Increasing club head speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leek

New
I read with interest another forum with some amazing claims of gains in club head speed by swinging a 6 lb. bar. Some posts:

"I went down to the 6lb'r, same length and size as a driver and easier to control, went home afterwards to swing the driver to keep loose and not tighten up when the driver felt like a feather and could swing it like it was nothing. Went on a launch monitor and picked up 4mph. Not bad for a start. It took me a couple of weeks to do this but I feel if I can keep up with this it could only get better right."

"I have been using one for about 5 month after reading the initial post. I started out with a 95mph club head speed and I am now 127mph with ball speeds of 165+mph."

Does anyone have experience with training with a club this heavy? Will it really bring this kind of increase in velocity?

Chris Sturgess

Whoa, that's really cool Leek. I had always heard that swinging too heavy of a club will throw off your timing and mechanics. Do you hit it as accurately after using this? How much farther are your drives on the course?

Last edited:
Thats the same theory as swing a heavy bat and when you use your 32oz bat it feels so light that you swing faster or it seems so.

Do you have the link to the post where the guy claims to have gained 32mph clubhead speed in 5 months? Sounds like bs to me. Especially since even decent contact at 127mph clubhead speed will get you 180mph ballspeed and he says that his ballspeeds are around 165mph. I bet he measured 127mph clubhead speed on a speed stik!

d0n

New
Leek, I tried this for a couple of weeks. I'm not a good person to base this off of since at the time I had only been playing a year or so and was undergoing major swing re-work. It was about 6-8 months ago I used the troy bar so I don't remember the exact details. I couldn't hit the driver off the tee box and was using hybrids.

After the first week or two I picked up 15 or so yards of carry off the tee box with the hybrid. Unfortunetly I started getting sloppy with it and it showed when I was on the course. I started swinging hard and would loose my balance. My instructor at the time wanted me to stop swinging so hard so I put the troy bar away in my closet and haven't used it since.

As soon as I get better and getting up and down. I'll probably screw around with it some more.

One bit of advice. If you get one of these Troy Bars, you may want to get the 4lb one. I got the 6 and it's probably unrealistic for regular golfers. If I could go back I would have got the 4lb instead of the 6lb. When you swing the bar 10-20 times and then pick up your driver it's like picking up graphite shaft with no head on it.

The one thing that I did get out of using the troy bar, it was the first time I actually felt my forearms/hands roll.

I think your right he measured ss with the speed stick, with that said 165ball speed is still 110+clubhead speed, nice gain, TIM

Leek

New
Whoa, that's really cool Leek. I had always heard that swinging too heavy of a club will throw off your timing and mechanics. Do you hit it as accurately after using this? How much farther are your drives on the course?

Chris, I haven't done this. Those are quotes from a few posts in that thread. I put this up for the "smell test". I want to see if these make sense and if anyone here has tried something like this. I am pretty skeptical of a claim of increasing from 95 to 127.

Chris Sturgess

Oh, sorry I skimmed right over that part. The claims do seem too good to be true. And like someone else said, if the club head speed is 127 then a 165 ball speed would be pretty terrible, so that kind of puts all the numbers in question.

what is a 'troy bar'?
could just using a heavy steel rod with a grip on it be as effective? something like the momentus?

Leek

New
what is a 'troy bar'?
could just using a heavy steel rod with a grip on it be as effective? something like the momentus?

Momentus is about 2.5 lbs. Troy Bars are the length of a driver and come in 4, 6 and higher weights (up to 27 lbs.) Big difference.

One question for the experts, a guy mentioned he thought using one of these might make it difficult to keep the club on-plane. It makes sense, maybe as a teaching pro once told me Momentus often ingrains an underplane swing. I don't know...if you move weights with the pivot, why would you get underplane?

And for thos interested in some of the weighted drivers out there, 1 pound = 453.59237 grams. Most weighted drivers are about 525 grams or 1.15742688 pounds

Last edited:

Leek

New
Bump- hoping Brian, Damon, either Mike, Jim or Ryan might comment. Any knowledge/experience with something like this?

Momentus is about 2.5 lbs. Troy Bars are the length of a driver and come in 4, 6 and higher weights (up to 27 lbs.) Big difference.

One question for the experts, a guy mentioned he thought using one of these might make it difficult to keep the club on-plane. It makes sense, maybe as a teaching pro once told me Momentus often ingrains an underplane swing. I don't know...if you move weights with the pivot, why would you get underplane?

And for thos interested in some of the weighted drivers out there, 1 pound = 453.59237 grams. Most weighted drivers are about 525 grams or 1.15742688 pounds

My opinion.....

Once onplane, it would be hard to take the shaft offplane.

But, thats not the issue, most amateurs start offplane - and therefore - the heavier the shaft/clubhead, the HARDER to get back onplane.

My take.

Leek

New
Well, I purchased a weighted device to try this. It can be weighted from 1-6 lbs. I'm going to try working with this, measure it and see what happens. If anyone is interested, I'll report the results.

Problably alot of ways to increase clubhead speed.

But perhaps the easiest is to uncock the loaded power accumulator #2 downplane at the planeline.

Worth a shot.

dale47

New
This might be a useful tool for warming up pre-round. Or a very bad one, what say the instructors?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
There has been alot of info junking the training method of throwing heavy balls for pitchers. Don't know of any similar studies for golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.