Medicus/Refiner: do they ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....have a place on the TGM training table---in terms of teaching swing plane, grip, takeaway, transition etc etc....

feel free to direct to previous threads..

any input appreciated.......are there better training aids...?

EdZ

New
many here may disagree, but I think the medicus is one of 'the' best

the 'pure swing' (rovergolf) is another that is very good

in TGM terms, it is much more of a 'swinger's' aid, than a 'hitter'

check out Weir's swing on Redgoat's site for the kind of motion it will give you

Ed, you're the Rovergolf fan. How do these things work? The first one is pretty self explanatory. i can see that the second device apparently keeps you from scooping with the left wrist, is that correct? The third device is the one that I cannot see anything about. Looks like a ball on a golf club shaft. How does it work? What is its' MO?

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by FanofHogan

Ed, you're the Rovergolf fan. How do these things work? The first one is pretty self explanatory. i can see that the second device apparently keeps you from scooping with the left wrist, is that correct? The third device is the one that I cannot see anything about. Looks like a ball on a golf club shaft. How does it work? What is its' MO?

The second one helps you keep that flat left/forearm relationship, and the way it is weighted, helps get the proper rotation through. Really lets you feel the back of the left hand/palm of the right ride 'up the rim' in the through swing. Helps you feel the 'thumb is under the shaft'. Certainly good for higher handicap players to get the proper feel (really good), and for the 'check up' for better players. I use it to warm up. The variation posted with the swinglyde (I think it was Jono's post?) gives this as well, but without the advantage of the weight to make sure that the hands rotate through. That 'Hogan' arch through the ball (see page 102) - It is designed to have the 'rod' on the target side of the forearm, but I sometimes use it on the under side of the forearm (disregarding the clubface) to feel what Brian's "twist away" action is (see Jono's post, I think it is in Brian's slice article)

The third device gives you the proper timing.... nothing too fancy about it, but it really helps you not rush the transition, and to feel the proper release. Lets you feel the proper 'set' at the top (ball falls down towards hands), and keep the lag - if you rush it, the ball moves away before it should - shows the proper action of the flail as the ball releases. A bit like the 'swing rite' - shows you where the 'click' should be.

The first one, the power angle, is great for takeaway, as well as the 'magic move', right shoulder down, hands and shoulder moving together. "keeping the spoke straight" - has a better variation on the usual training grip, which will 'fit' more people, and gives the 'gripping a ruler' feel that allows you to understand the hands/clubface relationship.

I let one of my friends, a pro at a local range, borrow them last weekend, and he really liked the 'power release' too, wasn't as big a fan of the 'pure swing' - but I think that is the better one for most 10+ handicap players - He gave them back, said he had to hide them from the other pros, for fear someone would steal them, and ordered them to use for his students.

I emailed John, the inventor of the aids, and he's a very nice guy from what I can tell.

Brian, I'm sure DL III would highly disagree, as do I - let's you feel the 'swing' and proper timing - the rock on a string. It 'will' help people 'swing' better, but then I bet that is 'really' why you don't like it, now isn't it ;)

Fan, as far as I know, there is a decent return policy on them, so you should give them a try, and let us know what you think. Each one is pretty solid on its own, but with all three, I have no doubt they will help you swing better, no doubt.

EdZ----I think I missed something---you guys are refering to items 1,2,3-----???????

Is there a "refiner" site that would show all etc?
thanks

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

sbark - we're talking about www.rovergolf.com, sorry for the confusion

Fan - I'd say 3

EdZ
You may be happy to know the Ben Doyle was using the pure swing rover golf contraption a few times. He uses it to show the axis tilt on the downswing, what he calls the load position. He didn’t like that some students couldn’t use it as easy as he liked when they loaded (top swing) and that it didn’t allow the hands to drop as low as he liked, which for Ben is very low. But it did achieve its purpose when he used his hands to place the student in the load position.

Ben works best with a towel (drag loading) and an old water bottle with sand (impact). He likes an impact bag too.

EdZ-I got thinking and then digging in my computer desk. Voila! I remembered getting a cd in the mail but never knew from where or how I came to be on the mailing list. Anyway, it is from Rovergolf. Just a short video of Martin Hall using each of the 3 items. Of course, I cant hear what he is saying, but at least have a view of the things in action. I dont know i got this cd. I dont know if there is an order for a free cd from them on their website or not.

EdZ

New
You crack me up Brian......

Beedee - yes, Ben's versions of the aids are just as good - I agree that a towel is one of the best aids you can have. The sand/bottle gives the same effect as the power release - a matter of refinement I suppose. There isn't really a training aid I have ever seen that can't be duplicated in basic concept and feel by simple objects.

Brian - did you ever study physics? ;)

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

You crack me up Brian......

Beedee - yes, Ben's versions of the aids are just as good - I agree that a towel is one of the best aids you can have. The sand/bottle gives the same effect as the power release - a matter of refinement I suppose. There isn't really a training aid I have ever seen that can't be duplicated in basic concept and feel by simple objects.

Brian - did you ever study physics? ;)
Brian cracks me up too...must be the shoulder.
I think the problem with training aids is that as an individual we have one of two and use them over and over. And to what result? After watching Ben, training aids should really be used with an instructor who introduces it briefly to support achieving a feel through mechanics. He went from hitting students with a towel, to popping a impact bag to using that Rover to swinging a snag bag by the pole. All used less then a minute at a time.

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by brianman

The MEDICUS is total JUNK.
Brian, A friend of mine asked me what I thought of the Medicus. I said that I had read posts by yourself and in the past by Chuck Evans that were not flattering. Can you go into detail why you think it is junk? What is your opinion of the latest Medicus?

With the Medicus you can do an over the top move and it doesn't break down. For hitters, the Medicus breaks down because it requires significant left forearm rotation on the backswing to prevent the Medicus from breaking down.

Guitar Hero

quote:Originally posted by FanofHogan

EdZ-I got thinking and then digging in my computer desk. Voila! I remembered getting a cd in the mail but never knew from where or how I came to be on the mailing list. Anyway, it is from Rovergolf. Just a short video of Martin Hall using each of the 3 items. Of course, I cant hear what he is saying, but at least have a view of the things in action. I dont know i got this cd. I dont know if there is an order for a free cd from them on their website or not.
Fan email me your address at info@rovergolf.com and I will send you the latest DVD from Rover Golf showing all three products.

Thanks,
John W Rohan-Weaver

Brian Manzella

Administrator
ALL of rover golf's products are MANZELLA APPROVED and will be sold on my new site.

The Medicus does not allow for a good solid takeaway. It makes you do it DAINTY.

Among 100 other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.