Iron Play. Rotary or Up and Down? [w/AudioAnswer]

Status
Not open for further replies.
When playing irons, especially short irons, do you feel more of an up and down swing through the ball (aka J. Nicklaus), or more rotary (aka G Player)?

I tend to get too up and down and pull my short irons.

Ya you still should prolly try to trace</u> a straight plane line (flashlight drill- club moves inside but beam shines on target line all the way through).

I'm still working on a reliable short iron swing too man. It's tough because it has to be so versatile...and I hate hooks so I don't want to miss left- no pulls preferably but I especially don't want any curve left (hook spin). Unless I do it purposely...lol.

Right now I'm working on a swing where I'm "swinging out to right field" (coming from the inside enough so that I don't come outside-in and hit a pull) and really holding it off (angled hinge). Have been trying a slightly closed stance for this too- to help swinging from the inside and to "right field"- to prevent a pull.

But who knows I'm still experimenting...I have a couple things in mind that I'm experimenting with...I just need to see what way works best for me and feels most natural. I want it to be crisp and predictable.

As for Player/Nicklaus...I guess I'd say I'm somewhere in betweeen, personally.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Learn to trace a straight plane line, you'll notice that your swing doesn't change from driver to wedge. What changes is:

1) your clublength

2) how far/close you stand to the ball.

---------

Take your driver and normal setup position. Now choke down on the club about 5". Now you'll have to stand closer to the ball to try and hit it. Now take a normal swing. Notice how much more "upright" you LOOK.

The reason why one player might look more upright than another is simply because they use plane shifts. Get some flashlights and trace the line and you'll see. This is also why a consistent setup routine that always places you the same distance from the ball, driver to wedge, is important.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
IF...IF...you plane shift yes.

HOWEVER

i do my best to trace a straight plane line and it feels like i take it right up the plane, and then right back down the plane. But, i can do a MULTIPLE amount of swings and patterns. Swinging, hitting, single/double/triple plane shifts. Furyk's loop-dee-loop lol, whatever.

But, MY PATTERN, i just feel like i take it right up the plane and then right back down the plane. Could i be shifting somewhere? Maybe, don't know. I just try to always trace a straight plane line and this lets me play good golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.