Knowing what we know now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
would anyone here be more likely to take a lesson from someone solely based on that person owning a Trackman?

Thank you for responding honestly.

vandal

New
I think either the Trackman or other similar 3D imaging would definitely tilt my decision if I were choosing between instructors of equal merit. But having the device and knowing how to use it might be different.

However, if it were in the hands of some JoBlo, and I had a choice between him and Ben Doyle, I'd still go with Doyle.

No.

I have some limited free access to Trackman, so I wouldn't really need to get a lesson from Trackman. Without that access, I probably would just because I can take the Trackman info for myself and I can choose if I want to listen to the instructor.

3JACK

Solely...no.

But if I were choosing between two instructors with equally stellar reputations -- one owning the technology and one not -- then, yes, it would have an influence on the decision.

Good question Kevin....

From what I can tell Trackman is good at telling you what happened, but not necessarily how the heck you got there.

Trackman could say your horizontal path is -6 and your face is slightly closed and that caused "x" ballflight for "X" number of yards.

But what's more important to me, is can the teacher give me the correct medication for my particular problem.

dale47

New
Yes and no. Depending on the student I guess. If you get a 25 handicap with a crappy grip,open club face,etc,how much will Trackman really help him. He needs a teacher to build him a SWING before Trackman would help. A person like you Kevin,it would help greatly. You have a good,repeatable swing.

if the trackman and the instructor using it can get me to learn, understand, and do what it needs to hit the ball better and more consistent, then yes, it would be a good thing. but just because someone has the funds to own one but can't relay and instruct someone of some of its benefit, it wouldn't do squat.

Depends on how much the lesson would cost and how much access I would have to the numbers. And of course if I could somehow otherwise access another Trackman without needing to get a lesson from someone I may not want one from.

In a structured lesson though it would be tough to do your own thing at all. Who knows maybe you could somehow get the guy to let you experiment a bit.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Great responses, especially yours Jim. Now the addendum, which I think has already been answered: If an already reputable teacher in your area had one, I guess what you all are saying is it could be the deciding factor in going to see him? Is that what im hearing?

Or... You might go if you were a better player and could have access to the numbers? Sorta like the student dictates the lesson....kinda of like a glorified practice session with the instructor just reading the numbers?

Launch Monitor Use

Kevin,
I would go to a teacher first and the trackman or other 3d technology may sway me in my choice. Tball88 made a great point that the information is only as good as the person/teacher interpreting it and putting it into useful context. I personally would use 3D for research, development and confirmation of what I see in the students swing. One other use for 3D is an additional revenue source.
MK

No, because it's like choosing your math tutor based on who has the best calculator.

:) classic.

I'm never going to take a golf lesson.

Give me the information, and I'll assemble it myself.

I also don't color within the lines, or obey traffic laws.

It took me 4 years to learn how to swing left. So what... I now own that...*...

Great responses, especially yours Jim. Now the addendum, which I think has already been answered: If an already reputable teacher in your area had one, I guess what you all are saying is it could be the deciding factor in going to see him? Is that what im hearing?

Or... You might go if you were a better player and could have access to the numbers? Sorta like the student dictates the lesson....kinda of like a glorified practice session with the instructor just reading the numbers?

I think you're on the right track. If I didn't know anything about the instructor, I would go there thinking that as long as he's got the Trackman, I can at least use that data to my advantage and choose whether or not I want to listen to the instructor. Of course, I'm a scratch golfer...if I was a high handicapper it would be a different story. I will say that knowing what I know now, I would lean towards thinking that this instructor is probably pretty good (even if I didn't know anything about him/her) because they are smart enough to know how great and useful the Trackman is. That may not always be the case, but that's what I would learn towards.

I think the problem is that Trackman is in its infancy stages and not a lot of people know about it. So in the grand scheme of things, it probably won't be much of a selling tool for the instructor in at least the short term until it gets marketed more and marketed better.

I have limited access to Trackman, but I would still pay to use it for an hour or so (and I may have to in the future). But, I'm not sure that most golfers would simply because they don't know much about it.

3JACK

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
I would go to the lesson pay full price$ and just take the data and do my own lesson from it. All teaching aids or technology are great in theory; that being said the ability to understand the data and relate it to a lesson is a whole new skill in itself.

We all apreciate trackman because it answer lots of our questions and tells us what is happening, but would a teacher with a poor knowledge base appreciate it or know how to maximise it's use? I would say definately NOT.

Kevin

For what its worth I think the main thing I would want is a teacher who videos your lesson..
First from a review standpoint and also it helps immensly to see your own swing (and see it change)...
the Trackman would be a simple "numbers improvement" validation..

But then I'm the kind of person that wants to know all the "whys" rather that just following blindly....:)

If I had a couple hundy to spend.......

I would go see Brian or a Manzella Academy instructor before I go see the local pro with a trackman.

:) classic.

I'm never going to take a golf lesson.

Give me the information, and I'll assemble it myself.

I also don't color within the lines, or obey traffic laws.

It took me 4 years to learn how to swing left. So what... I now own that...*...

spoken like a true tightwad who doesnt want to spend money or time listening to someone tell them how to do something that they think they can figure out on their own.:p
we are alot alike you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.