your weight to the your Left foot like your trying to crab a penny with your LEFT toes (So you can pivot around your left side), Left heel up a bit ¼ of an inch)

4. Now here’s the important part as your pushing off with your right foot and all your weight is on your left side start your walk thru, bring your hole right side thru the ball. you end up with your right hip, right shoulder facing the target. After you master this drill you add in the snap release.

This drill has worked for me! Your pivot becomes really strong and not dainty like Ben would say. I live two hours from Gregg in Southern Cal (Irvine) If you like to see this or need any more explanations P.M me and maybe we can meet at a driving range. I am Alway willing to help out a TGMER.

JBM47

JBM and Burner thanks for the drills.
JBM. I tried to PM you but could not get to it to work - I probably did not do it right. I live in Costa Mesa so I am sure we could get together, if you do not mind you could e-mail me, my e-mail addres is in my profile.
Thanks

cdog

New
nevermind,
Hit INTO the lead side more and you won't spin out, sorta like a skater whipping some around them.

"hit into the lead side more", cdog you practicing for when you get that golf mag article?

I've squared up my left foot and try to feel the right heel planted on the ground up to impact. Works fine untill I want to hit a ball at more than 3/4 pace. When I'm moving that right shoulder downplane nice and fast my hips want to spin just as fast. I watch the Gregg McHatton swing clips for inspiration. Also using the feeling of letting the dog walk b/w you legs in the downstroke then catch it in the follow through, can't recall who I heard that from. Early days, she'll be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.