Lost my driver swing with SD 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, I'm not dissing SD 1.0 because it really has helped me immensely.

Before I changed to it, I was so confident with my driver and really hitting it well.

Now that I've tried to apply the SD 1.0 pattern to it, I can't hit it worth a damn and I have no idea where it's going.

Can anyone give me some insights as to what I might look at?

Again, I am hitting 3iron to wedges beautiful. Trying to do SD with the driver, I am all the sudden steep or hooking. But in with all that is a lot of goofy misses that have people ducking.

Thanks!

Last edited:
i always find that if i do something like 'the underhand javelin throw' i cant really pull it off with a driver, as there isnt enough loft. when i experiment with NSA, espcially wedding ring up, with the irons it works great, but the driver just sorta goes low, starting left and hooking sharply.

i'd suggest trying less of that particular move with the driver

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Check your wrist action. If it is getting bowed at the top, then a steep downswing is imminent.

Make sure to get your thumb more underneath the shaft at the top.

First off, I'm not dissing SD 1.0 because it really has helped me immensely.

Before I changed to it, I was so confident with my driver and really hitting it well.

Now that I've tried to apply the SD 1.0 pattern to it, I can't hit it worth a damn and I have no idea where it's going.

Can anyone give me some insights as to what I might look at?

Again, I am hitting 3iron to wedges beautiful. Trying to do SD I am all the sudden steep or hooking. But in with all that is a lot of goofy misses that have people ducking.

Thanks!

I have found that if my tempo quickens (with the driver a real problem with me) this is what happens. Have you tried hitting the slow motion drivers until you find your "redline"? This usually does the trick for me.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Through the ball

If the "one last point" is TOO FAR TOO THE RIGHT—for you—with a Driver, you will have the trouble you ask about.

Just swing to the SD finish, and let the "one last point" take care of itself.

I have made myself 100% better at just the basics-alignment. Amazing looking at just were my driver is pointing, I was so far off this spring (also my putter). Just try this before playing. Grab a 2x4, point it at your target (or 1% open), place the driver behind the 2x4, bet 90% people are off. Why make the game harder or comping all the time. Just periodically spot check or have someone randomly check ya. You wont regret it!

My hooks got better today by swinging more easy. Ball was still going 260 or so. Couldn't believe how easy it felt. Try it!

dbl

New
Can I say something about this thread title?

And I mean no disrespect to someone (Bill) who is needing help.

But it seems to me there is no way anyone can "Lose their driver swing with SD 1.0" if the SD 1.0 pattern is used. It works for driver or wedge. "My driver swing" sounds like something that is viewed separate from SD. The animal being discussed is apparently his pre-SD driver swing with his understanding of some SD components applied to it.

What I like about the Manzella process that is evolving is, with these videos, you can "buy a pattern" and then learn it. So it seems to me that the prescription is that you adopt the pattern 100%, then customize it a bit if you feel like it. BUT imo you don't come into the learning process holding tightly onto old swing thoughts/components and trying to morph them into the pattern.

Can I say something about this thread title?

And I mean no disrespect to someone (Bill) who is needing help.

But it seems to me there is no way anyone can "Lose their driver swing with SD 1.0" if the SD 1.0 pattern is used. It works for driver or wedge. "My driver swing" sounds like something that is viewed separate from SD. The animal being discussed is apparently his pre-SD driver swing with his understanding of some SD components applied to it.

What I like about the Manzella process that is evolving is, with these videos, you can "buy a pattern" and then learn it. So it seems to me that the prescription is that you adopt the pattern 100%, then customize it a bit if you feel like it. BUT imo you don't come into the learning process holding tightly onto old swing thoughts/components and trying to morph them into the pattern.

It's late and I just don't feel like typing. Let me just say you got this one wrong in your assumptions of what I am doing with my swing. I wasn't executing SD 1 before I had it (though SOME of it was in personal instruction Brian gave me). When I understood the pattern enough to make the switch (from watching the video about 20 times), that's when I started having driver issues. That wasn't the case with my old swing and I'm not trying to hang on to that swing. Night, night!

dbl

New
Okay, so if you are trying a 100% SD swing, then perhaps a more accurate title might be:

"Having trouble with driver and SD pattern" or

"Need assistance with driver and SD"

From your two posts on page 1, it wasn't clear how you were "applying" SD "to your swing."

Hopefully this post is more in congruence with your situation.

Might help...

Okay, so if you are trying a 100% SD swing, then perhaps a more accurate title might be:

"Having trouble with driver and SD pattern" or

"Need assistance with driver and SD"

From your two posts on page 1, it wasn't clear how you were "applying" SD "to your swing."

Hopefully this post is more in congruence with your situation.

Whatever dude..I got my question answered successfully. Those that took the time to answer got what I was asking.

I'm now off to howtoproperlyexpressmyselfinagolfmessageforum.com. You should go to takealittlemoretimetoreadaforummessage.com.

Ok....a little more success...

I tried a little bit of glcoach's, benhogan555, and Brian's suggestions. All were of some help.

Played yesterday and hit 5 beautiful drives, 3 very high but straight drives, and 3 hard hooks.

I think it turns out that I'm just not feeling the SD takeaway with the driver (meaning I must be doing something wrong). Don't know why. I just feel weird taking it back...which makes the transition feel off.

Slowing down, checking the wrist/thumb at the top, and making sure the one more thing was just right of the target produced a better day off the tee. But not a lot of confidence that I was over the hill on figuring out what's going on. Still a lot of inconsistencies. I've got some diggin'
to do.

I am hitting the irons (using full SD pattern)...top to bottom...very well and have no trouble feeling the entire swing with the irons.

Well....not sure if this is right but...

I got the driver working well today.

In setting up for the driver...when hitting it well...I've always tilted a bit to the right. When I started swinging with the SD pattern, I eliminated the tilt.

So, after a couple of bad drives, I put a little lean back in the set up and the rest of the round was great. I was able to do the SD pattern with driver and 3 wood with much greater success.

So, gonna leave that in there for now and see if the success stays.

Bill, you might want to check how far right of the target your clubs points at the top of the swing. If it's too far, could be causing some of your problems.

THanks...

Bill, you might want to check how far right of the target your clubs points at the top of the swing. If it's too far, could be causing some of your problems.

THat goes along with what Brian was saying about the finish...check to make sure everything is not too far right of the target.

Really, I think a little tilt right at address was all I was missing. Not much, just a little to get flatter coming into the ball.

Gonna try that for a couple of rounds and be mindful of where the club is pointing at certain points of the swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.