Left thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
My right forearm pickup isn't always "magic" and sometimes I take club up on plane best by focusing on my left thumb. Is that even reasonable or too bizarre to continue?

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by Ripper

My right forearm pickup isn't always "magic" and sometimes I take club up on plane best by focusing on my left thumb. Is that even reasonable or too bizarre to continue?

Yes.

I assume you mean yes bizarre, not yes reasonable, altho in Steve Elkington's book he said that after the takeaway he focuses on getting left thumb to point up as soon as possible in backswing.

holenone

Banned

I assume you mean yes bizarre, not yes reasonable, altho in Steve Elkington's book he said that after the takeaway he focuses on getting left thumb to point up as soon as possible in backswing.

The Pre-Impact functions of the Left Wrist (7-18) serve a different purpose than the Right Forearm function in Start Up (2-F).

Thanks holeinone. I must admit that while I understand a great deal about the golf swing, I'm ignorant when it comes to TGM so I don't understand your response. I do like this forum in spite of my ignorance because you all seem to be so knowledgable and dedicate when it comes to teaching. I just want to know How not Why. My post about left thumb was a little facetious, altho it is helpful for short high pitches and bunker shots. Thanks to you, I do focus in right arm takeaway which does simplify the backswing.

holenone

Banned

Thanks holeinone. I must admit that while I understand a great deal about the golf swing, I'm ignorant when it comes to TGM so I don't understand your response. I do like this forum in spite of my ignorance because you all seem to be so knowledgable and dedicate when it comes to teaching. I just want to know How not Why. My post about left thumb was a little facetious, altho it is helpful for short high pitches and bunker shots. Thanks to you, I do focus in right arm takeaway which does simplify the backswing.

Ripper,

Forgive us TGM Brothers in the Bond for being somewhat obtuse. Let me be more direct:

When Steve Elkington focuses on his Left Thumb in Start Up, he is talking about using his Left Forearm to Swivel the Clubface On Plane. When TGM focuses on the Three-Dimensional Start Up, it is talking about using the Right Forearm to take the Clubhead simultaneously Up, In and Back On Plane.

Thanks holeinone. My swing seems best when I focus on keeping right palm facing the ball on takeaway. Not sure if this is the same as right forearm pickup, as your twin never did finish the instructional series on The Magic of the Right Forearm on the Chuck Evans website!

holenone

Banned

Thanks holeinone. My swing seems best when I focus on keeping right palm facing the ball on takeaway. Not sure if this is the same as right forearm pickup, as your twin never did finish the instructional series on The Magic of the Right Forearm on the Chuck Evans website!

Yeah, I know. And he didn't finish the Hinge Action thing, either. I get on to him every now and then about how he should try to finish them up, but he just mutters some nonsense about "There is no 'try,' only 'doing or doing not' and I'm doing not." Then he tells me that we're 900-and-something years old so people should cut us some slack. Go figure. :)

EdZ

New
As a takeaway feel, I agree, the left thumb 'can' get you off track - but feeling the 'plane of the left wristcock' - from the outside edge of the hand/pinky, in plane with the left thumb, under the shaft, down the plane - can be a very valuable 'guide', especially as a 'downswing' feel.

Right hand back, left hand through can be a useful swing image for some.

Left hand karate chop from 45 degrees to target line.

Edz - I agree altho for some reason works well as takeaway feel on pitch shots. Original question was poorly phrased. My real question now is whether keeping right palm facing ball is the same as right forearm takeaway.

Status
Not open for further replies.