McIlroys hips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, he has been on the suit thing, that connects you to a computer and plots the moves into t a programme, helps spot things that the eye can't etc.

He has the FASTEST EVER recorded hip turn, faster than Tiger, anyone.

But is unusual, and its still blowing my mind, is that his hips rotate, stop at some point, then REVERSE, then continue to turn, and all this at a pace faster than anyone else thats ever been on this machine (an many top pros have).

Figure that out

ej20

New
I would bet my house that Rory does not feel any pivot braking to snap the kinetic chain.

It might be a scientific fact and indeed does happen on super slow mo but actively putting the brakes on the pivot early is golfing suicide.

Real and feel are completely different in just about every aspect in the golf swing.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I would bet my house that Rory does not feel any pivot braking to snap the kinetic chain.

It might be a scientific fact and indeed does happen on super slow mo but actively putting the brakes on the pivot early is golfing suicide.

Real and feel are completely different in just about every aspect in the golf swing.

And thats why brian was able to do it and increase his swing speed on the monitor? Is it a difficult move that most likely needs to be taught to people with bad pivots? Yes. Suicide? No.

+1
Fred Couples has that same 'stop-go' hips look through the ball (in slow motion) yet in his book he talks about everything being continuous. Does Freddie-pie understand completely the technical elements of his swing? - I think probably not .... but he would understand if that move were conscious and would have certaintly mentioned it in his description of his swing.

footwedge

Just looks like his right leg releases/turns around later at the end after impact , which makes it look like his hips stall and fire again. The ball is long gone before this, impact has already happened. It's nothing, just an idiosyncrasy of his swing.

I agree with JONWIL trying to brake then go again , good luck with that. Most people can't even hit through the ball, never mind braking.

Last edited:
It's almost like a trebuchet, with the hips being the counterweight, the arms the lever, and the club the sling. The way the hips stall reminds me of how the counterweight stalls after the sling releases.

ej20

New
And thats why brian was able to do it and increase his swing speed on the monitor? Is it a difficult move that most likely needs to be taught to people with bad pivots? Yes. Suicide? No.

I would say 90% of amateurs don't pivot enough compared to the great long hitting ballstrikers.They all have hips and shoulders a lot squarer at impact.

The players who display this pivot braking all happen at the point when the hips are already WELL OPEN at impact.Most amateurs cannot even get their hips open at the point of impact.

Do players like McIroy or Sadlowski feel their pivot put on the brakes?I would again bet my house they are trying to pivot as hard,fast and as long as they can through and past impact.The pivot braking just happens as a result of physics.

Players who don't flare their hips open at impact do not display this stall of the hips.For example Brian Gay.So how would you get Gay to snap his chain better?

There are some shorter hitters on tour with a hip turn that slows down to snap the kinetic chain too, just not as pronounced as McIlroy.

I too doubt that the players are doing it purposely. It is a result from a well timed golf swing where all the body parts are working when and how they should to effect the most efficient force to the ball. I also think that a person who is very kinesthetically inclined can learn to do this on purpose.

ej20

New
I am sure there are some shorter hitters on tour slows his pivot down also to snap his chain but you would need a 10,000 fps camera to see it clearly.I am sure a 40 hcp hacker slows his down also.The question is how do you it BETTER?

my hip action looks the same as McIlroys since I made a swing change some time back. What I changed was the intent/visualization of how I move my hips during the downswing. I changed it from intending to "turn" my hips (an analog movement) to "switching" my hips (digital movement) into the (almost) finished position. It was just an axperiment because I was looking for ways to get a faster hip turn, but I stayed with it because I gained significant clubhead speed.
I think after having switched the hips into position the mind then makes the hips stop somewhat abrupty for a split second before the rest of the body catches up and pulls the hips around further into the full finish.

It kinda looks like his right leg goes straight and then bends again, maybe that gives his hips that look/movement?

Burner

New
Smoke and Mirrors.

It kinda looks like his right leg goes straight and then bends again, maybe that gives his hips that look/movement?

Exactly. The straightening of the right leg makes his right butt cheek seem to go back and the subsequent re-bending of that same leg makes his right butt cheek seem to start moving again.

Just an illusion.

ej20

New
Exactly. The straightening of the right leg makes his right butt cheek seem to go back and the subsequent re-bending of that same leg makes his right butt cheek seem to start moving again.

Just an illusion.

Trying to look for things that are not really there?

He's been measured using equipment designed for those purposes,not just looking at video so it's not an illusion.

Jamie Sadlowski has an even more pronounced "pivot brake" and he does it without straightening his right leg.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3mqGYlh1jjg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3mqGYlh1jjg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Status
Not open for further replies.