My lesson with Brian and meeting Ben Doyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I had the pleasure of taking a playing lesson with Brian. I'm very glad that we did this because my on-course swing was very different from my practice range swing. Brian saw what he needed to see, plus it was simply a helluva lot of fun just playing with him. He is one mean ball striker, by the way.

As a bonus, who should ride over to the 15th tee? None other than Mike Jacobs and Ben Doyle! Mike is a cool guy and terrific teacher, but I simply am in awe of Ben. Fortunately, I hit my best drive of the day while Ben was watching. When we reached the green, Ben complimented my chipping motion.
I'm 59 years old, but felt as if I had just pleased my teacher in grade school. What a thrill. Incidentally, I've scheduled a lesson with Ben for a morning in August. I can't wait.

Today, Brian and I worked on eliminating the funkiest over-the-top move in the history of golf. Basically, we worked on:

1. putting the ball more forward in my stance
2 reducing my hip turn to 30-45 degrees, rather than the hard-to-manage75 degrees that I started with.
3 using a much shorter backstroke. It *felt* as if I were just using a chip backswing, but the video showed that I was actually using about a 7/8 backswing.
4. swinging under a plane stick, with the "belly (hairless) side of the forearm facing up.
5. swinging at 50-70% speed.

The results: Drives that went further than my "swing out of your shoes " shots yesterday and, most importantly, not a single duffed drive out of all the balls I stroked, NOT "hit" in a 2-hour period.

Go see Brian. He's a great instructor and a terrific guy.

gumper

I have a lesson scheduled in Brian's So. Cal. stop. I hope he can help get my swing dialed in because those trees on the right of the fairways hate it when my driver comes out. And the greens don't have much to worry about either because it seems that all I do is chip to them. Glad to hear praises for Brian's teaching again--I have high hopes and can't wait to learn.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Playings lessons with the Manz!

I have taught golf for 25 years.

In that time, I've spent about 35,000 hours helping golfers with their games, and understanding.

I have NEVER giving a Playing Lesson that I felt was a waste of time.

Plenty for the student to learn and PLENTY for the TEACHER to learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.