kinetic energy and speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there really 4 factors?
Ball speed
Launch angle
Backspin
Side Spin

If you're referring to launch factors that effect the distance the ball flies (discounting environmental factors) then, yes, that's pretty much it. If you're talking about smash factor, it's simply ball speed divided by cluhead speed, regardless of what may influence those numbers.

patience is a virtue

As this post was originally about kinetic energy, is there the remotest possibility we can get back on subject and someone give an answe to this question....:rolleyes:
carry.gif

puttmad,

I have just the information you are looking for. It is taken from the article below. Doubling the kinetic energy means increasing the clubhead velocity by 1.4. Hence if we start with 90 mph we end up with about 126 mph. This is the precisely the range covered by the study. The increase is not linear as shown since the coefficient of restitution reduces with increasing impact speed. Moreover the aerodynamic forces increase with the square of ball speed.

EXPERIMENTAL DETERMINATION OF THE EFFECTS OF CLUBHEAD SPEED
ON DRIVER LAUNCH CONDITIONS AND THE EFFECTS ON DRIVE DISTANCE
FOR BALLS USED BY THE PGA TOUR

USGA Technical Report RB/cor2006-01
Steven J. Quintavalla, Ph.D.
USGA Research Engineer
April 19, 2006

Last edited:

carry.gif

puttmad,

I have just the information you are looking for. It is taken from the article below. Doubling the kinetic energy means increasing the clubhead velocity by 1.4. Hence if we start with 90 mph we end up with about 126 mph. This is the precisely the range covered by the study. The increase is not linear as shown since the coefficient of restitution reduces with increasing impact speed. Moreover the aerodynamic forces increase with the square of ball speed.

EXPERIMENTAL DETERMINATION OF THE EFFECTS OF CLUBHEAD SPEED
ON DRIVER LAUNCH CONDITIONS AND THE EFFECTS ON DRIVE DISTANCE
FOR BALLS USED BY THE PGA TOUR

USGA Technical Report RB/cor2006-01
Steven J. Quintavalla, Ph.D.
USGA Research Engineer
April 19, 2006

Thanks Mandarin....

So all we really have to do is find an easy way to double out kinetic energy....:)

How does the "mass" figure work in the Ke formula for the golf swing? Is it a swing weight figure? (Physics was never my strongpoint.:rolleyes: .)

Status
Not open for further replies.