motorcycle countersteering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old news Im a biker from way back, wait is this somwhow related to golf?

It's a good example of something that everybody (everybody who isn't falling off their bike all the time, that is) does, even though it's counter-intuitive - so much so that some experienced riders will even deny that they do it.

I don't really have an answer, but I think there is an interesting parrellel between the two. With a bike, you have to tip the center of gravity into the turn using a bit of countersteer. If you turned the wheel sharply in the direction you want to go, inertia would flop the bike and the rider over. I think the same goes for golf in that you need a little out-toss to get control of the club head before/as you whip it through. A whip without establishing control = instability.

As both a golfer and motorcyclist, to me the similarity is ... understanding how to properly utilize counter-steering and the D-plane in order to get the desired result. (It is often the opposite of what you may think initially.)

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
The only thing counter-steering and golf have in common is that there are many things in golf that are "ba dum dum" counter-intuitive to what you think you should do.

I play/teach golf and as you can see in my sig, like my scooters ;) so i know a bit about both. :)

I think Kevin has it. A moment arm is in play similar to the figure in MacKenzie's paper on the physics of the laid off club.

And it can save you. Trying to lean yourself through a curve that you have taken too fast is suicide. Pushing that front wheel towards that 10 wheeler in the opposite lane works and is excellent for character and sphincter development.

The only thing counter-steering and golf have in common is that there are many things in golf that are "ba dum dum" counter-intuitive to what you think you should do.

I play/teach golf and as you can see in my sig, like my scooters ;) so i know a bit about both. :)

BTW Jim, what happened to that Italian crotch rocket.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Trying to lean yourself through a curve that you have taken too fast is suicide. Pushing that front wheel towards that 10 wheeler in the opposite lane works and is excellent for character and sphincter development.

The only reason leaning would make the bike go into a turn is if by trying to lean you accidentally put pressure on the inside handlebar and caused a counter steer to occur ;)

Anything over 5-8mph requires a counter steer to get the bike where you want to go whether you realize it or not.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
BTW Jim, what happened to that Italian crotch rocket.

No crotch rocket, was a MONSTER (literally Ducati Monster :))

I sold it, imo bikes are meant to ridden just like golf clubs are meant to be played (not collected as many do) and living in Chicago, there just isn't good enough riding roads around here. In all honestly i have more fun blasting around on my 13hp scooter than i did on my 85hp Ducati.

Now if i lived somewhere that i could properly ride it i'd own it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.