Long Driver Clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody know how much swing speed increase you're supposed to get by going from a 45" to a 48" driver. (Assume 110mph to begin with) Obviously, the weight of the club increases, but at what point does the increase in weight counteract the increase in clubhead arc?

Obviously lots of variables here, but I think you'd want to use a lighter shaft to minimize the weight increase. And I know that the longer shaft would cause more off center contact as well. I also heard the longer the shaft, the less loft you need.

Anybody experimented with a 48" driver. What observations?

You all have heard my rants about how I love my new 6 degree driver (45 inches). I wander how well I would hit a 48" 4 degree driver,

quote:Originally posted by Archie Swivel

Anybody know how much swing speed increase you're supposed to get by going from a 45" to a 48" driver. (Assume 110mph to begin with) Obviously, the weight of the club increases, but at what point does the increase in weight counteract the increase in clubhead arc?

Obviously lots of variables here, but I think you'd want to use a lighter shaft to minimize the weight increase. And I know that the longer shaft would cause more off center contact as well. I also heard the longer the shaft, the less loft you need.

You all have heard my rants about how I love my new 6 degree driver (45 inches). I wander how well I would hit a 48" 4 degree driver,

IF all things remain equal, you could gain 2-3 mph per inch. Of course, the swingweight will be heavier on a longer club, as will the overall weight. Also, the extra length would make the shaft play softer than a shaft of the same flex. As far as hitting it off center, just get some impact tape or a dry-erase marker for the face and practice until you dial in center-face contact. I played rounds with a 50" long drive club (I broke my regular driver), and it was my most consistent club. That is, until I broke that, too:(

quote:Originally posted by Bigwill

IF all things remain equal, you could gain 2-3 mph per inch. Of course, the swingweight will be heavier on a longer club, as will the overall weight. Also, the extra length would make the shaft play softer than a shaft of the same flex. As far as hitting it off center, just get some impact tape or a dry-erase marker for the face and practice until you dial in center-face contact. I played rounds with a 50" long drive club (I broke my regular driver), and it was my most consistent club. That is, until I broke that, too:(

Were you hitting the 50" longer-- or at least just as far with less effort?

Erik_K

New
You might gain some distance, but I can't imagine your accuracy would improve very much (planning on qualifying for some long drive contests, Darby?).

I think Tiger plays with 43.5" in driver, and I am not 100% sure, but doesn't Els play with a 44 or 45" driver? And he's like 6 foot 3, or even 6-4.

Were you hitting the 50" longer-- or at least just as far with less effort?

I was longer, but I'm not sure how much I picked up; I broke it before it was time for me to start gearing up for the contest I bought it for, and I don't pace off my driver yardage during rounds. I just knew that I was flying the net at the back of the range I hit at. It was an 8* head, which was too much loft for that club and my swing. I was spinning the heck out of the ball when I made centerface contact.

quote:Originally posted by Erik_K

You might gain some distance, but I can't imagine your accuracy would improve very much (planning on qualifying for some long drive contests, Darby?).

I think Tiger plays with 43.5" in driver, and I am not 100% sure, but doesn't Els play with a 44 or 45" driver? And he's like 6 foot 3, or even 6-4.

The accuracy isn't as big a problem as you would think, once you get used to it. The bigger problem, at least for me, was transitioning from such a long club to a short iron for the next shot.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Tiger played 43.5" in steel, he then moved to 44.5" in graphite and finally settled on 45" in graphite.

Also, it has been confirmed that Singh and Phil M. have been experimenting with 47" drivers to try and keep up with the REAL long ballers on tour.

Well, I couldn't resist, so I went to the launch monitor again today- this time with my 6 degree 45" driver and with a 4 degree 48" driver. My launch monitor stories don't appear to intrigue the forum, so if I get a "motion" by the forum that is duly "seconded" I will go to the trouble of telling more. :)

Archie, I am really ineterested in your findings. I have Cobra 10.5 and 9 degree drivers. I hit the 9 degree driver longer hands down, and have no loss of control. I also hit the ball high, so thinking of 7.5 degree driver and toying with the idea of long shaft. So, please do tell us what you found with the 4-degree driver.

Spin rate stayed the same with the 4 degree as with the 6 degree- I expected this because of the longer shaft. Out of 30 hits, ALL were between 1995 and 2250 spin rates. My launch angles were similar as well-- 12-13 degrees.

Swing speed with the 45" club was 112-114mph. With the 48" club, swing speed was 116-119 mph. Average difference was about 4 mph.

Ball speeds with the 45" were around 153 and with the 48" were 159.

Top ball speed with 45" was 156. Top ball speed with 48" was 163.

Top carry with the 45" was 282 yards. Top carry with the 48" was 295 yards.

Archie, Thanks. Those are significsnt numbers. Did you notice any more side spin with 4-deg driver. Some places show the flight pattern on a screen where you could see if it is staright, slice, hook etc...

Would you try the 4-deg driver in the course? or have you?

I have a consistent out-to-in swing 3-5 degrees, which I compensate for with a clubfaces closed 1-3 degrees. I found it was worse out-to-in with the longer driver unless I concentrated on coming in-to-out. When I really concentrated on in-to-out with the longer one, I actually came in straight. The true test will be on the course.

I used it on the course today-- ball goes a long way but its hard as hell to tame. I'll probably sell it for what I have in it plus shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.