Lagging Clubhead Takeaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does a lag take away promote better lag loading on the downswing? It seems as though the great swingers of yesteryear all had a lag take away, but today's golfers rarely lag the club going back.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Jock Nickloss....

A fellow named Jack Nicklaus came along one day...

But, in the famous "Shell's Wonderful World of Golf" at Houston C.C. with Sam Snead vs. Ben Hogan, Eugenio Sarenzini sais that "Sam Snead is the person who started all of this 'one-piece business'."

Sam had next to ZERO lagging clubhead takeaway, but funny thing is, Nicklaus had some.

He had the butt of the club UP his left arm at address (yuk), but in the takeaway, had it BETWEEN THE ARMS (yeah!).

To be honest John, I think it went away because with steel shafts you didn't HAVE TO DO IT.

With Hickory, you did.

But....boy, I sure have had success using it and teaching it.

And Jim is right, you WILL FLOAT MORE and STORE BETTER if you use it.

You just have to be the "RIGHT" golfer to use it.

;)

I guess if you had me do it last Saturday I must be the Right Golfer for lagging the takeaway. If it was good enough for Big Jack, Lord Byron, Walter Hagen and Bobby Jones then I suppose it is good enough for me. Thanks for the insight.

Sustain the Lag,

John

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Now...I knew Placid! (inside joke)

Now, I WOULD teach it to someone who was swinging to the right of rush Limbaugh witha closed face...

;)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I like it!

I like that you don't get it, Leo.

That means you don't get everything. ;)

Now, try a little harder...

What would make the LCT BETTER for a hooker than a slicer??

???

Brian Manzella said:
I like that you don't get it, Leo.

That means you don't get everything. ;)

Now, try a little harder...

What would make the LCT BETTER for a hooker than a slicer??

???
Of course I don't get everything! NO ONE does ;)
I know if I exaggerate the LCT too much, I start HOOKING the ball (but I'm not sure if the reason for this applies to everyone).

Do you think the LCT promotes a more "up the wall" (steeper) takeaway and hence it can straighten out a hooker?

tongzilla said:
I don't get it. Doesn't the LCT keep the cubface closed for longer during the takeaway?

It should keep the clubhead lower and square, although there are several ways in which you can be creative.

I don't get how the "LCT" has anything to do with the face....cause once it's done "lagging" it's gonna be the same, no?

For slicers- I think this would make them take it more underplane no?

And Brian....but would you teach it to a slicer who you already have doing a Twistaway? (clubface already fixed...so lag is actually a good thing)

I would think that the more lag you have on the takeaway the more lag you would have on the downswing. If you have more lag on the downswing the hands are more ahead or the clubhead which would make it more difficult for a slicer to square the clubface at separation. Thus the slicer really hits it right. But what do I know?

Sustain the Lag,

John

birdie_man said:
I don't get how the "LCT" has anything to do with the face....cause once it's done "lagging" it's gonna be the same, no?

For slicers- I think this would make them take it more underplane no?

And Brian....but would you teach it to a slicer who you already have doing a Twistaway? (clubface already fixed...so lag is actually a good thing)

"I don't get how the "LCT" has anything to do with the face....cause once it's done "lagging" it's gonna be the same, no?

For slicers- I think this would make them take it more underplane no?"
(Sorry Birdie_man, i don't know how to use the quote system, so I just did it this way.) :)

So much of the lag takeaway and the condition of the clubface depends on the level of the wrists during takeaway (in the first few inches). Also, the backswing loading proceedure could effect the face and the plane. For example high wrists coupled with turning wrists could cause underplane and the fanning of the clubface open too early. High wrists and float loading could keep it on plane or even aboveplane with the clubface being more closed. Then again so much relies on the pivot of choice.

I really loved the front view of Rocca's swing for the lag takeaway that was posted here sometime back.

I played today and tried lagging the club during the takeaway. I started off hitting solid shots but after about 8 hole I started hitting some shanks. Could this be related to the lag takeaway or just swinging too far to right field?

Status
Not open for further replies.