Need HELP, new Manzella lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwat

New
Okay, I just came back from another lesson w/ Brian a couple of weeks ago. This is my 2nd lesson with him this year. Anyways, I am wanting to become a more consistant ball striker so instead of the baby step tweaking we normally do, Brian decided it was time to really change things up on my swing. Got me turning/pivoting differently, new arm position, just alot of changes. So I was of course worried when I left because I didn't know how I was going to be able to repeat it. Well it has worked out better then I thought but now there are some obvious flaws in my swing that hopefully some in the forum can see. I'll miss to the right one shot then overcorrect on the next. I showed my Dad these video's tonight and he thinks that I am picking up my right heel to early which is making me raise up. What do you guys think.

My misses with my driver are a pull-draw or just a straight block to the right. With my irons its either a pull-draw or a fat shot. I have attached a swing from before this last lesson and then one from today so you guys can see the changes we made. I think everyone can agree its for the better.

Hopefully Brian will respond to this post as well. Thanks in advance for everyone's comments.

YouTube - Old Swing before lesson

YouTube - side

YouTube - IMG_0589.MOV

Last edited:
Agree, your new move is a big step in the right direction.

Love the lagging take away.

The club face is still closed, but much better. Your path is a little inside out. You "pull draw" is probably just a face draw. I doubt your path is going left. Not sure what your TM numbers were.

If I'm on the right track, you need to "shake some sugar" with your new move and add some carry.

It wouldn't hurt to hit a bunch of full swing, 3/4 distance shots to instill a better sense lag, control and path awareness.

Keep up the good work.

MC

I see your right hip moving out and left shoulder too high too soon in the downswing.

I agree Kev...but do you think the uphill lie (or is it just the camera angle that makes it look uphill) may have contributed to this? By the way he falls back after the swing made me think the lie was not level. I do like the lagging clubhead takeaway now though

Last edited:
Jwat,

Your new arm motion is way better going back, you have added some momentum from your pivot, nice work!

Try the "hit the ball in front of the ball drill" like in NHA.
If you add some carry and can hit the ball after the ball your left shoulder will not raise up so soon like Kevin said.
Your shoulders will stay level longer into the hit.

Matt

Jwat

New
Agree, your new move is a big step in the right direction.

Love the lagging take away.

The club face is still closed, but much better. Your path is a little inside out. You "pull draw" is probably just a face draw. I doubt your path is going left. Not sure what your TM numbers were.

If I'm on the right track, you need to "shake some sugar" with your new move and add some carry.

MC

Trackman numbers were swinging to the right 4-7deg. We worked on swinging more left during the lesson.

I see your right hip moving out and left shoulder too high too soon in the downswing.

Kevin, since I have such an issue with swinging underplane or to the right, how do I cure this on the downswing?
Jwat,

Your new arm motion is way better going back, you have added some momentum from your pivot, nice work!

Try the "hit the ball in front of the ball drill" like in NHA.
If you add some carry and can hit the ball after the ball your left shoulder will not raise up so soon like Kevin said.
Your shoulders will stay level longer into the hit.

Matt

Thanks for the feedback and positive re-inforcement. I am playing today and will try to work on it. I have just always struggled with the right shoulder going down and left shoulder up. I think that is why Brian wants my right elbow up more. For me personally, stops me from getting so underplane. Thanks again!

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
In the transition, as you fall on the left foot, keep your right shoulder higher and separate your left shouler from your chin and straighten your right arm into your hip pocket before any axis tilt.......all in .00003 of a second:D

Easier to do than to type.

Jwat

New
In the transition, as you fall on the left foot, keep your right shoulder higher and separate your left shouler from your chin and straighten your right arm into your hip pocket before any axis tilt.......all in .00003 of a second:D

Easier to do than to type.

So is it kind of a gravity drop with my hands while maintaining spine tilt?

Status
Not open for further replies.