Left heel action and making a power pivot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious really. When did lifting the left heel and using it to trigger the downswing come out of fashion? You still see it with some golfers (particularly the longer hitters), but it seems to be completely ignored in pop instruction. Seems that every "legendary golfer" used the left heel action to ensure a good pivot.

Placed this back in my swing today at the range after fighting to keep it out for the last 2 years. 3 wood came alive like I've never seen. High and long shots that were a lot of fun. And it wasn't just letting the heel raise a little by the pivot pull, it was incorporating an active heel lift and plant into the transition motion.

So what's the deal with this coming out of favor? Overemphasis of image?

Jamie Sadlowski really lifts and moves his left foot. It helps me pivot and takes pressure off my knee joint when trying to get my hips open.

Not sure if it started with X-Factor - however the idea of winding the upper body against the lower body - is the Mother of this Child.

"I'm stacked..."

HA! That's good stuff.

I always thought people taught it sort of in opposition to the big leg drive swings of the 70s. Less lower body movement, better chance to return the club squarely to the ball, right? You don't see alot of footaction with guys hitting out of fairway bunkers trying to hit all ball. Personally I don't think I'm quite flexible enough to leave that left foot planted. I feel like I'm giving up some power. I think alot of better golfers are more worried about consistency then power. It really depends on the individual golfers physical make up. It seems like lifting that foot really helps my tempo too.

Last edited:
I'm quickly discovering that, probably as a side effect of playing baseball, I have no tempo whatsoever if I leave that left heel down. It's like my lower body has no idea what to do, even on pitches.

The first time I heard of the "desirability" (he said) of keeping the left heel in place - it was Faldo working with Leadbetter. Justified under the fewer-moving-parts mantra.

Nicklaus said that he was taught to leave it in place until it was pulled clear of the ground - but you could hardly doubt that he let it be pulled clear without fighting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.