Muscle Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unexamined and unchallenged, the term, “Muscle Memory,” sounds plausible enough, and makes a catchy phrase to toss around. A second look, though, shows it to be a distinct misnomer. It is apparent, however that, historically, it has been used as a hopeful, clever means to present an idea that was regarded as important. For whatever reasons, whoever originated the expression (unknown, at least by me), appears mainly to have wanted to stress something about the importance of habit development without using the word (“habit”).

Habit (the word) has largely been seen as a “dirty,””ugly” thing. It sounds to most like something they want no part of. “If you have habits, they must be bad ones.” At least that's the way the word was used when and where I went to school. Those who failed had “bad” ones, and those who succeeded were simply “good students, with no mention of the word habit. So “habit” became associated with all things “bad.” No one ever told me, you, or anyone else, “Wow, you have really good habits!” Psychologically, “habit” is on the unwanted, “no-no” list.

It seems that whoever started the “muscle memory” deal wanted to get away from that word - “habit” - especially its connotation. OK. So far so good. The problem is that it has generated a legion of mythologically based perceptions that have seduced the pursuits of golfers, particularly, and spawned a ton of advertising that has no reality in it. How long has it been since you saw an ad for a training device, for instance, that did not claim to build “muscle memory?” (An estimate is that several million dollars are forked over each year for items that claim to produce something that does not exist, in order “to improve one's game.”) There are good and useful ways for training aids to help golfers, but those ways are no kin to muscle memory. It's about skill and habit development, both of which follow rules that have nothing to do with implied gray matter in the muscles.

The myth that has evolved is that if you do something (presumably the same thing) enough times in succession (we suppose), your muscles will “memorize” the motion and you will “have it made.” Sorry, but your muscles contain no gray matter, so they are genetically, physically and psychologically incapable of memorizing anything. We can condition our muscles so that they support whatever we are doing - but “memory?” No way! Conditioning and “memory” are two entirely different venues. The brain has the memory bank and the muscles are limited to conditioning. Of course, if you want to condition something, don't try to do it in isolation. First identify the kinds of habits you need (or want) and allow the conditioning path to be informed by that.

All of that, taken together, has evolved into other myths, like “it takes 21 days to develop a new habit,” or “it takes 60 repetitions,” or some other variation on those themes. Frankly, I do not know where those notions came from. If there is research for either of those, I haven't been able to find it, and there is nothing in what is known of how human experience evolves into habits that would warrant the claim. Even research in biomechanics only claims that it “seeks to understand how the brain coordinates and controls a myriad of muscles in human locomotion.” Best that can be found in general research is an inference that building habits takes, for each individual person, as long as it takes. It will be different for each person, too. Some may create a habit in five, some in ten, others in twenty or thirty (times, days, weeks, months, years, whatever time frame you want to measure by) and there is no established hierarchy for any of that to be found in research. There are far too many variables for anyone to insist that there is some kind of time frame, available to everyone, in which you can build a habit. There is a reliable process, but there is no fixed time frame.

Best wisdom says get rid of the expression, the idea, the perception, the notion, the concept, that muscle memory carries a valid, worthwhile meaning. If you see the phrase, simply say in your head: “They mean to say it's something to do with habits and their development.” But watch it on the time frames. There aren't any – except yours and mine. Otherwise, my recommendation is keep working on the myth and finally you will be able to cut off your head and let your muscles play a stressless, anxiety-free game. Ordinary reason should tell us that if the myth were true, someone would surely have reached the zenith of development by this point in time, especially with all the “gizmo's” out there to help “make it happen.”

Also bear in mind that we had best know and understand what is available in research about how habits are formed. It isn't sufficient to just disclaim muscle memory. We have to go on to the step that helps us know how to develop mature habits from our best learned skills.

Eminem

Banned
Im a much better guitarist than I am a golfer. I got my grade 8 when I was still in high school, and for a long time thought it would be my career when older. Aside from certain things I ended up deciding against doing it because of many different factors but however I was and still am a very good player.

I do however think that habits can be formed, but 'muscle memory' is a term that isn't quite accurate. When I practice for something really difficult, I break it down into parts. If it was extremely fast like 3rd part of 'la catedral' by Barrios (not very difficult if you play it at John Williams boring speed, better getting Philip Hi's version).

I would break it into sections. I would start it at a pace I felt completely comfortable and understand that I am building brain functions (its good having 2 neuroscientists in the family:)). By practicing slow for a very long period of time and paying attention to detail, understanding the mechanics and getting them as perfect as possible and that would be repeatable at high speeds. I managed to learn and play this piece amongst others at the extremely fast tempo and everybody is gobsmacked when I play because they see someone perform pieces played with no technical constraints(well at least at the time).

Most people would make two mistakes - being too eager and not patient enough to stick at the slow practice and wanting to up the tempo in intervals when they didn't get it right before they did and is not repeatable at faster speed due to mechanics. Also the falling into going up intervals with a metronome is the worst way to do it. You do it slow for an extremely long time and then you can up by playing at extremely different tempi and if you did the slow practice it will happen almost instantaneously. You build the brain functions and then you do it for long enough I could have a conversation with you at the same time and it just happens because you have developed your mind to do the right thing.

EdZ

New
I agree with Eminem... (but then I am also a musician, so I can relate) - in both golf and music, repeating things slowly helps.

Seems Doyle would agree too..... chip, pitch, punch, swing.

Each piece builds on the one before it.

hue

New
Great article Carey. I was a victim of the muscle memory myth in the past. I used to consciously train a movement over and over in the vain belief that if I did it enough I would own the movement. That is tough on the mind and a total drain of energy . It also does not work. The concept of muscle memory is fear based . It is like some kind of mumbo jumbo ritual to protect you from harsh realities on the golf course. It leads to a vicious cicle in your training as the whole concept is doomed .

Eminem

Banned
quote:Originally posted by EdZ

I agree with Eminem... (but then I am also a musician, so I can relate) - in both golf and music, repeating things slowly helps.

Seems Doyle would agree too..... chip, pitch, punch, swing.

Each piece builds on the one before it.

True in any motor skill.

The mind is like a road on a grassy field, if you walk on it once then you might stamp on the grass and flatten a few shoots, let it go after that and you will find a couple of weeks later that you made no impact. Keep walking on it and at the beginnig you will still find you go off path sometimes but if you really work out where your walking you would eventually create a mud track. Keep it up and eventually you'll equivalent to a very hard tarmac road.

If you think when you write a letter or type in the keyboard (assuming your not new to computers...lol), you will find yourself doing extremely fast motor skills which have been built up over a long period of time. You can also appreciate the word muscle memory when originally you would have had to take it extremely slow to begin with and build up the brain functions.

You train your brain to do things that are so installed into your subconscience that it makes it appear as 'muscle memory' as in the muscles are moving themselves however the muscles themselves do not have memory.

Eminem

Banned
quote:Originally posted by hue

I used to consciously train a movement over and over in the vain belief that if I did it enough I would own the movement. That is tough on the mind and a total drain of energy.

No actually you are right before, if you train a movement perfectly, you will own it, just like handwriting. But if your mind doesn't understand the movement then you are not reinforcing it suffiently either, it is important to get the brain sorted out too.

The secret is to do the movement as well as you possibly can over and over and understand the movement. In golf unlike my guitar for example isn't nessesarily speed as in slowing it down, it is about perfect continous repetition with something that is a)doable/repeatable and b)understood.

hue

New
Eminem: The key word in my post is " consciously". I was trying to learn using my cognitive mind and this continued when I was playing. To play good good you should be playing on automatic. Your training should be geared to getting what you are working on to automatic which relates to "it is important to get the brain sorted out too ." keygolf's 32 ball drill is a much better way of doing this.

quote:Originally posted by Eminem

.....You build the brain functions and then you do it for long enough I could have a conversation with you at the same time and it just happens because you have developed your mind to do the right thing.

Really good summary. You caused me to think of the following:
Earl Scruggs wrote in his book "The Five String Banjo:"

"The word "habit" can always be broken by patience and practice. Do not expect too much of yourself. At the same time, do not underestimate your ability. Take your time. Do these exercises over and over and over until after awhile, you will be doing them while thinking about something else."

It is the phrase.. "you will be doing them while thinking about something else,".. that needs our attention. That's how it works, whether one is playing a banjo, driving a car, brushing one's teeth or making a golf shot.

The "next" step is to utilize that principle in the learning process itself (which is the thing that is often omitted, expecially by adults). We use a "32 swing drill" for that purpose - in fours. Think about it consciously for four "measures," followed by the same "music" (or swing) practiced while thinking of something that has nothing to do with the chords or fingering (or swing mechanics) for the next four measures, and repeat that process 4 times [(4+4)X 4 = 32]. That is one unit of practice. The experience with golfers shows that is a considerably faster track to the goal of habit development. There is more to it, but that's the jist.

hue

New
Carey: I got this from a post on FGI on "Muscle memory" . What are your thoughts on it? Thanks

"A better term to use would be Motor Memory. The general coordination for muscles is in the cerebellum. The cerebellum in most lower animal species simply functions "automatically," through reflex action.

Human beings have more precise ability to control our muscles, in a structure in the higher brain, called the cerebrum, and the structure area is known as the "motor cortex" area. There are specific areas in the motor cortex for the various muscles that humans can voluntarily control, such as arms, hands, fingers, legs, feet, toes, etc.

As you practice with your voluntary muscles, your motor cortex makes new nerve connections for that area. The more you practice, the more nerve connections there are. Your brain learns that it will continue to get stimulation to the same area, so the brain makes the connections easier for the stimulation to be processed. That is why any voluntary motor movements are difficult at first, and then become smoother, more precise, and easier to do, after many repetitions."

bts

New
I believe that golfing "habits" are difficult to develop due largely to the effect of "Negative transfer", a psychological term in learning which is defined as "mastery of one task conflicts with learning or performing another", of others.

For example, geometrically or physically:

1. We rarely do our daily activities facing perpendicular to where the outcomes are concerned,

2. We move things along where we face or want them to be,

3. We intend to move things faster directly with more effort,

to name a few of the obvious.

No wonder Hogen writes on the first page of the Introduction to Ben Hogan's book "Power Golf":

"...when you grip a golf club to take your first swing at a golf ball every natural instinct you employ to accomplish that objective is wrong, absolutely wrong."

On top of the proper mechanics, right knowledges, golfing really demands tremendous mind control.

quote:Originally posted by hue

Carey: I got this from a post on FGI on "Muscle memory" . What are your thoughts on it? Thanks

"A better term to use would be Motor Memory. The general coordination for muscles is in the cerebellum. The cerebellum in most lower animal species simply functions "automatically," through reflex action.

Human beings have more precise ability to control our muscles, in a structure in the higher brain, called the cerebrum, and the structure area is known as the "motor cortex" area. There are specific areas in the motor cortex for the various muscles that humans can voluntarily control, such as arms, hands, fingers, legs, feet, toes, etc.

As you practice with your voluntary muscles, your motor cortex makes new nerve connections for that area. The more you practice, the more nerve connections there are. Your brain learns that it will continue to get stimulation to the same area, so the brain makes the connections easier for the stimulation to be processed. That is why any voluntary motor movements are difficult at first, and then become smoother, more precise, and easier to do, after many repetitions."
hue:
As I hear it, that is an excessively technical description of the meaning of "conditioning." Very different from what is implied by most who use the expression "Muscle Memory." If you examine that term carefully, is intended to mean that our muscles can "memorize" and therefore allow use without thinking (like getting to automatic without having to follow the rules).

My understanding is that we still must give our well conditioned muscles appropriate commands for what we want to have happen, even though that may be done in short-hand,short time-frames and with signals like the "rehearsal swing," and that is what pre-shot planning is for. Conditioning is like plowing the field and preparing it for seed. Skills are the seed and habits are the plants that spring from the seed. All need well conditioned muscles. But they are hardly the same thing.

quote:Originally posted by bts

I believe that golfing "habits" are difficult to develop due largely to the effect of "Negative transfer", a psychological term in learning which is defined as "mastery of one task conflicts with learning or performing another", of others.

For example, geometrically or physically:

1. We rarely do our daily activities facing perpendicular to where the outcomes are concerned,

2. We move things along where we face or want them to be,

3. We intend to move things faster directly with more effort,

to name a few of the obvious.

No wonder Hogen writes on the first page of the Introduction to Ben Hogan's book "Power Golf":

"...when you grip a golf club to take your first swing at a golf ball every natural instinct you employ to accomplish that objective is wrong, absolutely wrong."

On top of the proper mechanics, right knowledges, golfing really demands tremendous mind control.
Though I'm not sure I understand your #3 (what you mean by it), your point is well taken, unless the player has experience with things like baseball, tennis or shooting a rifle, etc. One's body does not have to be facing. (I would be more inclined to notice the function of the eyes in such matters, more than the body). Those also usually involve some "perpindicular" set-up prior to delivery of the action. New habits are, indeed, helped in building by any past experience of a similar nature. But new habits can, as you say take longer if the experience has been "negative," or counter, as opposed to cooperative - true of any life experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.