Is the Ideal Pattern Just the 'Other Side' of Center?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread, plus my own experiences with SD 1.0 got me thinking.

Is the best pattern for any particular golfer the pattern that lies just on the other side of center from that golfer's natural swing tendencies?

That is, huestisc started on the far right side of the matrix, with a swing that needed to be dehoooked. The SD pattern leads him to overdraw it a bit, and he loves the ability to hit little fades.

I started on the left side of the matrix and really needed the clubface control of NSA. Now, I am LOVING the ability to hit controlled, soft draws. What's more, with the SD pattern I have NO PROBLEM AT ALL hitting little fades. Indeed, for me, hitting a fade doesn't even require much set up, preparation or thought; I sort of just 'hit a fade'. A fade is really natural for me, and even with the SD pattern I find I can just make a normal SD swing but hold the face open just a bit for a small, controlled fade.

So being just on the 'other side of center', by swinging right a little with SD, feels perfect for me in terms of controlling the golf ball. Brian suggests, in the thread above, that huestisc could use the Soft Fade pattern. In both cases, each of us would use a pattern that's just the other side of center from our natural tendencies.

This would mean that the NHA people will migrate to SF (when it is released) and the NSA people will move on to SD.

Of course, eventually we'll all end up playing scratch golf with the Do it Right pattern, and Brian will get the teaching recognition he deserves!

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Is the best pattern for any particular golfer the pattern that lies just on the other side of center from that golfer's natural swing tendencies?

Not a bad guess, fronesis!

The BEST PATTERN for a golfer is the one they can shoot the lowest score with.

Period.

I tend to agree with your logic, for me, I think that it would be too easy to relapse into a slicer if I tried to go to just a Soft Fade. It's an interesting question.

Does it make sense that I control my flight with my right elbow?

For a straighter less right to left shot, I just use a deeper pitch position. For a more syrupy draw, I do not use a deep pitch elbow position.

My pattern isn't SD, but a slightly amped up Annika, Littler, Byrd, and JB'ish move.

With the deeper pitch elbow, you are probably achieving more right elbow bend at impact, which tends to leave the clubface more open.

Here's something to try:
Instead of going deeper with the pitch elbow, try using your normal degree of pitch elbow but keep your right elbow bent longer than usual into the downswing. You'll feel like you need more axis tilt to get to the ball and the release will feel less "handsy" to get the same effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.