Left wrist and Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone just had a quick question on the hands at setup. I've read Brian's setup article and watched Building blocks before and I always wondered about something.

My question is for a right-hander, what is your left wrist position at setup? Sometimes I try to setup with the left wrist completely uncocked not neutral, i.e. it is actually cocked to the LEFT. I do my backswing fully cocking my left wrist, then when I hit the ball I assume it fully uncocks to my address position because of gravity/CF whatever release is. I'm not sure if this is correct but it seems to make sense (in my head at least :)). But this makes the shaft rather parallel to left arm, and setting up in accordance to Brian's article or building blocks seems impossible to get the shaft horizontal to the ground waist-high unless you have your wrist neutralish. Wouldn't you want to setup with the left wrist fully uncocked to see how the club impacts the turf? Or this stuff doesn't really matter?

I too am curious to know how much 'cock' should be in the left wrist at address.

But in answer to your final question:
'Wouldn't you want to setup with the left wrist fully uncocked to see how the club impacts the turf? Or this stuff doesn't really matter?'

Here I'd say no. Setup position is NOT impact position. Your left wrist is bent at address and flat at impact, so I assume that if it's fully uncocked at impact it will be less than fully uncocked at address.

Would this also debunk that clubs shouldn't lie correctly of the sole at address as it only matters at impact?

I ask this as I would wonder how much set up dictates impact?

I know of one pro, also well-known out here on the internet, who does argue that your clubs should lie slightly toe-up at address. But as I recall, his argument concerns more the flex of the shaft at impact than it does the uncocking of the wrist.

It would be great to get some expert info on this.

Anecdotally, it does seem logical to me to say that since 'impact hands' and 'address hands' are very much distinct, then there is no reason to assume that the clubface should lie correctly at address. For that matter, I suppose there's no reason to assume that the clubface should be square at address either.

dbl

New
No offense, but I think terms are being misused. Is the question about the left wrist's cock (vertical orientation) or it's bent/cup (or flat) position (horizontal orientation)?

I don't think I misused the terms, I'm pretty sure it's wrist cock. I'm talking about the left wrist, which mainly cocks and uncocks during the swing. At address the left wrist is also bent for mid-body hands and somewhat flat at impact, so I understand fronesis' point. But hopefully we can get a final answer since the uncocking seems to be more tied to the vertical movement of the clubface, and I'd like to know for sure :). For example for simple chips I play with impact hands. If I don't remember to completely uncock, gravity will do it for me. It feels less consistent if I have to adjust for it as well.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
High Hands...HIGH!

The left wrist uncocks during the downswing.

The shaft bows down during the downswing.

The left shoulder is MUCH farther from the ball at impact.

That's why you should set up LMOTPITHOF.

:)

Also, why very few players match the "shaft plane' set at address with the angle of the shaft thru impact.

Most people have more "cock" in the left wrist at address than impact, the weight and force of the club pulling "down" also forces the hand's higher.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.