LOW POINT CONTROL—Cause or Effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Absolutely, collision makes the club go down.

My bad.

I should have been more clear.

Does the SWING and all its components make for good low point control, or does specifically practicing "low point" make for good low point control?

I vote for the SWING.

Low Point Control

You can definitely control low point by consciously controlling the SWING.

Good point about you, Brian, you will come back!! Great attribute regarding your passion for continued learning.:)

To one of the best!

Mk

I think a consistent proper posture makes for good low point control. If the golfer is hunched over like Quasimodo his low point will be by his right foot. Standing too tall will cause thin or whiffed shots. Maintaining proper spine angle is key.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I think a consistent proper posture makes for good low point control. If the golfer is hunched over like Quasimodo his low point will be by his right foot. Standing too tall will cause thin or whiffed shots. Maintaining proper spine angle is key.

I hate to tell you this Chip but, the girls on the LPGA Tour, who can buy and sell us into slavery, don't do anything like what you are proposing.

Does the SWING and all its components make for good low point control, or does specifically practicing "low point" make for good low point control?

I vote for the SWING.

Exactly, It would be like practicing your vertical leap but only working on the down part (bending your knees and putting pressure into your feet to push off the ground) and completely disregarding the push off UP part of the jump.

I vote for rythmn.

I had it last Friday. My playing partner said a number of times that he didn't have to look at my ball flight because he could tell from the sound and the perfect divot pattern. I was zinging them in close with little effort.

Will I have it next time? Maybe, maybe not. It's a bitch getting old.

SJO

New
Swing, no doubt. You shouldn't have to conciously think about low point. I don't think that someone who worked on having a low point 4 inches forward would have any more contol over it, than a player with a good swing who didn't work on it purposely would. Although Bobby Clampett might disagree with me.

greenfree

Banned
Can you work on individual parts of your swing or do you have to work on the whole movement/all the parts at once? If you can just isolate one thing at a time, why not low point practice as one of those things along with all the other components?

Does it have to be one to the exclusion of the other?

vandal

New
Interesting question. If you start at where you want low point and then work on hitting that consistently, would it matter what the swing looked like? And, what would the swing end up looking like doing this?

It is the effect of the swing either way, because, if you consciously think about the low point singularly, then you are altering your swing to do so. If you choose to alter your swing to achieve the low point, then it is also an effect of the swing. Thusly, either way the low point is an effect of the swing, they are just a different approach toward the result

Brian Manzella

Administrator
It is the effect of the swing either way, because, if you consciously think about the low point singularly, then you are altering your swing to do so. If you choose to alter your swing to achieve the low point, then it is also an effect of the swing. Thusly, either way the low point is an effect of the swing, they are just a different approach toward the result

That's not an answer.

So I'll ask you a different way...

SHould you alter your swing JUST to make a divot in a certain place?

I kind of like what I heard John Daly say. Make me a swing and show me where you're divot is. Now make that same swing and put the ball before your divot. Doesn't matter where your swing puts your low point, you can always find a way to make sure your ball is before it, even if it means playing the ball off your back foot.

SHould you alter your swing JUST to make a divot in a certain place?

Brian, I think that what you are trying to ask is more in regards to the learning process. Those that are more goal oriented may tend to think singularly about the divot or low point only and allow the swing to be reactive to this. While those that are more process oriented may tend to change or alter their swing in order to achieve the correct low point or divot in regards to the ball. Most people though tend to fall somewhere in between, tending to change their swing for a desired low point but also allow for some reactivity during the swing with regards to their desire to achieve the correct low point. So personally I believe in the latter because its purpose is to put your club in a better position for reactivity to the desired result and let your instinctual coordination cause the correct low point from there.

I think the swing is the key, but practicing it can help to a degree. And I wouldn't tell anybody to avoid practicing it, but I would work on the mechanics of the swing as the main theme to achieving better low point control.

3JACK

I think on a chip shot, you can control low point easily, but for a full swing, it's definitely about the swing, and about whether you can avoid being ball bound. On the days where I hit it well, ball then turf, I'm never thinking about where to send my hands, I'm just moving pivoting better (usually by avoiding an overswing).

Status
Not open for further replies.