Manzella "Easy Does It" Pattern...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian (9/28/2010):

"I have a new pattern that I am working on at the request of GTE member who asked me to develop an "easy on the older body" pattern.

It is called "Easy Does It"

It don't look like anything we are discussing, or anything you have seen from me."

Brian, have you made any progress?

Perhaps you could share a few "bits & pieces"?

Last edited:
Can an otherwise fit older person hit superior golf shots when hampered with the inabilty to turn the shoulders more then 70 degrees during the backswing. What issues does this problem create and how can a player work around them?

Thanks...

Previously, I've watched and was greatly inspired by Mr. Lumpkin's positive attitude and golfing skills. Surly it wasn't your intention to make me feel guilty for asking such a question?

I'm here simply looking for some direction on how I might work around my physical limitations and improve my game.

Last edited:
Thanks...

Previously, I've watched and was greatly inspired by Mr. Lumpkin's positive attitude and golfing skills. Surly it wasn't your intention to make me feel guilty for asking such a question?

I'm here simply looking for some direction on how I might work around my physical limitations and improve my game.

Absolutely not. Just an inspirational clip.

"Can an otherwise fit older person hit superior golf shots when hampered with the inabilty to turn the shoulders more then 70 degrees during the backswing. What issues does this problem create and how can a player work around them?"

The problem with your question is that the only specifics you provide are "fit older person" and "70 degrees".
Some background like, age, handicap, maybe how far you carry your driver, or 7 iron, would help. Even with this
info, in my opinion, it boils down to golf fundamentals. Someone who has been a better golfer can figure out how
to get the job done inspite of increasing age.

I play golf twice a week and Seniors League, 55up. I think in general age up to early 70's does not necessarily
relate to handicap. We have at least 6 guys from 68 to 72 who are from scratch to 4. I would say pretty confidently that none of them go much beyond 70 degree shoulder turn. Our best player is 70 and is like machine off the tee. Accurate as hell and routinely lands it at 250. Definitely doesn't turn his shoulders more than 70 degrees. He's just a jock that works very hard on his game.

Maybe your shoulder turn thing is really a pivot technique issue. If you don't have enough hip turn on the backswing, then you will have difficulty reaching the magic 90 degree target.

I'll Give You What I Can Remember...

"Can an otherwise fit older person hit superior golf shots when hampered with the inabilty to turn the shoulders more then 70 degrees during the backswing. What issues does this problem create and how can a player work around them?"

The problem with your question is that the only specifics you provide are "fit older person" and "70 degrees".
Some background like, age, handicap, maybe how far you carry your driver, or 7 iron, would help . Even with this
info, in my opinion, it boils down to golf fundamentals. Someone who has been a better golfer can figure out how
to get the job done inspite of increasing age.

I play golf twice a week and Seniors League, 55up. I think in general age up to early 70's does not necessarily
relate to handicap. We have at least 6 guys from 68 to 72 who are from scratch to 4. I would say pretty confidently that none of them go much beyond 70 degree shoulder turn. Our best player is 70 and is like machine off the tee. Accurate as hell and routinely lands it at 250. Definitely doesn't turn his shoulders more than 70 degrees. He's just a jock that works very hard on his game.

Maybe your shoulder turn thing is really a pivot technique issue. If you don't have enough hip turn on the backswing, then you will have difficulty reaching the magic 90 degree target.

Thanks for the reply Steve...

I'm 65 and have been playing for golf for 56 of those years. My current index is a 6.0, but I was as low as 3.2 last summer. On a warm summer day I carry my driver about 240 and my 7-iron about 155. I'm just over 6'4" tall and weigh 205.

I'm satisfied with my length... the issue I think is more about plane and impact alignments. I just can't get the hands as deep as I used to.:(

Impressive. This really illustrates the difference more background makes.

I, and I suspect others, read your first post and pictured a stiff old guy
trying to make a full back swing with little chance of getting there.

Now we know you are a stick, not a hack!

65 and still trying hard. Your brain doesn't think you are 65.

I love it. I just turned 65!

Brian. Love to get your tips on the EASY DOES IT ---DRAW pattern being a not so flexible 54 yrs young! And tnx for this great website btw

Looking at the Champion's tour for reference, what style/pattern of swing has held up the best over the years and also inflicted the least amount of damage to their body?

How about Miller Barber...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQ2zf4X6PIc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQ2zf4X6PIc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yx8bVEovI3w?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yx8bVEovI3w?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I got to see Fuzzy hit balls in person a few times at a charity golf outing. He has such a lazy looking swing, but he absolutely pures the ball. I was encouraged and discouraged at the same time.

Looking at the Champion's tour for reference, what style/pattern of swing has held up the best over the years and also inflicted the least amount of damage to their body?

How about this one...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx8bVEovI3w[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ2zf4X6PIc&feature=related[/media]

Sam Snead's swing, he had no major injuries unlike most legends and was on tour till he was 77. He made adjustments over the years, the young Sam Snead is not the model but rather the old one.

Yes, but in order swing and age like Snead you need his genetics.
The stories are that he could kick the top of a door jam at age 80.

joep

New
I believe there is a BIG difference between a 70 yr. old who`s been playing 50 yrs an a70 yr old who started at 60. I was still playing softball at 60 then took up golf. Its like starting like I was 10. I`m now 75 in good shape good turn still a hacker and enjoying it. Drive 200-210 7 iron 140 maybe and still working on my swing . And I still think I can get better. Shoot between 80 and 90 and want to shoot my age.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Sam Snead's swing, he had no major injuries unlike most legends and was on tour till he was 77. He made adjustments over the years, the young Sam Snead is not the model but rather the old one.

Sam Snead was a FREAK. He was super super flexible which i'm sure helped with his lack of injuries. I remember reading a story he could lift his leg up to his head even in his 60's.

Don't compare an average golfer to him, not a good idea.

Huge difference. I played with a guy last year that was something like 70 years old and had started when he was 56. He was complaining about his performance. I pointed out how it is much more difficult to start so late. He had also been a baseball player, so he had some skills.

There's a guy in our league who is 62. Retired Federal Judge. I have no idea how he retired so young. Anyway, has only played for 4 or 5 years and shoots low 80's. You would never guess from looking at him, but he played some serious baseball in college. He holds it wrong, doesn't understand short game shots, but he has the athleticism to get it done. He calls me his coach because I helped him last year. Then he occasionally beats me.

Without your baseball experience, you would really have a challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.