McIlroy's Pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw him for 30 mins on the range last year, and followed him for 2 rounds of golf...he hits it dead straight / slight draw most the time...occasionally fades it too (unintentionally in my opinion).

I saw him for 30 mins on the range last year, and followed him for 2 rounds of golf...he hits it dead straight / slight draw most the time...occasionally fades it too (unintentionally in my opinion).

Every "protracer" shot I saw was a pretty big draw. I bet he can hit anything he needs to though. In an interview he talked about end of last year he was hitting more fades but this year he worked hard on getting back to hitting draws.

Every "protracer" shot I saw was a pretty big draw.

I agree: hard push-draws, despite Johnny Miller referring to them as pull-hooks. (And explaining in slow mo how the problem was the face was closed. My wife could see the face was open and doesn't play golf. Sigh.)

So how does one learn the Rory hard-draw pattern? ;)

I liked Johnny Miller referring to a "hard hit" yesterday...

EDIT: Sorry, I missed the other thread. There should almost be a "False J. Miller statements" Thread.

Last edited:
I agree: hard push-draws, despite Johnny Miller referring to them as pull-hooks. (And explaining in slow mo how the problem was the face was closed. My wife could see the face was open and doesn't play golf. Sigh.)

So how does one learn the Rory hard-draw pattern? ;)

He really seems to drop it inside.....kinda "reverse carry" if ya know what I mean. I'm trying to feel like Rory except with some carry to hit a little fade.

Last edited:
It is very similar to the Tiger Butch Pattern except modified to hit push draw as the "stock shot."

1) What was Tiger's stock shot?
2) How does one goes from straight draw/hook to push draw? Is it the clubface? Seems anytime I try and go left I never can start it right enough.

It is very similar to the Tiger Butch Pattern except modified to hit push draw as the "stock shot."

I was just thinking he looks a lot like Tiger in 2000 (not just the runaway win). The preshot routine looks similar and the swing has a similar look.

What are the modifications for the push draw? What was Tiger's "stock shot" 1999-2002?

ej20

New
I seriously doubt many people can even get remotely close to Rory's swing.He has played golf since he was one and it's the kind of swing you can only develop at a very young age and even then it depends on your genetics.His flexibility is bordering on ridiculous.

He he can drop his hands almost vertically at the top from a very deep position(club well behind his body) while still able to utilise enormous hip rotation.There is no way,no how the average person can hit those positions dynamically during the swing without tearing a bunch of tendons.

Status
Not open for further replies.