Messed up putter stroke.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the last month, my putter stroke has gone to hell. I started looping or oscilating the take back.

Any suggestions for curing this? I can't seem to stop doing it.

Last edited:
I purchased the Sheriff for my wife, and use it occassionally for myself. It forces a smooth on plane swing.

Just a thought.

Try the initial take back, the first 1/2 inch to inch, very slowly. Super slow with an increase in pace. Try to avoid yanking back quickly.

Good luck.

During the last month, my putter stroke has gone to hell. I started looping or oscilating the take back.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.latourgolf.net/la-tour-golf-net/pages/2616/why-do-some-women-think-that-tiger-woods-is-good-looking.html?tracker=1953"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.latourgolf.net/la-tour-golf-net/pages/2616/why-do-some-women-think-that-tiger-woods-is-good-looking.html?tracker=1953" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

I had the same problem a couple months ago. I just stayed on the putting green till i fixed it.

During the last month, my putter stroke has gone to hell. I started looping or oscilating the take back.

Sounds like you may be picking it up with your right hand (assuming you are a RH golfer) instead of taking it back low. Focus on your left hand and wrist pushing the putter head back and then staying slightly ahead through impact. You could also practice just using your left hand to make slow and low swings, back and through. Hope that helps...pm

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Sounds like you may be picking it up with your right hand (assuming you are a RH golfer) instead of taking it back low. Focus on your left hand and wrist pushing the putter head back and then staying slightly ahead through impact. You could also practice just using your left hand to make slow and low swings, back and through. Hope that helps...pm

I don't agree with this advice....

How low? And how slow?
Pushing back with the left hand will generally close the putter face,
Taking it back low extends the arm at the elbow or worse at the shoulder, which opens the putter face,
Taking it back slow interrupts his normal timing which may or may not help, but will generally change his mechanics,
Keeping the left wrist 'ahead' through impact is an opening of the clubface move, as well as a timing change,

All these clubface and timing micro adjustments COMBINED with a looping stroke .... hmmm

I wouldn't hope too much!

Bill,

Set up(without a putter) standing in your bent over putting posture(reasonably relaxed)...let your arms hang. Fit your putter to that posture first.

Then make strokes whereby you key into your timing, first without a ball, then with(but without a target).

Are you still looping?

Damon

I don't agree with this advice....

How low? And how slow?
Pushing back with the left hand will generally close the putter face,
Taking it back low extends the arm at the elbow or worse at the shoulder, which opens the putter face,
Taking it back slow interrupts his normal timing which may or may not help, but will generally change his mechanics,
Keeping the left wrist 'ahead' through impact is an opening of the clubface move, as well as a timing change,

All these clubface and timing micro adjustments COMBINED with a looping stroke .... hmmm

I wouldn't hope too much!

Bill,

Set up(without a putter) standing in your bent over putting posture(reasonably relaxed)...let your arms hang. Fit your putter to that posture first.

Then make strokes whereby you key into your timing, first without a ball, then with(but without a target).

Are you still looping?

Damon

The left hand, low and slow was simply a *suggested drill* because it sounded like he might be picking the putter up with his right hand...thus causing the loop, oscillating, loss of control feel, etc. Practicing with the left hand has always been a great drill, at least for me, whenever it felt like the right hand was trying to take over the backstroke and causing the loop/oscillating feel described by the OP. This is a favored drill for practicing putter head and putter face control. Similarly, a drill using the right hand only is a favored drill for practicing speed control. Both drills have helped me tremendously over the years.

Last edited:
Best way to check shoulder allignment is to get the top of your spine(on the front of your body at your sternum(visualise the line up your rib cage to your throat)) perpendicular to the putt line, and keep it there during the stroke.

So the shoulders should rock up and down if the above keeps facing the line?????

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
So the shoulders should rock up and down if the above keeps facing the line?????

I would use the above as a setup tool firstly, then use it in the downstroke by keeping the sternum at or slightly behind the ball position. If you do this, the left shoulder will move 'up' through the impact area, and the clubhead will move fairly squarely through impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.