Low Hands at Address

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been noticing vastly improved contact and sweetspot lag feel by really dropping my hands at address, pressing them down a bit so the toe sticks up a little. Seems to temper my hook a good bit. Any idea why?

greenfree

Banned
Been noticing vastly improved contact and sweetspot lag feel by really dropping my hands at address, pressing them down a bit so the toe sticks up a little. Seems to temper my hook a good bit. Any idea why?

I noticed the same thing, i think it's easier for me not to over-rotate my lafw and have a better takeaway when i do it, which translates into better contact. I don't know about the hook aspect though.

dlam

New
I notice this too, I think this is because my wrists are prec0cked upward at set up so I dont have to do this at my backswing. Sometimes when I m tired I downc0ck my wrist at setup rather than have then hinged. This leads to poorly compressed shots.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Easy Question, Simple Answer.

When your hands are low, and the left arm flying wedge is really big, rotating it 90° moves the clubhead a BUNCH!

When you hands are really high, and the left arm flying wedge is really small, rotating it 90° moves the clubhead a LITTLE BITTY BIT!

So, which one do you think is easier to OVER-Rotate?

;)

greenfree

Banned
When your hands are low, and the left arm flying wedge is really big, rotating it 90° moves the clubhead a BUNCH!

When you hands are really high, and the left arm flying wedge is really small, rotating it 90° moves the clubhead a LITTLE BITTY BIT!

So, which one do you think is easier to OVER-Rotate?

;)

Which would be easier to feel if you over-rotated the lafw?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Anytime you use the #3 accumulator (or LAFW) properly it can tame a hook. Higher VSP and a clubhead "on top" of the plane can be results of this.

I forget that dude from Oklahoma's name but if you're out there, thats for you! (is it jbrunk?)

To Brian's question: The angle of the left arm to the shaft increases (more oblique) as the hands are raised, and decreases (more acute) as the hands are pressed down. Are you referring to the total flying wedge triangle area by saying "bigger" vs. "smaller". And maybe I just need to think about it more, but i don't know which is more apt to over-rotate and why. I'll give it some thought.

To Kevin: Who in Oklahoma? I've been looking for a "local" instructor, and would appreciate the reference!

Thanks!

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
To Brian's question: The angle of the left arm to the shaft increases (more oblique) as the hands are raised, and decreases (more acute) as the hands are pressed down. Are you referring to the total flying wedge triangle area by saying "bigger" vs. "smaller". And maybe I just need to think about it more, but i don't know which is more apt to over-rotate and why. I'll give it some thought.

To Kevin: Who in Oklahoma? I've been looking for a "local" instructor, and would appreciate the reference!

Thanks!

Hes not an instructor

Do you also try to get to the low hands at impact? Are you bent over any more or just have the hands lower?

Within a certain limit, you can bring the hands lower or higher without changing posture, although the clubhead moves farther or closer to your foot line. I do feel when I press the hands down that I get lower and stay lower throughout the swing. As Brian would probably say "bent over more like a real golfer". :D

dlam

New
I have seen tour player slide the clubhead when addressing without altering their posture.
They are sliding the forearm/hands during address.

Status
Not open for further replies.