mid body hands---straighter flight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have rarely, if ever tried a mid body hands set up position until this afternoon. it really never felt or looked comfortable to me. i've been fighting the pulls and drawing on top of that and ready to try anything. the guy i played with today said to try hitting with my hands more centered. well, either i just got lucky a lot, or whatever, my shots weren't pulled anymore. i still may have some draw, but not so bad. so now my question is....why? what is it that is keeping the ball going left on me? i don't feel as if i was swinging any different. my front nine was my usual impact hands at setup and the back nine was mid body. i definately noticed a difference. i'll try it again tomorrow to see if it wasn't a fluke. I just wonder why the flight is different. thanks

It possibly may facilitate more of a lagging clubhead takeaway creating more torque on the clubhead during the transition keeping you from closing the clubface as much into impact.

One reason could be that, if you have the face square to the target in both set ups, the face will be less closed if you start with mid body hands. The reason is that your hands move forward at impact, opening the face up. Another possibility is that, with the impact hands address, you're hands may not be as far forward during your real impact as they are during the set up, leading to a more closed clubface when you contact the ball.

I was involved in this very same thread on gworks. (Those guys are pretty far behind.)

Thank the golf gods for this forum.

With that said, mid body hands and LCT is something I have used more so in my teaching recently, and for the hooker, whom may have path issues, it certainly helps straighten the ball flight. Most of the time, the player can rotate the face and much as they want but the lct creates more time in the downswing to allow the face to be more open prior to impact. A nice hook fix. Also allows better sequeencing in the downswing.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
mid body hands tends to make the initial takeaway more outside than it was before and shifts the overall plane of the swing left. is it always a guarantee? no, but in most cases it helps

Thanks all. I'm still working with it but feel it may be the way to go. I now understand the why and benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.