"Let your Swing Balance You"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, does this imply hitting or swinging? Also, is this more of an Els type swing, or a Tiger type action?

Thanks.

My instructor told me to this about allowing my swing to balance me throughout the stroke.

I obviously don't know your instructor but he might be on about over-acceleration of your power package (arms and shoulders). This might be an issue in your swing as probably is an inadequate pivot. Balance and correct sequencing "a la - a good pivot" go hand in hand.

Also, is this more of an Els type swing, or a Tiger type action?

Thanks.

They both have two feet :D Balance starts from the ground up and the inside out.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Not to be a smart alleck but you should ask him to elaborate. He's on your dime. I'd sure like to know what he meant. Seems a little vague.

Not to be a smart alleck but you should ask him to elaborate. He's on your dime. I'd sure like to know what he meant. Seems a little vague.

vague is the new teaching, these instructors tell you what you should do and you have no idea what he's talking about. Yet, he doesn't know how to show you what he meant.

Guitar Hero

I am with Kevin on this. Have the instructor show and explain it so you can understand what he is trying to have you do.

He was addressing my tendency to get too much lateral hip slide to my left, through impact, in addition to the excessive axis tilt. The swing looks as if their is just "too much effort" for even a standard 8 iron swing, so, we are working on eliminating excessive lower and upper body action...becomming smoother and in sync.

So, the "drill" is too feel like the swinging of the club brings my body through the shot (not dead legs mind you, just mitigating the excessive hip slide/axis tilt) to a relaxed full finish with belt buckle facing the target.

Thats what he was alluding to with that phrase....

Guitar Hero

He was addressing my tendency to get too much lateral hip slide to my left, through impact, in addition to the excessive axis tilt. The swing looks as if their is just "too much effort" for even a standard 8 iron swing, so, we are working on eliminating excessive lower and upper body action...becomming smoother and in sync.

So, the "drill" is too feel like the swinging of the club brings my body through the shot (not dead legs mind you, just mitigating the excessive hip slide/axis tilt) to a relaxed full finish with belt buckle facing the target.

Thats what he was alluding to with that phrase....

"just mitigating the excessive hip slide/axis tilt) to a relaxed full finish with belt buckle facing the target"

It could be as simple as slowing down the action of the down swing pivot that might give help you. Give it a try.

I may have this wrong. Are you implying that your swing keeps you balanced or are YOU trying to stay balanced within your swing? I think that if lines and angles are on point then you'll be in balance. If your lines and angles are wrong it should throw you off.

Ask for an explanation. "He's on your dime." Great quote and great to see if came from a golf instructor~!

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Balance in the golf swing is what of those chicken/egg things imo; personally a good swing produces balance and a bad swing throws you out of balance. If you want to work on balance then you must work on your swing mechanics. That's just me

Balance in the golf swing is what of those chicken/egg things imo; personally a good swing produces balance and a bad swing throws you out of balance. If you want to work on balance then you must work on your swing mechanics. That's just me

Jim,

Would you think...as far as swing mechanics goes...that it's *mostly* working on your pivot?

3JACK

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"Let the Swing Balance You"

There is at least a shred of truth in almost every famous teacher's methodology.

Ballard is right about the backswing pivot and mid body hands at address.

Haney about a flat left wrist and "matching clubface."

Leadbetter about not getting laid off at the top.

Hardy about swinging more left.

Harmon about a wide backswing for power.

And Jim Flick....

He is trying to be right about how the swinging of the club dictates the pivot, but he doesn't quite say it right.

When someone says: "Let the Swing Balance You," to me that is using the force in the swinging clubhead to tell you body how and when to make counterbalancing movements.

That's why I think that the back&forth drill is the most important in golf.

So, was it an Els or Woods thing?

No, I think it was an Jones thing.

Ernest Jones.

I think this really illustrates the concept of the "swing balancing you" and shows how Brian's use of the word counterbalancing is so important. Balance and the swing are symbiotic, each communicating with the other and adjusting at the same time. Ideally it all turns into a single feeling.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsplhHXQy0[/media]

Last edited:
I think this really illustrates the concept of the "swing balancing you" and shows how Brian's use of the word counterbalancing is so important. Balance and the swing are symbiotic, each communicating with the other and adjusting at the same time. Ideally it all turns into a single feeling.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZsplhHXQy0[/media]

yes, I got the concept. Its the mechanics of making it come to life thats the challenge.

Again, I think this hammer throw really illustrates the basic mechanics of any balanced swing. His posture is perfect, his lower body maintains a slightly seated, athletic position throughout. Just before he snaps his kinetic chain (he does this three times) he drives the ball of his right foot into the ground forcing his momentum towards the apex at which he plans to let go. As the hammer collects this momentum, his weight shifts and slams against a stacked and solid left side with his posterior counter-balancing the mass of his arms, the chain, and the hammer.

I think the hardest part of the golf swing is feeling as though you're already in motion before you begin the back swing. That's why throwing the hammer or swinging a bucket of water tied to a rope is so much more intuitive than the golf swing. Feeling the right time to snap the kinetic chain is easy once momentum is already established.

Look at Vijay:

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2o8WHCRNy0)

The first move he makes is kicking his right knee toward the target. I think this move contributes immensely to his rhythm because it makes him feel as though his core momentum is already established before his club/arm/shoulder unit begins the backswing.

Edit: Embedding video didn't work. Just cut and paste the link if you're interested.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.