Justin Rose at The Masters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Is anybody else less than enthusiastic about his swing. The announcers seem to fawn over it alot. Ive always thought that it was prone to doing exactly what he did today, hit alot of pulls, pull draws and fats of of downhill lies. i think he works on that "puck" or spoon release that Nick Bradley advocates. Gets a ton of right arm and body chase after impact. Maybe nobody cares but i think its interesting that a top player, given the information available, would work on something like that.

He has a fantastic swing. Great balance. Great swing plane. What is a puck release? Why are you so critical of swing mechanics that work so well at the top level of golf? Don't let one bad hole in a bad round color your thoughts so much. There is more to scoring than the swing.

lia41985

I think he bends over too much, tries to stay in his spine angle too much, and in general looks unnatural.

Puck Release

He has a fantastic swing. Great balance. Great swing plane. What is a puck release? Why are you so critical of swing mechanics that work so well at the top level of golf? Don't let one bad hole in a bad round color your thoughts so much. There is more to scoring than the swing.

Page 140 "The 7 Laws of the Golf Swing"...

"In all good swings, the right wrist joint and the right arm straighten as they deliver the club to impact....the right hand will work slightly under the left hand after striking the ball and , in doing so, will keep the clubface square to the target and on the optimum plane for the longest possible time."

There then follows a few photos (posed) which show a cocked right wrist (at release point), a bent left wrist (at impact), a flattening right wrist (at impact) and a left wrist which appears to be in process of angle/vertical hinging (towards follow through position - both arms straight)

Sorry can not scan the pics...no scanner...

It certainly sounds/looks like a motion that would have a closing clubface through impact if it were mistimed....unless you apply some vertical hinge type motion to stop the closing motion....

Justin is and was the most talented of the young Brits...he was a real kid at Birkdale but still came 4th. Some of the other young Brits have not come close to this!

No matter what his coach tells him to do...Justin knows how to hit a ball! I hope that he does not suffer too much mental damage ( or maybe has already suffered too much) before he gets someone who at least teaches/writes a better description of impact release motions.

He was getting very anoyed with himself last night on the course... no harm in that but he did not leave the annoyance where the divot from his bad shot lay....he carried it forward too far. Tiger was like Seve on 18...awesome! and he even smiled a real smile on the green... the mask slipped!

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Well, I'm not trying to be too critical. After all, he's playing in the Masters and I'm on the couch. It was more of an indictment of some of the instruction going on. I slo-moed both of the wedges he hit on 15 and couldnt believe how far the arms travelled in the downswing without any movement of the left side. Tons of slack. I met him at the 84 Lumber Classic and what a great guy. So I'm not intending to rag on him. This is a swing junkie's forum and thought it would be interesting to talk about a particular swing. I think he'll always battle the pull draw just like Norman battled the block until he does something to change it.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

It wasn't one hole. He pulled one on 9, 10, and 13. Then fatted one on 15, over compensated and skulled the next. Last year when he was in contention he hit one big pull after the next. These young guys are fantastic but if they want to catch Tiger they have to match his mechanics to match him shot for shot.
And I know there's more to scoring than the swing. :rolleyes:

I see no criticism of Justin - just trying to explain:-

- what his coach says
- why it might be flawed
- why the most talented player of his UK generation has yet to capitalise on his gifts

Clearly, you do not have to be as gifted as someone to be able to critisise them. The process of criticism does not require performance. It requires diagnosis, comparison and, if generous, suggested treatment. Our relative lack of skill does not make the criticism less valid....just harder for the person being critiqued to accept the information as valid. That is their issue...not the issue for the critic.

I really liked the way he went out to win the final tournament of last season, he set out to do it that week, just as you have to do on a Major week. I think that he is the best hope for British Major winner.

It is also weird that he does not have a Ryder Cup appearance to his name...he has had some downs in his career so far which have sadly coincided with Ryder Cup years. I hope he is there in Kentucky with Dougherty, Poulter, Casey, Donald, Westwood.... and that is just the English!!!

Ya I've always thought he comes out of his tilt a lot.

I'm not sure if it is forced (i.e. due to something he is trying to do) or otherwise.

As a miss, I see pull-draws too Kevin.

I took a look at some of the Masters coverage that I Tivo'd....had some footage of him hitting 8 iron on 12 and then driver on 14 maybe?

Anyhow, his shoulders look squarish at impact while his hips are open to the target. I almost thought this was the other way around when I saw him hit driver.

Camera angles could play a part in that too though.....:p

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think Rose and a lot of these younger players just look flat out unnatural with their ram rod straight posture from the top of their head to the crack of their ass. The commentators were even mentioning that Rose's swing looked a bit more relaxed and free flowing this year....

Brian has said many times how worthless something like spine angle is......it's more about getting the right amount of tilt.

The Hammer

Yes it looks a little robotic but that is a Leadbetter thing. I agree with Brian on the spine angle that it is over rated. If he would just loosen up a bit I think he would have better results. It also seems like he might be thinking about swing positions or posture in the practice swings and not letting it flow.

You got "spine angle is worthless" out of those links? Come on... It might not be an imperative, but it definitely helps to have your spine angle SOMEWHAT constant during the swing.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Somewhat constant and looking like you've got a rod up your ass through the top of your head are two different things. Sure it needs to be "somewhat constant" but that is going to be the by-product of doing what Brian wants you to do in the swing anyway. Blindly focusing on spine angle won't help you hit better shots.

I asked Brian about this over the phone about a year ago and his response to me was..."paying attention to something like spine angle is worthless" Take it for what it's worth, if you choose not to believe me, trust me, it's no skin off my sack.

Somewhat constant and looking like you've got a rod up your ass through the top of your head are two different things. Sure it needs to be "somewhat constant" but that is going to be the by-product of doing what Brian wants you to do in the swing anyway. Blindly focusing on spine angle won't help you hit better shots.

I asked Brian about this over the phone about a year ago and his response to me was..."paying attention to something like spine angle is worthless" Take it for what it's worth, if you choose not to believe me, trust me, it's no skin off my sack.

I am taking your quote for what its worth...nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.