My thoughts on "ideas about the release"

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, I've been following Brian since back in the fgi days, when he first exposed me to the golfing maching, and got me pivoting like crazy with a ton of lag.

That data along with many others helped take me from shooting in the mid 90's to getting as low as a 4 handicap this year. However, I still had significant gaps in my game, ie: very bad at pitching the ball, horrible from inside a hundred yards, low ball flight, very little spin. However, I am a far better than average ball striker, particularly with the mid irons.

So I've read and followed all of what Brian and Michael have said about the new release, and i've really worked on it, along with my normal swing the past couple of weeks, and here are my thoughts.

1. Immediate improvement in my pitching and chipping, I think I've had far too much lag on these types of shots which really limited my ability to hit high soft shots.
2. Big improvement on 30-80 yard shots, same as above.
3. less distance higher trajectory with the short/mid irons, although more spin.
4. more distance higher trajectory with the long irons. I might actually be able to pull out a four iron again and get it in the air.
5. I've really had to work at making sure I don't pivot from the start of the swing and feel like I'm releasing the club immediately. If not, it's four right or at best a slice. Been tough to slow that pivot down, but it's doable with effort.

So in summary it's definately something I feel I can implement in my game. I don't think I'll go completely away from my current swing, however, it will certainly give me more options as to altering trajectory, and I think will really improve my wedge game.

almost forgot, with the woods, the ball flight is definately a higher flight, then my current low trajectory fade. I could definately see using this type of release on my more open downwind shots, may use my current swing on tee shots into the wind due to the lower trajectory. Same with fairway woods, although because I sometimes get too much lag, the new release gives me a bit more distance, all things being equal.

5. I've really had to work at making sure I don't pivot from the start of the swing and feel like I'm releasing the club immediately. If not, it's four right or at best a slice. Been tough to slow that pivot down, but it's doable with effort.

My Kryptonite too. If I were a boat, I'd be a TUG boat. :mad:

If you shank lob wedges, you might be handle dragger.

If you've ever made a ball mark six inches in front of your ball with a driver off the tee, you might be a handle dragger.

If you've ever sprayed yourself in the face with divot dirt, you might be a handle dragger.

If you've ever had a stinger in your left wrist, you might be a handle dragger.

If you're scared of hitting a hook, but also mindful of a push, but then end up hitting it fat, you might be a handle dragger.

bcroad_foxworthy_v6.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely in to out but I would wager that most handle draggers struggle with a path that's in to out. A delofted 3 wood with a heavy inside to out path is a bugger to hit high and soft if not impossible even with 1oo+ mph swing speed.

If you shank lob wedges, you might be handle dragger.

If you've ever made a ball mark six inches in front of your ball with a driver off the tee, you might be a handle dragger.

If you've ever sprayed yourself in the face with divot dirt, you might be a handle dragger.

If you've ever had a stinger in your left wrist, you might be a handle dragger.

If you're scared of hitting a hook, but also mindful of a push, but then end up hitting it fat, you might be a handle dragger.

bcroad_foxworthy_v6.jpg

Glad somebody got my first post.

@Jim -

What if any is the relationship between too much inside out and handle dragging?

Too much in to out needs the handle well in front to avoid shallow drop kicks. Too much out to in requires a lot earlier release to avoid topping, as I have seen it.

I think they go hand in hand.

Axis tilt can maybe help, but the problem is playing real golf shots.

The driving range has a lot to answer for!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
If worms and groundhogs fear you....you just might be a handle dragger.

If trackman can't comprehend your downward angle of attack, you might me a handle dragger

If your swing looks sexy as hell on video but you can't bust a grape...chances are you are a handle dragger.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
@Jim -

What if any is the relationship between too much inside out and handle dragging?

I think in general we think of handle dragging as too much lag too late in the downswing. I see handle dragging as outward hand path at the top as well, that is still putting a drag on the hands, even if it cause an early throw.

Status
Not open for further replies.