Lie Angle vs. Bad Swing on Ball Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone knew just how much an ill-fitting lie angle would effect your ball flight? I've never been fitted and I wonder if it is THAT important, or should I stop giving excuses and adjust my swing after a push etc.? Reason I ask is sometimes I'd push with irons and be fine w/ other clubs, then correct it in my irons and then be hard fading/pulling my wedges/woods. Is this bad swing, bad lie angle, or bad axis tilt/open shoulders?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Always Always Always fix your lie angle FIRST, then fit your equiptment.

You have to have lie angles that "fit" your current swing and where that club is coming in. I have irons that are 2* upright when they should be between 1-2* flat.

For me to hit them i have to make HORRIBLE compensations in my swings to keep them from going left that it impedes my natural motion.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
4 deg = approx. 22feet ofline based on a neutral swing with a 9 iron(who has a nuetral swing?) longer irons have less spread pattern due to loft change

Okay so it sounds like a legitimate concern then. 22ft w/ a 9iron!?

Always Always Always fix your lie angle FIRST, then fit your equiptment.

What do you mean by this Jim? I should check if my lie angles are in spec then go get fit? :confused:

Only reason I'm iffy about getting fit is because my swing isn't really where I'd like it to be and maybe fitting would let me get away bad swings or be off when I find and groove my pattern. :rolleyes:

Great question! I'd like to know the answer to this also. My clubs are 4* upright and wondering if this is correct for me. I'm now working on some changes in my swing since my lesson with Brian. Should I bend them back to more neutral lies and adjust them to my "new" swing later? Thanks Jim

Okay so it sounds like a legitimate concern then. 22ft w/ a 9iron!?

What do you mean by this Jim? I should check if my lie angles are in spec then go get fit? :confused:

Only reason I'm iffy about getting fit is because my swing isn't really where I'd like it to be and maybe fitting would let me get away bad swings or be off when I find and groove my pattern. :rolleyes:

I think Jim's saying that lie angles are only part of the fitting equation, but since they can be checked and changed very quickly. You can get those done first, and then when you have the time, you can get properly fit. Each factor affects everything else in the fitting process. Even the flex of the shaft you get fit for will affect the ideal lie angle for you.

Also, don't assume that you'll be the same relative lie angle all the way through your set...

I flattened a few irons late last year and it made a huge difference.

Still gotta tweak it but I suspect the set I buy this year is gonna be 2-3 degrees flat. (PING S58s orange dot I think)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I think Jim's saying that lie angles are only part of the fitting equation, but since they can be checked and changed very quickly. You can get those done first, and then when you have the time, you can get properly fit. Each factor affects everything else in the fitting process. Even the flex of the shaft you get fit for will affect the ideal lie angle for you.

Also, don't assume that you'll be the same relative lie angle all the way through your set...

Great answer

bray

New
4 deg = approx. 22feet ofline based on a neutral swing with a 9 iron(who has a nuetral swing?) longer irons have less spread pattern due to loft change

Four Barrels,

Where did you get this info.???
and What speed is a neutral swing??

Just want to learn more.

Sorting Through the Golf Nut's Catalog.

B-Ray

Leek

New
Great question! I'd like to know the answer to this also. My clubs are 4* upright and wondering if this is correct for me. I'm now working on some changes in my swing since my lesson with Brian. Should I bend them back to more neutral lies and adjust them to my "new" swing later? Thanks Jim

Get fit. It's pretty easy to do. The lieboard won't lie.

I did get fit but that was before some of my new swing changes. When I first got these irons they seemed to be consistantly landing right of where I aimed. After fitting, there was a big difference. Now I just have to stop aiming left so much! I was wondering if swing changes would change the results on a lie angle board now compared to before? Thanks Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.