Knowing what we know now.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Great responses, especially yours Jim. Now the addendum, which I think has already been answered: If an already reputable teacher in your area had one, I guess what you all are saying is it could be the deciding factor in going to see him? Is that what im hearing?

Or... You might go if you were a better player and could have access to the numbers? Sorta like the student dictates the lesson....kinda of like a glorified practice session with the instructor just reading the numbers?

To part 1 above:

It wouldn't be a deciding factor either; my analogy still applies. Maybe i found a great math tutor who just got a TI 83 graphing calculator that can do all kinds of fancy things to get the answer to my homeowork; but does he really know how to use it to teach me algebra? Here's a question; lets ASSume that brian doesn't know how to operate a trackman or use it to its full potential. Do you think he'd be more or less effective than he already is?

to part 2

If an instructor had one, i'd pay him for his time to just spit the numbers out to me yes if i had no other access

JRJ

New
maybe wait until the price comes down but ........

Well I'm not a teacher like Jim or 4-barrels; I'm just a guy who spends money on golf stuff (including lessons) and I would definitely choose the guy with Trackman. The technology tells you immediately what's wrong (like an MRI). The teacher would then fix you and show you how your numbers improved. It's like choosing an instructor using video over somebody who doesn't - total no brainer. Plus, with the driver I'd see launch angle and spin rate. If high lauch - low spin is the formula and I'm testing out a new driver and you SHOW me current spin rate is 3K and new driver is 2400...SOLD!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Well I'm not a teacher like Jim or 4-barrels; I'm just a guy who spends money on golf stuff (including lessons) and I would definitely choose the guy with Trackman. The technology tells you immediately what's wrong (like an MRI). The teacher would then fix you and show you how your numbers improved. It's like choosing an instructor using video over somebody who doesn't - total no brainer. Plus, with the driver I'd see launch angle and spin rate. If high lauch - low spin is the formula and I'm testing out a new driver and you SHOW me current spin rate is 3K and new driver is 2400...SOLD!

You are ASSuming that the teacher with the trackman knows how to fix you which is a giant assumption. Its similar to small companies who implement big time ERP systems with not enough people to take advantage of it or even the knowledge of how to use it to its potential. Plus it also ASSumes you can run a business correctly ;)

Kevin,
Knowing what we know now....I'd say I would maybe ONLY use the trackman.
I'd rather just go on one and not get any lesson.

BUT....I would estimate that 75% of the golfing public doesn't know what Trackman is, AND out of the other 25% maybe 1/5 of those people know 'accurately' why it is valuable. So, ultimately I think any decision to buy one has to be based solely on it's value to the instructor and not on any increased business potential.... at least at this point in time. It is very possible that increasing the information for the instructor will make him/her more effective and that would of course over time increase business.

Status
Not open for further replies.