New knowledge observation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched Sir Nick's driving special on TGC. He advocated a wide hand path, chasing through with the right hand, a high right shoulder, and looking like you were at address during contact. Six months ago I would have thought he was teaching bubble gum fixes and a flip.

I was so brainwashed that I as a 15 'cap would have thought a multiple major winner was full of shit. In general, the stuff that playing pros say now seems to make much more sense. I'm glad my eyes are open.

ZAP

New
The knowledge I have been able to gain from this site simply has me watching any golf instruction with a more wary eye.
My BS meter got a major upgrade when I was shown this place.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
The know it all but can't play golf snob has pooh-poohed what top players have had to say about the swing forever. I'll listen to anyone who can beat me and while they sometimes can't explain it as well as we may like, often they have some really good gems.

I do not knock great players and their analytical skills. But IMO they often tell us what THEY do, feel etc. That will surely help SOME. Could a Johnny Miller or a Nick Faldo do what a Brian Manzella does? I think not. I have seen it too many years to believe they can teach beyond what they actually DO. Like method teaching. I agree with Kevin that we should all listen to those with great playing skills, but be careful on what they're prescribing. I did a clinic with Vijay a few years back, up and down the line some 30 players. He told EVERY one of them to "finish the backswing". Some of the shallow guys proceeded to miss the ball of course!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think tour players are different talking with someone individually versus giving a clinic or demonstration. During a clinic they almost have to be broad and they learn a couple of phrases they can get some mileage out of.

I have to think working one on one with Vijay Singh would be a lot different. To me this is where the disconnect in these types of threads come from.

The know it all but can't play golf snob has pooh-poohed what top players have had to say about the swing forever. I'll listen to anyone who can beat me and while they sometimes can't explain it as well as we may like, often they have some really good gems.

This type of snobbery exists in other sports too, like my main sport powerlifting, the internet enables this this attitude to occur

I do not knock great players and their analytical skills. But IMO they often tell us what THEY do, feel etc. That will surely help SOME. Could a Johnny Miller or a Nick Faldo do what a Brian Manzella does? I think not. I have seen it too many years to believe they can teach beyond what they actually DO. Like method teaching. I agree with Kevin that we should all listen to those with great playing skills, but be careful on what they're prescribing. I did a clinic with Vijay a few years back, up and down the line some 30 players. He told EVERY one of them to "finish the backswing". Some of the shallow guys proceeded to miss the ball of course!

The only time I want to do a 30 player clinic with Vijay is if they are hitting it towards him.

I think tour players are different talking with someone individually versus giving a clinic or demonstration. During a clinic they almost have to be broad and they learn a couple of phrases they can get some mileage out of.

I have to think working one on one with Vijay Singh would be a lot different. To me this is where the disconnect in these types of threads come from.

Maybe but i need to see it before i believe it. We had the tour at our place for 4 years, a lot of them at the golf academy for the week. You might be surprised... Now by that i mean, they don't know (or care) how to apply general golf swing principles to help others with their game. Playing big time golf is a totally self absorbing thing and teaching is a completely different dynamic.

Status
Not open for further replies.