"Left shoulder up"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both Brian and Jim have stated that for most people "left shoulder up" works better than "right shoulder down" for fixing an over-the-top downswing. I'm very curious as to why that is the case.

I had never tried left shoulder up before, but I tried it in my back yard today after seeing my swing on tape. I saw that I was doing a horrible upper body lunge towards the ball, leading my downswing with the left shoulder (diving down).

I reasoned that if I focus on "left shoulder up," the left shoulder can't possibly dive down to the ball at the same time. It worked fine in my yard with whiffle balls, but I'm anxious to see how this works for me at the range and on the course. I'd also like to see my results on tape with this new swing thought.

Am I on to the main reasoning for left shoulder up, or are there other, more important reasons for its preference? Thanks.

gumper

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Like everything else...it DEPENDS!

Left shoulder up works better for some people, some of the time.

I have greatly improved my downswing pivot teaching as of late, and using NEW drills for the right arm/right shoulder—the BALL BOUNCE and ROLL straight drill, as well as for the "MANZELLA RULE," which is matching the opening of the shoudlers with the tilting of the axis DEGREE for DEGREE.​

The reason "Left shoulder up" may work better for you, Richard (gumper), is because of your particular pre-Manzella downswing.

Just make sure your tailbone stays ahead of your neckbone, and "throw the drunk" off your back! :D

New drills

Thanks Brian. Can you please describe the new drills? Of course, we'd all love to see a video eventually:)

gumper

Status
Not open for further replies.