Left Shoulder Travels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the shoulders are part of the Power Package and part of the Pivot, and since the left shoulder travels probably farther than any other part of the Pivot, doesn't it make sense to monitor the travel of the left shoulder to improve a Pivot Powered stroke?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I really doesn't matter...

But, I have had success BOTH by having students monitor the left shoulder AND having them monitor the right shoulder.

I will say this, you better DAMN SURE KNOW what that left shoulder should do at ALL POINT of the stroke, and make sue it does it!

:)

In my game right now.....and it's been this way for a long time......besides my hands all I really monitor is my left shoulder.

I keep my attention on it throughout........use it to make my first move back......use it to hit the ball.

For me, that's the "pivot powered" part. (of "pivot powered hand control"....the pivot does the work.......moving the hands in the way they need to move)

Nothing else just seems to work as well for me.......less "wallop!" (or ka-thwap!)

(that dynamic axis tilt thru the ball I guess)

Last edited:
In my game right now.....and it's been this way for a long time......besides my hands all I really monitor is my left shoulder.

I keep my attention on it throughout........use it to make my first move back......use it to hit the ball.

For me, that's the "pivot powered" part.

Nothing else just seems to work as well for me.......less "wallop!" (or ka-thwap!)

(that dynamic axis tilt thru the ball I guess)
birdie_man,

Than you are ready to take on Jorgensen’s “The Physics of Golf” as he is also seeing the lead shoulder as a focal point. I seem to remember Ernie Else as mentioning focusing on getting the lead shoulder as quickly as possible towards his lead ear during the downswing.

Guys,
Can you define what you term as "left shoulder?"..

Is it just the muscular section around the shoulder joint, or does it include the shoulder blade, etc, or could it be defined as the "left top quarter"?....

I wouldn't think it matters much. If one part of the shoulder moves up, back and in, then the whole thing does, delts and joint both. For example, even though the shoulder blade is part of the shoulder complex technically, it wouldn't serve much of a purpose it this type of discussion, except to cause some confusion, I think.

Last edited:

I wouldn't think it matters much. If one part of the shoulder moves up, back and in, then the whole thing does, delts and joint both. For example, even though the shoulder blade is part of the shoulder complex technically, it wouldn't serve much of a purpose it this type of discussion, except to cause some confusion, I think.

Yes but if you say, "lift your left shoulder," you can do that without raising your left chest or ribcage..if you see what I mean....

I just focus on the whole shoulder.

When I really think about it though, it's kinda like "using my left shoulder to turn my right shoulder." (of course)

That is a feel of mine and of course there is more going on.....lifting, etc.......but when I'm golfing I just kinda do it. (separate from me sitting here thinking about how it works)

The point here though is that for me the left shoulder controls the entire motion.

Yes but if you say, "lift your left shoulder," you can do that without raising your left chest or ribcage..if you see what I mean....

Yeah, I know what you mean, considering the physical nature of the shoulder joint. I don't think it's a big issue, in the context of the downswing itself. While it could be done, I'm sure it would take a concerted effort to move the left shoulder on the downswing, without moving the rib cage, or the rest of the upper body (since the right and left sides are connected by the club). I don't think that it is something you should worry too much about. I'm sure somebody else probably has a more enlightening answer on the subject than that.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

You know what, you're right however i haven't seen 1 student do that ever in a lesson because it's not "golf like" and no matter what their ability level they know they have to get their whole left shoulder/side up and back.

You know what, you're right however i haven't seen 1 student do that ever in a lesson because it's not "golf like" and no matter what their ability level they know they have to get their whole left shoulder/side up and back.

Thanks Jim, so whenever you guys say left shoulder it means left quadrant....understood...

Status
Not open for further replies.