Measuring off the tee shot by soleing club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been having trouble making center face contact with the driver. I tee the ball real high. Seems I make better contact when I hover the driver at address rather than soleing it to the ground. But I never see any pro to this. What are the pitfalls to this? I actually make good center face contact when I hover, but I do hit some push-slices doing that.

Archie

When you sole the driver on the ground do you set the club so the ball is more towards the toe of the club?

Dave

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman hold the driver off the ground centered behind the ball. Nothing wrong with that. That is how you are supposed to measure your distance from the ball. Then you can either hold it there or let it drop to the ground without changing your posture, which would then position the ball off the toe of the driver.

Tom is on the money here!

Not doing this is why most pull their arms in to find the sweetspot of the clubhead.

ldeit

Damn, I felt like I should have known this. I just went out to my garage and addressed my driver and then held the grip and walked behind and saw the ball was off the hosel! Every club in my bag was that way. Is that one reason I've always felt a bit"bunched up" at impact? Maybe I'll get a bit more out of my driver now with better contact?

vandal

New
Is it also correct that the method described in 2-J-1 should apply to ALL clubs? If this is done you will notice that once you sole your club it will appear to be aligned closer to the toe, though not all the way there. The distance seems to depend on the club.

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
quote:Originally posted by vandal

Is it also correct that the method described in 2-J-1 should apply to ALL clubs? If this is done you will notice that once you sole your club it will appear to be aligned closer to the toe, though not all the way there. The distance seems to depend on the club.

Yes

I tried hovering with the driver back when Norman did it. It just seemed to create to much tension in the forearms.

I hate hovering.....hate hate hate hate hate hate.

Just isn't right at all for me....and I like using the ground to sweep it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.