just wondering. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i putt, i usually watch the putter in the back stroke and then follow it back to the ball. . .i am pretty sure that's not the best way to putt, but i've been doing it for so long that it is very difficult to stop. does anyone else watch the putter on the take away?

i am really trying to improve my putting (anxiously awaiting the putting matrix) and just wondered, is this the first thing i need to fix? Or is this not such a big deal?

thanks

"watching the putter in the backswing", Try something you never do (get out of the funk of putting), like out of the blue I will set up to the putt and close my eyes. You will use more of your other senses (balance and feel). Spot putting is something i try, like imagining gates better. I fall back on using a laser and old cleveland iron box (70 degrees tilt) to check my stroke. Hate to point out watching the blade, but I get "lost" myself.
JeffS

when i putt, i usually watch the putter in the back stroke and then follow it back to the ball. . .i am pretty sure that's not the best way to putt, but i've been doing it for so long that it is very difficult to stop. does anyone else watch the putter on the take away?

i am really trying to improve my putting (anxiously awaiting the putting matrix) and just wondered, is this the first thing i need to fix? Or is this not such a big deal?

thanks

Well, I watch it too, and I'm a pretty good putter. I've read it's not the best way to putt, but for me, it works. I need to see the putter make it's first 'move' in the right direction, straight back, so I watch the back edge. My take away is slow away from the ball.

I had that problem too until this summer. Then I just started to STARE at the ball like it was Megan Fox (look her up). It sounds sooo simple but my putting improved tremendously. I started rolling the rock like crazy. Try to really stare at the ball like your life depended on it.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
The only reason it might be helpful is that it could replace negative thoughts during the stroke itsself.
From a technique standpoint, it is not contributing to any of the required skills so is not a long term solution nor a means to providing feedback and improvement in the short or long term.

Does anyone in any sporting sphere watch a body part or the stick that they're swinging to produce a better result?

If you feel that the results are better doing it, go right ahead. If you are interested in continuing improvement, there are other fish to fry!

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.