lagging the hosel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone, I've been hitting the ball well lately, however, I'm occasionally lagging the hosel and not the sweet spot resulting in the occasional sh@#k.

I can actually tell that in my swing it occurs when i switch directions. I start down very aggresively and the sweet spot lines up with the hosel or as Brian would say "the ant can't see the ball".

Ok, now that I know the cause, do I just need to slow down my transition, or is there something else I should be considering.

Thanks

By Tracing the Plane Line with the Right Shoulder.

Brian, I have seen this in a few posts recently. Can you elaborate? I know the right shoulder needs to go down plane but I am having trouble with the "tracing the plane line" part. Does this mean on both the backswing and downswing? I am having trouble with getting the right shoulder down plane as I tend to over do it and hit waaaaaaaay behind the ball.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Tracing...

Imagine the Right Shoulder having a LASER pointing out of it—at the plane line.

If the Right Shoulder moved DOWN PLANE, the light would keep pointing to it on the way to and through the golf ball.

Tracing. ;)

"Stand FACING A WALL, where your head is against the wall.

Make a backswing with your arms folded across your chest.

NOTICE!! how close your left shoulder comes to the wall, as you make a backswing turn.

On the downswing, "Fit" your right shoulder in and under as CLOSE TO YOUR BODY—AND AS FAR FROM THE WALL AS POSSIBLE!!!

Fixed."

Brian, you gave this hint sometime back in 2006...My question is how far do we stand from the wall? Is it the same distance we would stand from our ball at address? Imagine the wall cutting through the ball at address perhaps?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
That's Funny....

I read that TIP not knowing I wrote it—at first.

I'm thinking, wow, that's pretty good, until I realized it was me. :p

It really doesn't matter how close to the wall you stand. The Right Shoulder will fit in closer on the downstroke.

Quick Clarification BM...

BM:

When you trace with the right shoulder, do you mean a laser coming out of the inside of the shoulder (aka, like where you would put the butt of a shotgun when shooting)?

Thanks

Dobber

Great Thread

Losing SWEETSPOT LAG PRESSURE is very often caused by UNDER PLANE SHOULDER MOVEMENT!!

Brian,

This thread needs a bump. Brian great insight. There is no substitute for a few thousand hours spent with thousands of golfers and some very keen observation on the lesson tee--thanks! Great drill as quoted by Conkanen as well.

Dariusz J.

I have come across this thread and I have decided to bring it from archives since I have a thought that I would like to discuss.

I had (and occassionally still have) a swing fault of coming to the ball with too inside a DS path. Brian's Towel Plane Drill helped me a lot so I need to remember to use this drill from time to time. But it's not the point.

I have observed that people struggling with a too inside a DS path are prone to lag the hosel when they want to hit a fade (or when they want to prevent a draw/hook) with a clubface open enough they think it will overcome the too-inside DS path.
The quick cure, for every case when being under pressure, e.g. during a tourney, that I've found is to forget to play fade and play a draw with a closed stance. The best long-run cure is to learn to hit balls with a move similar to OTT (if you happen to be out of towels...LOL) - I bet the right shoulder won't be under the plane any more.

Comments appreciated :)

Cheers

IMHO, two things to try:
1. On the downswing, make sure the right elbow is coming down close to the right hip bone-some will say this makes it worse but try it.
2. On the downswing, visualize bringing the butt end of the club down the ball to target line.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
What??

IMHO, two things to try:
1. On the downswing, make sure the right elbow is coming down close to the right hip bone-some will say this makes it worse but try it.
2. On the downswing, visualize bringing the butt end of the club down the ball to target line.

Don't you mean "two things to try" to SHANK it? :eek:

Hmmmm try this

Instead of thinking "drag the end of the club to impact" try and drive the number 3 pressure point right at the ball. Even though the clubhead travels in a circle, "the Thrust is still a straight line EFFORT towards Aiming Point."

IMO the difference between the two is lagging the hosel vs the sweetspot. If you drive the PP3 towards the ball you have no choice but to rotate the sweetspot. :D

Dariusz J.

Instead of thinking "drag the end of the club to impact" try and drive the number 3 pressure point right at the ball. Even though the clubhead travels in a circle, "the Thrust is still a straight line EFFORT towards Aiming Point."

IMO the difference between the two is lagging the hosel vs the sweetspot. If you drive the PP3 towards the ball you have no choice but to rotate the sweetspot. :D

Sounds pretty good. Now I wonder if a grip type (weak vs. strong) has its importance that it's worth discussing in the thread.

Cheers

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Well...

Flapro,

I want to apologize from the bottom of my heart for doing such a poor job of educating you since you came to my site.

I promise to do better.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Well...

"1. On the downswing, make sure the right elbow is coming down close to the right hip bone-some will say this makes it worse but try it.

2. On the downswing, visualize bringing the butt end of the club down the ball to target line."​

These two things are pretty good ideas....IF you don't have a "Lag the hosel" problem.

Because...you could do the two suggestions of yours and and STILL "lag the hosel."

Got it?

Sorry for the glib...

Status
Not open for further replies.