Lie Angles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading the forum on this topic, and it seems that there is a consensus that extremely upright clubs are bad for most players.

I'm 5'11" or right at 6', with a wrist to floor of about 34.6". My previous 5 iron was 38" at 63 degrees of lie. I got fitted for this set early in my foray into golfing. Since then, I've acquired two sets with the 5 irons at the same length, but at 61 and 62 degrees of lie angle.

Do these numbers sound like the clubs are too upright for me? I know that you would probably need more info or to see my swing, but I don't presently have any video.

I know that in the past I've fought an OTT and steep move to the ball, which I'm trying to shallow out, and turn into a "Soft Draw" type of swing. Saw Brian in the past for this, and will be seeing him again on Saturday.

Any thoughts?

Did you get fitted at a golf shop or did you have a professional fitting?

Big difference in the two.

Apples and oranges of course.

Just asking because if you are putting too much faith in an improper fitting, you will pull your hair out figuring this one out. Been there, done that.

You can use the below link to find a professional certified fitter in your area...

United States

-Dan

All sets I play are Wishon, made by a custom fitter. The first fitting was conducted on a launch monitor, and I went back later for lie angle adjustment. However, I will say that I didn't really want to hit the lie board the first time around (mental thing, I suppose), so there was a little bit of guesswork involved.

My newest set was made by a local Wishon fitter who takes all the info via a form (wrist to floor, swing speed, etc.) and comes up with basic recommendations. I was able to provide pretty accurate fitting data to him from my previous fittings, as well as other driver fitting sessions and launch monitor lessons that I've had since then. He initially wanted to put me in a 61 degree 5-iron, but went with 62 after he read the specs on my old clubs.

You just told me your first fitting involved "guess work" and the 2nd fitting was influenced by the 1st fitting. I am on you side here man, but I am not convinced you have been properly fit. The static aspect of your fitting leaves much to be desired. Perhaps a professional certified club fitter could be of use to you. 2-3 hours of your time and about $150 would be all that is required if you deem it appropriate.

-Dan

I think that indoor fitting with launch monitors is not as good as being
able to actually hit balls off of grass. I've done both. I did an Driver fitting
at a place in Knoxville, TN that was indoor and then outdoors to the range
to test out the four finalists.

You just told me your first fitting involved "guess work" and the 2nd fitting was influenced by the 1st fitting. I am on you side here man, but I am not convinced you have been properly fit. The static aspect of your fitting leaves much to be desired. Perhaps a professional certified club fitter could be of use to you. 2-3 hours of your time and about $150 would be all that is required if you deem it appropriate.

-Dan

I agree.

Just to clarify, the first fitting involved several hours of hitting clubs, etc. It was the lie angle adjustment at a later date that involved a little "guesswork." For whatever it's worth, I've had them checked by the same fitter again, and they looked ok. However, I'm curious if my previous OTT move may have dictated that I had more upright clubs, and disguised the fact that they might have been a little overdone.

Nevertheless, I still think that it leaves something to be desired. As far as the second fitting goes, I knew what I was getting, and knew that adjustments could be made later. I'm planning on either visiting a local fitter on Friday regarding the lie angles, or maybe just waiting to get Brian's opinion on Saturday.

For all I know, he may tell me that I'm good to go. I just read a lot of lie angle posts over the last few days, and it sparked my interest.

Adjust swing to suit the clubs or adjust the clubs to suit the swing?

That is a question I have been asking myself lately.

The answer (for this minute) relies on the confidence in the swing.

Problem is, I can't answer that question. Ha ha...

-Dan

Adjust swing to suit the clubs or adjust the clubs to suit the swing?

That is a question I have been asking myself lately.

The answer (for this minute) relies on the confidence in the swing.

Problem is, I can't answer that question. Ha ha...

-Dan

I completely feel you on this one. That is a little bit of the conflict that has been rolling around in my head: at what point is "fitting" counterproductive if it accommodates a bad move? Sure, you might get better immediate results, but how does that affect your game long term?

Just to clarify, the first fitting involved several hours of hitting clubs, etc. It was the lie angle adjustment at a later date that involved a little "guesswork." For whatever it's worth, I've had them checked by the same fitter again, and they looked ok. However, I'm curious if my previous OTT move may have dictated that I had more upright clubs, and disguised the fact that they might have been a little overdone

You should ask the first fitter. There are two options for the fitter
1) He measures the lie at impact and correct it until the Lie is correct
2) He looks at the ball flight and changes the LIE so the ball flight is slightly better.

Option 2 is the reason for the more upright lie's these days as they "help" to reduce slice..... Please note the "" around the word help :mad:

If Option 1 is done then your OTT (and i guess also outside-in) move might cause a clubfitter to incorrectly read the marks when using a LIE board and yes the adjustments could be incorrect.

But my major remark would be to not continue with that second person using only static data to "fit" you. You are not fitted! I agree with DanattheRock about spending some more time with a real live fitter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.