MERION

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the distinct pleasure of teeing it up at Merion yesterday, and, phew, what a place. One of the few golf courses that has ever exceeded my expectations, it's truly a magnificent piece of property. It's already started to take shape for the 2013 US Open: the fairways are about as wide as bowling lanes in many places - not only did we walk down the second fairway single file, but also sideways!! - and the rough is punishing...(I actually thought I'd warped into one of Dariusz's Hall of Fame dreams;))
Took a look at the plaque from where Hogan whistled that 1 iron aboard way back when, and got the distinct impression that Johnson, Holmes, Woodland and the boys could probably clatter a 5 or 6 iron up there now - tempora mutantur:(
Couple of the par 3's are insanely long, with zero bailout and a landing zone about the size of a beach blanket, but, my God, they're just absolutely awe-inspiring.
I know a few of the lads on this forum are PA types and I'd be interested to hear their feedback if they've had the pleasure, and what they think the winning score will be next year.

Dariusz J.

It's already started to take shape for the 2013 US Open: the fairways are about as wide as bowling lanes in many places - not only did we walk down the second fairway single file, but also sideways!! - and the rough is punishing...(I actually thought I'd warped into one of Dariusz's Hall of Fame dreams;))

Thank you, Oliver. I do hope it would be a great tournament that will separate good ballstrikers from lousy ones independently on one's swing speed.

Cheers

Kevin, Yep, I tapped the plaque, straightened my bowtie and adjusted my waistcoat. I fact, I looked "tip...top..." (I was absolutely sure about the colour also;))
(BTW, what a breathtaking second-shot hole that is, although as wide as the fairway is, I couldn't hit it with a putter.)

bcoak - Yes, wicker baskets were out. They're very small - some no taller than 5 feet or so - so you can get beguiled into thinking it's a club or two more.

Dari - You should get that U.S visa stamped into your Polish passport and head out there tout suite. You'll have a ball, trust me.

mike - You could play that place backwards and still slap it in your top 5. It's fab.

Last edited:
I had the great fortune to play in the US Open at Merion in 1971 (Trevino and the "snake").

Quick memories -

NJ Pro named Art Silvestrone was one on my playing partners - he was 7 over after 7 holes and then played the next 29 holes in 2 under to make the cut - best 1 iron player I ever played with.

Was in last pairing on Thursday - like 2:45 pm - not easy on a 29 yr old club pro in 1st ever "Tour" event and with a nervous "Type A" personality. I was bouncing off the hotel walls by 9 am.

Teeing off the 1st hole with the fans on the porch practically in your back pocket - did not do any "Kevin Na's" and smoked a driver right down the middle. Played 1st 4 holes in 1 under by making a put from the back of the 4th green (par 5) with the hole on the front - got back on my game a little and was 3 over with 3 to play. Had to wait 45 minutes to tee off on 16 (racial demonsration - Gary Player's group was like 3 groups in front of mine) - again tough on the "type A" - decent drive just in to 1st cut of left rough - 2nd shot hit well but pulled slightly - hit tree on left just over the quarry - ball back into quarry - made triple and then finished double double to shoot 80.

Hitting a wicker basket with a greenside bunker shot on #12 and having the ball drop down almost in the hole.

Played respectable on Friday with a 5 over 75.

Rough during the practice rounds was almost "knee high".

Never made it to another US Open though qualified for the "Sectionals" numerous times - did qualify twice for the US Senior Open (Pinehurst - finished about 40th) and Cantebury CC - MC.

At my age - almost 70 - nice to have something like this to look back on from time to time.

Bruce

Thanks for sharing Bruce. The reason so many of us club pro's and top amateurs try to qualify for these events, is the slim chance to be able to tell this kind of story and have this memory.

Merion is the best. Last time I played it with Damon Lucas we played as golf should be played. Carried our bags. No yardage book. No rangefinder. Oh and there are ZeRo yardage markers on the course. It's special.

I had the great fortune to play in the US Open at Merion in 1971 (Trevino and the "snake").

Quick memories -

NJ Pro named Art Silvestrone was one on my playing partners - he was 7 over after 7 holes and then played the next 29 holes in 2 under to make the cut - best 1 iron player I ever played with.

Was in last pairing on Thursday - like 2:45 pm - not easy on a 29 yr old club pro in 1st ever "Tour" event and with a nervous "Type A" personality. I was bouncing off the hotel walls by 9 am.

Teeing off the 1st hole with the fans on the porch practically in your back pocket - did not do any "Kevin Na's" and smoked a driver right down the middle. Played 1st 4 holes in 1 under by making a put from the back of the 4th green (par 5) with the hole on the front - got back on my game a little and was 3 over with 3 to play. Had to wait 45 minutes to tee off on 16 (racial demonsration - Gary Player's group was like 3 groups in front of mine) - again tough on the "type A" - decent drive just in to 1st cut of left rough - 2nd shot hit well but pulled slightly - hit tree on left just over the quarry - ball back into quarry - made triple and then finished double double to shoot 80.

Hitting a wicker basket with a greenside bunker shot on #12 and having the ball drop down almost in the hole.

Never made it to another US Open though qualified for the "Sectionals" numerous times - did qualify twice for the US Senior Open (Pinehurst - finished about 40th) and Cantebury CC - MC.

At my age - almost 70 - nice to have something like this to look back on from time to time.

Bruce
Bruce, a fabulous wander down memory lane there. Really enjoyed it.
That first teeshot is incredible, being literally 5 paces from the porch. There was a wedding party there on Sunday, but when I stepped up to hit, even the guitarist stopped strumming - Really cool but very unnerving.
What do you think today's crop of pros will shoot next year?

Having Merion Golf in my back yard is truly special...it's about 2 miles from my club. One of the few places I've seen that gives you goose bumps just driving past.

I played it last week and I was amazed at the lines you have to take just to hit the fairways. Its mentally exhausting, constantly challenging yourself to aim at trouble, knowing the bailout is non-existant. It's still very playable, though, and if we get rain during Open week, the winning score will be 10 or better under par. Firm and fast, the winning score will be around par.

That being said, I love Merion Golf, but Oakmont is every bit as good.

Merion is a wonderful place. I agree with all the comments. If they get rain there is a stretch of 6-7 holes in the middle that will produce a lot of birdies. You just cannot hide the pins from wedges and short irons if the greens are soft. If it stays relatively firm it could be one of the best opens ever. It is truly a great golf course.

Forgot to mention the most interesting thing about my 1st round - my walking scorer was none other than Glenna Collett Vare - multiple US and Canadian Women's Amateur Champion (back in the 1920's)- she was 68 years young at the time - the LPGA Vare Trophy (lowest stroke average) is named for her.

Bruce

Brian Manzella

Administrator

Quick memories -

Bruce

Forgot to mention the most interesting thing about my 1st round - my walking scorer was none other than Glenna Collett Vare - multiple US and Canadian Women's Amateur Champion (back in the 1920's)- she was 68 years young at the time - the LPGA Vare Trophy (lowest stroke average) is named for her.

Bruce

Just totally super cool stories!!!

Thanks, Bruce.

Bruce,
If you wouldn't mind sharing, I believe the steps you took leading up to your U.S. Open will be happily recieved. Maybe even your set make-up, physical conditioning, and would you repeat anything or throw out some things.

+1

I thoroughly enjoy reading, and benefit tremendously, from the stories/recaps of our professional playing members. I really dig the playing perspective you guys share.

More thoughts on Merion (1971) and other thoughts also – long

Here is what I can remember about my days in professional golf.

“Turned Pro” in 1965 (age 24) after getting out of the Army. Was probably a decent 5 hdcp at the time (delighted if I shot 75). Worked as an Asst. at 4 clubs (5 yrs) in Va. & Md., and became Head Pro in 1970. Better player by then and began winning a few one day local “Pro-Am” events.

Can’t remember much about the “Local” Qualifier in 71 (it was 36 holes back then instead of the 18 today), but the Sectional was at Montgomery CC in the Gaithersburg (Md.) area. In the field were Deane Beman , Tom Kite (both Am’s at the time) and Lee Elder. Par on the course was 73 and I believe I shot either 144 or 145 to make it. Both Beman and Elder qualified, but Kite did not – he had just come back from the Walker Cup matches in the UK. It was about 100 degrees that day and I am not sure how I made it through the day, but it was brutal.

I was a “Hogan Staffer” back then – Persimmon Driver & 3 Wood (what else), Hogan Blade irons (can’t remember the model) 1-PW + a standard 56 deg SW. Custom Made Bulls Eye “La Femme” putter with no line on top of the blade. That model at a slight flange on the bottom with very rounded toe and heel. Still have that putter (not in use though). Used that putter in every competitive round from 1968 thru early 1993. I wore the leather grip almost completely off right down to the old “molded” cork and rubber underlisting. I was afraid to regrip it because I was afraid of changing the “feeeel” (as Steve T would say). I finally did rewrap a new leather grip on it after I qualified for the Senior Tour in late 1992. Titleist Balata Ball (100 compression) – still a Titleist Ball guy.

Back in that era, probably the most “physical conditioning” I did other than walking when playing golf was doing “12 ounce curls” at the bar after a round. I was pretty fit though – 5’10” and about 165 pounds – still have the 165 pounds plus an additional 40.

I was a Head Pro at 2 clubs (Evergreen CC, Haymarket Va. From 1970 until 1980 and at Lake of the Woods GC, Locust Grove, Va. From 1981 through 1992). I had a “respectable” playing career in the Middle Atlantic Section (Section Champ in 1991, Va. State Open Champ in 1973 and 1990, Match Play Champ twice). I qualified (through MAPGA Section qualifiers) for 4 Kemper Opens (2 at Congressional and 2 at Avenel), and 4 Anheuser Busch Opens (Kingsmill). Made 1 cut at the Kemper in 1992. Qualified for 4 PGA Championships (though only played in 3 – no cuts made) by finishes in the PGA National Club Pro Champ. – best finish was a third place in 1988 – 1 stroke out of playoff – final round at Pinehurst # 2 – fond memories of making 6 “3’s” on the front nine for a front nine of 32 – marred by a 2 over 38 on the back 9. Won $15,000 – biggest check of my career to date at that time.

I was fortunate to qualify for the Senior Tour as fully exempt in 1993 (finished 7th at “Q” School) and played 30 events that year finishing 58th on the Money List (about $138K). Best finish was a tie for 2nd on Long Island at the Meadowbrook Golf Club. Was 5 under for the final round and tied with Ray Floyd playing #17 – he made a long birdie putt there to go 1 shot up – I made par there. I almost holed a 6 iron on the fly on 18 (par 3) and wound up about 30 feet behind the hole. Made a good run to tie but it rolled about 4 feet past – lipped out coming back to finish 2 shots back – Bulls Eye still in play - check for about $44K.

I was a non exempt player for the next 4 years but had 5th place finish at Tampa after “4 spotting” in 1995. Finished 13th at Q School at the end of 1997 so I had partial exempt status in 1998 – played in 17 events that year. Did not make it through Q School at the end of 98 (finished about 20th after a final round of 75) and called it a day for my playing career. Worked in the corporate office of Soft Spikes for 10 years and am now retired.

I gave up my PGA membership in 2009 in a dispute over having to earn credits for Life Membership. Still am an “Associate Member” of the Champions Tour.

Just recently moved to the Shenandoah Valley (near Winchester, Va.) and am starting to play more golf – just “friendly” golf – no competitive golf. Putting has been a real struggle for me over the past couple of years – anything less than 35 putts is a good day for me now it seems – good day for me is around par but mostly mid 70’s on an average day. Would like to shoot my age this year before I turn 70 in November this year – came close a couple of time last year.

Current equipment: Driver & 3 wood – Titleist 910 D3 (8.5 set to 9.25 & 13.5 set to 14.25); Hybrids – Titleist 910 (17 & 21 with the 21 set to 20.25); Irons – Titleist CB 4- PW with KBS Tour “S” (5.5). Vokey 52 (bent to 53) and 58 (bent to 57). Titleist ProV1x. Putter is either a Taylor Made “Rossa” (mallet – 35”) or Scotty C – Newport 2.5 (34”). I also have a “Yes” belly putter then gets one or 2 tryouts a year – was horrible with it last week and am now back to the Scotty.

I have worked with Brian and Damon a couple of times (2 hour sessions) when Brian has had his “Tour Stops” in Md. Hope to get together with them again sometime soon.

Mistakes I made or wish I had “do overs”:

Worrying about how my swing looked.

Experimenting with too much different equipment when I was on the Senior Tour – very easy to get tempted to try this and that from all of the equipment companies out there. I was still playing Hogan Blades when I first went out there in 93 but had just started with metal heads and graphite for the “woods”. I would up “signing” with Taylor Made in 93 and stayed with them through 98.

Trying this “tip” then that “tip” in search of something better.

Not trusting myself enough.

Wishing I knew then what I know now (mostly gleaned from Brian, Damon, and this website).

Doing a better job of staying in shape and managing my weight.

I am happy with my place in life – wonderful wife (18 years now) – 3 kids, 3 step kids, 11 grandkids, 3 greats. I have reasonable good health (a little arthritis here and there and a bad left ankle – old football injury). I still like to practice and play. Am heading to Pinehurst for 4 days of golf the 1st week of June with 8 other good players (some were my junior golfers back in the 70s – so I better get out today and do some work on my game.

Thanks for reading – will answer any questions at any time.

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.