Issue with some students

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

I could use your help with a "syndrom" I see with some students that has me pretty darn puzzled.

Let's assume the have a decent hold on the club, acceptable posture, ball position, overall a set up ready to strike the ball.

THEN.... I call it the "Statue of Liberty" backswing. Rather than allow the left forearm to rotate to the plane and cock the left wrist and bend the right wrist, they take a backswing as though they are holding a torch while walking through a cave. Very little wrist cock and handly any right wrist bend...

I've had a couple of these over the years and I can't say that I think I helped them. Infact they have left me frustrated as a teacher. I've tried my whole tool kit and nothing...

Thanks for your time,

Martin

If I know what you're talking about.................I tend to look like that. Club always is pointing up in the air like Trevino.

I couldn't tell you why I do it.......but I can look however or like whoever I want if there isn't a ball down that needs to be hit. It really is strange and I'm sure amounts to clubface control. I don't screw with it anymore because even if I make it look nicer on video I hit it way worse.

BTW............"lifting the torch" is actually one of my favourite feels/images. (for me at this moment)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Gang,

I could use your help with a "syndrom" I see with some students that has me pretty darn puzzled.

Let's assume the have a decent hold on the club, acceptable posture, ball position, overall a set up ready to strike the ball.

THEN.... I call it the "Statue of Liberty" backswing. Rather than allow the left forearm to rotate to the plane and cock the left wrist and bend the right wrist, they take a backswing as though they are holding a torch while walking through a cave. Very little wrist cock and handly any right wrist bend...

I've had a couple of these over the years and I can't say that I think I helped them. Infact they have left me frustrated as a teacher. I've tried my whole tool kit and nothing...

Thanks for your time,

Martin

No problem.

It depends if they are hooking or slicing it though....

But here are a couple:

• Have 'em point the butt of the club at the TARGET as LONG as possible.

• Stronger left hand grip

• "Left Thumb in the ear"

I have a million more...:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.