Live! from New York its the Manzella Academy School with Brian, Mike and Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 1

Day 1 was fantastic. I had a great time and learned a lot about my swing and what I need to do. The day went just as Brian outlined in his course schedule which was a really great way to run a clinic. I feel like the different perspective's from Mike, Ben and Brian were helpful, more like three legs of a stool, not three different opinions in a debate. Sure, Ben Doyle is going to have a really different way of expressing himself then Brian, they use very different ways of delivering information. But how could you not feel like 20 minutes in a sand bunker with Ben isn't some kind of baptism? He almost didn't let some students out!

Mike Jacobs really got after my fundamental problems and showed me how to correct them, while Brian gave me 'my swing'. Like a sculptor putting his hands on the wet clay and pushing it around until it looks right to his eye. Not a metaphor either, Brian really gets in there and moves you till you know what it is supposed to feel like. And he tailors what you can do for you. I'm a 25, and I know he's not trying to make a tour player out of me. But we made so much progress today, I'm pretty sure we hit the point where we should leave well enough alone. I've got a swing I can work with and that was all I came to get. I can't wait for tomorrow's short game clinic.

These guys are good.

--Peter

Brian Manzella

Administrator
We are having a good time on Long Island with a great group of six students.

We worked for about 10 and a half hours yesterday on everyone's games. There is never enough time in the day—or something like that—Ben Hogan said.

Full day today. I'll report back tonight with the results.

Jayro1

New
Thanks.....

to you, Mike and Mr. Doyle for helping me with my game. It was a thoroughly enjoyable 2 day experience. Well worth the price of admission.

Day 2

The second day started out with the indescribable experience of having three GSED and you live on camera making a personal take home lesson tape. Then we got our introduction to the 'Manzella matrix' short game along with Ben's sand clinic where we punched out the line. Lunch and lightning arrived together. We only got in 15 holes of golf, but playing with the pros was another opportunity to solve problems that you can't cover on the range. Mike found my alignment issues right away, while Ben and Brian helped speed up my routine. Both adjustments helped. The playing lesson was invaluable in making the swing changes real in my mind. Seeing results on course means more to me than on the range. Even if it meant I flew the green a few times today because I don't know my yardages anymore!
--Peter

Brian Manzella

Administrator
All in all...a great day of golf.

I get really sad on the last day of a school.

You get to know the folks who attend, get really familar with their swings, and hope that you can get every part of their games "just so" by the time they leave.

This was a great group and we are learned a lot (I learn every time I teach, esp. schools).

Mike Jacobs and I will be doing two schools on Long Island next year, May and August.

See you there!

2 great days

I get really sad on the last day of a school.

You get to know the folks who attend, get really familar with their swings, and hope that you can get every part of their games "just so" by the time they leave.

This was a great group and we are learned a lot (I learn every time I teach, esp. schools).

Mike Jacobs and I will be doing two schools on Long Island next year, May and August.

See you there!

Time flies, indeed.

I wish I could spend more time picking Brian, Ben, and Mike's brain. Unfortunately it is over in a blink.

As the gang know, I am the hard case for Brian. Even though I was only 2 years of playing golf, I may have spent too much time grooving my self-taught swing. Well, with my old swing, I was decent on short to mid irons and relatively consistent with my driver as well. However I have trouble of breaking 80 so far.

Brian and the team noticed my problem right away -- my back swing pivot is screwed up, a classic reverse pivot. No wonder I did not fully realize my distance potential. Well, the hard part is to correct it. Trust me, I will work my butt out in front of mirrors to fix it.

One question, Brian:
In my back swing pivot, can I load more on my right side and maintain a lower left shoulder instead of the level shoulders? Borrowing the terminology of those "one-plane" guys, can I keep my shoulder plane on or close to my arm plane in the back swing while loading on the right side ??

Thanks again! Brian, Mike, and Ben really opened my eyes to the golf.

oh, Ben is such an extraordinary person!

-------------

Jay

Great time on the Island

I think the guys have said it all. What a great experience. Certainly one that I did not want to end.
I can say, without a doubt, that I left the weekend with a new understanding of what a fundamentally sound golf swing should be for me and a plan to implement the necessary changes.
I know that this game is a continual work in progress, unfortunately, I have made very little of it over the last couple of years. After this weekend, I have no doubt that this will change.
Brian, if I don't see you in New Orleans, I will most certainly see you on one of your many Tour Stops in the upcoming year.
Thanks again to Brian, Mike and Ben for an unforgettable weekend.
Tom

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Brian was the only finisher he played the whole round and did very well, he can play all the shots. I only got in about 14 holes ...... He hit a driver out of the high rough - it was something else

All in all a fun tour stop ---- Looking forward to hitting the road with Brian at some other tour stops and hosting 2 here next year

A little late in replying to this thread as my vacation with the family immediately proceeded the golf clinic.

The two-day clinic is the single best golfing experience and worth every penny. Brian, Ben, and Michael are natural born teachers. Each has their own style and way of communicating but each are deadly effective. I purchased NSA a few months ago and watch it frequently. The clinic really brings NSA to life in a personal way for your body type and swing. All three of them are very down to earth and extremely friendly...and VERY charitable when it comes to critiquing every aspect of your swing.

I am not sure there was a moment during the two days that Ben Doyle wasn't teaching or instructing. During pizza for lunch on the first day he continued to discuss compression of the ball, forward leaning shaft, etc. At the end of the first day I was slated to spend about 15 minutes with Ben (which was part of a final wrap-up of the day as you move from Brian to Mike to Ben in a circuit). An hour later Ben was still educating my hands from set-up to the end of the swing. I can still hear him "One to store, two to load..." Don't be deceived by his quiet and soft-spoken demeanor, he is a real wizard, a very Yoda like character who wants to make sure you understand the golf swing. If Steve Elkington hadn't called Ben during our session, I think Ben would have had me on the range for another hour. At 8:00 a.m. the next day as I was hitting balls on the range, he came right over and picked-up where he left off from the day before...incredible and inspiring.

Brian was simply outstanding throughout the clinic. Not only does he know this stuff like no one else, he communicates it in a very straightforward manner that you experience positive results immediately. I chatted with every guy after the morning sessions and each one could not believe how quickly Brian identified some swing flaws, made a few adjustments, and how soon they were hitting crisper shots. Brian records your swing several times throughout the school so you see how you are progressing and what you need to work on. The tape doesn't lie but when it is backed up with great constructive points from Brian, Ben, and Mike you know you are getting outstanding golf instruction. I have an even greater appreciation for the knowledge shared on this website and Brian's video shorts since attending the school.

Mike was also great and really helped me appreciate the idea of swinging left after contact and getting my pivot to get a full and complete rotation of my body through the swing. Immediately I was smacking my 7 iron down the range. I purchased his Explosive Golf DVD at the pro shop and watched it several times on vacation it was a great compliment to the school.

Unfortunately I could not play a round of golf on Sunday afternoon due to work obligations. However, I spent 4 hours in my car in some of the worst rain and thunder in years thinking about nothing else but what I learned at the school. I had music on the radio but my mind was rerunning almost every aspect of the school. My fellow classmates were great guys. The facilities and hotel were excellent. The teaching was world-class. If Brian comes close to your area, try your best to get to one of his schools. Instead of wasting money on equipment and balls, thinking that is the way to shave a few strokes off your game, spead your money wisely on one of these schools. It will change your perspective of golf completely, it did with me anyway. I will play golf for the first time since the school this Wednesday and can't wait to use what I learned at the school.

Brian, Ben, and Mike...Many, many thanks.

Jim

P.S. Mike, the Italian hoagie I had Sunday was awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.