Medicine Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Training with a medicine ball is supposed to be good for golfers(core strength).

Swimming was once thought to be detrimental to golf... I think that has now changed. What do you think?

I think golfers with bad backs possibly should avoid the HEAVY training club.

What is a good golf workout... for strength, speed, flexability, and has aerobic benefit?

Do you use the medicine ball now?...if so, how heavy?...I would think that all the twisting would be beneficial..sorta strectching with weights..and you don't need a partner....I'm looking forward to
seeing the replies here...

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Swimming bad for golfers?! HA!

Tell that to my friend who was an all state swimmer, weighs about 140lbs SOAKING WET and i helped him add 5lbs of muscle, he has the metabolism of a 4 year old LOL.

Anyway he swings around 118-120 and i've played golf with him where he is routinely over 300 yards with his driver and 275-280 with his 3 wood (short steel shaft)

That driver was before the launch monitor stuff too...he's using an old 975D with a Vista Tour 70 inserted all the way through no where near optimized.

Try: http://www.theswingball.com/

Ernie Els will be doing an informercial on this very soon. Many of the golfers that I work with have purchased one. With the snow on the ground in Massachusetts, it is a good workout now that we, unfortunately, have the time.

quote:Originally posted by swingeasttowest

Over $100 for that stuff. Waste of money. Just grab a 5lb weight............

The price went up. That is what happens when you get big name tour players involved.

Hey, my members have to spend their tournament credits on something. One can only have so many golf shirts, putters, bags......;)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You want to hit it further (and better).

Improve your technique and your machine.

Basketball, football, soccer, weights, aerobics....anything or everything.

If one didn't have enough time to do all of that... I think some type of aerobics, proper stretching, medicine ball training, along with good technique is a good start.

quote:Originally posted by lagster

Training with a medicine ball is supposed to be good for golfers(core strength).

Swimming was once thought to be detrimental to golf... I think that has now changed. What do you think?

Damn, I hope not...I've started swimming regularly since I put my grandkids on a USS swim team.

Something else I've started doing might be detrimental. I resumed playing racquetball after a 20 year layoff (used to be pretty damn good). But that sure ain't the way to train your right wrist to stay bent through impact!! :)

I saw the infomercial with Ernie Els for the weighted ball training aid. I don't know why one could not just use a small medicine ball to do the same training. This aid does, however, have a strap that attaches to the ball, that attaches to the hands in a certain way.

I think the heavy training clubs may not be good for golfers with back trouble. Do you think the golf fan (air resistance)device might be easier on the body?

EdZ

New
Any athletic motion is good for your golf. Why - because good athletic motion involves BALANCE and is SMOOTH - both very important in the swing.

Don't waste your money on Ernie's ball. You can do the same thing with just your hands.

(and still nobody from TGC admits to reading these boards, not Rick Smith of course)

Hey Brian what do you think of Smith and Wiren?

quote:Originally posted by lagster

I think the heavy training clubs may not be good for golfers with back trouble. Do you think the golf fan (air resistance)device might be easier on the body?

Absolutely, in addition you also get a wonder feel for clubhead lag with the swing fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.