Launch Monitor says Don't Blame the Clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happened by a launch monitor at a golf store today and tried it out. My first 5 drives were ball speed of 143-149 mph, launch angle of 7-9 degrees and spin rate of 3800-4500 rpm. Average drive was 238-255 yards.

Anyway, the clubfitter guy just told me to 'pick' the ball off the tee and installed a longer rubber mat tee. My next 5 drives had ball speeds of 147-151 mph, launch angles of 16-19 degrees and spin rates of 2500-2800 rpm. My final drive was 151 mph, 16.5 degrees, 2650 spin.

Well, my arms weren't swinging any faster-- around 150 mph-- which is consistent with two years ago on a launch monitor. Actually, I remember two years ago reaching 153 mph with 4500 spin rate. Then, however, the clubfitter dude tried different shafts and drivers on me to fix the problem. This time, in contrast, the clubfitter dude said to sweep the ball more, put it more toward front of left foot and use a longer tee. I pre-tilted my spine and smacked the ball off the tee while hitting up up up. The debates on this forum notwithstanding, I was hitting up. That was my deliberate swing thought. I was using a 9 degree driver. The first time hitting up, I launched it at a 19 degree angle with 2900 spin rate. I toned it down a bit and got it back down to 16-17 degree launch angle on the next 4 shots, all under 3,000 RPM.

What did I do, to answer your question?: Hit up with lag-- the computer does not lie.

You bring up a great point; I've hit my longest drives when I teel the ball up and hit up on the ball.

Sorry to tell you this but that computer did lie. There's no way you can airmail 300 yards with a 150 ball speed.

quote:Originally posted by sooner

Sorry to tell you this but that computer did lie. There's no way you can airmail 300 yards with a 150 ball speed.

I am open to mathematical arguments if you have the formulas.
Can somebody out there with the technology and/or mathematical prowess calculate two distances:

1. 151 mph ball speed, 8 degree launch angle and 4500 spin rate; and
2. 151 mph ball speed, 16 degree launch angle and 2500 spin rate.

Sooner,

I edited my post so as to not make any unverifiable claims. I saw the readings myself on the computer, but my research on the web since seems to verify that the 16 degree launch angle for 150 mph ball speed and 2500 spin rate would yield a 265 yard drive. See here: http://www.titleist.com/news/newsdetail.asp?id=292&category=watercooler&subcategory=

I do know that the swing change made a difference in launch angle and spin rate, but the yardage now seem questionable.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think i'm going to stay out of this one BUT i have 2 things to add:

1) It "feels" like you were hitting up because of proper AXIS TILT

2) Unfortunately 153mph probably won't get you a 300 yard drive on MOST courses. HOWEVER, you get yourself on a "rolling" fairway and it will. Here's a "rough estimate though:"

153mph ball speed / by 1.47 efficienty = 105mph of swing speed

105mph of swing speed * 2.5 (rough estimate on maximum carry distance that is widely used) = 262.5 yards of carry.

--------

With a low spin rate and a high launch on a "rolling" fairway you should be able to get the ball close to 290 yards or so. 300 is pushing it but NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION on a "rolling fairway" as i call them. Get you swing speed up another 5-6mph and you should be able to hit the occassional 300 yarder.

What you have to understand is that launch monitors have to be setup correctly. You can "Trick" the results by how the wind is set, elevation, etc etc.

For instance the last time i was on a monitor my "best drive" with a properly setup monitor was:

14* of launch
2700rpm of spin
159 or 162mph of ball speed
272 yards of carry
19 yards of roll
291 total distance

But again, you should be able to be hitting your drives much further due to a higher launch angle and less spin.

It's 250 carry, look at the numbers on the annunciator on that link. BTW, Arch, do you remember what your swing speed was?

It's 250 carry, look at the numbers on the annunciator on that link. BTW, Arch, do you remember what your swing speed was?

The launch monitor did not have swing speed- just ball speed.

quote:Originally posted by jim_0068

I think i'm going to stay out of this one BUT i have 2 things to add:

1) It "feels" like you were hitting up because of proper AXIS TILT

Well, I don't mind opening up this debate again because I have objective data now. I have the following comments.

1. If I was not hitting up on the 16 degree/~2900 rpm launches, then it is impossible for me to hit up as that was my one deliberate swing thought.

2. While INTENDING to hit up and using a 9 degree driver with 2500 rpm spin, I was able to launch the ball at a 19 degree angle the first time, then tapering off to 16 degrees on the next 4 shots. How else could I do that if I were not hitting up?

3. I realize an argument of sorts has been made that one can hit down while the clubhead is going up, but I think that's an argument in semantics. Hitting up to me, just means that you allow the club to reach low point before you strike the ball. Reminds me of a conversation I had with someone once about glass being a liquid. In terms of molecular dynamics and thermodynamics it is possible to justify various different views that glass is a highly viscous liquid, an amorphous solid, or simply that glass is another state of matter which is neither liquid nor solid. Nevertheless, from a more common sense point of view, glass should be considered a solid since it is rigid according to every day experience. Thus, hitting up should correlate to the common sense understanding of the phrase so that someone can use the concept pragmatically.

4. My son in my signature pic is going to have to move the ball forward in his stance, because if he strikes his drives like that, they will have 5,000 rpm spin when he's older.

I was on a launch monitor this past weekend and my ball speed was mid 160's with a high of 167. So with maximum conditions, launch angle, spin rate, about how far should that be?

quote:Originally posted by shootin4par

I was on a launch monitor this past weekend and my ball speed was mid 160's with a high of 167. So with maximum conditions, launch angle, spin rate, about how far should that be?

Weren't you given a yardage reading?

yes, the 167 was 273 carry. I dont remember spin rate or the rest of the stuff. so at 165 or so what kind of spin rate, and launch angle should I be seeking, and what kind of carry distance should I expect?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Hitting up on a driver WILL hit the ball farther IF you have a flat left wrist.

But, prepare to figure out a new way to perform hinge action, a little no-roll fade works best for me.

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Hitting up on a driver WILL hit the ball farther IF you have a flat left wrist.

But, prepare to figure out a new way to perform hinge action, a little no-roll fade works best for me.

Brian,

Do you think if one were to "hit up", one should do so with ball position -- that is, hit down, but place ball at or just after Low Point so Clubhead is moving upwards during Impact Interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.