New sensations re: the "out" part of the downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so through some self-analysis thanks to the info I learned here over the last few weeks, I determined that (and I think I owe this problem to my idol worship of Bobby Jones) I brought the club back way under plane, the butt pointing well outside the ball, and then I looped it over, not really way over the top, but enough that the butt of the club points way inside the ball, with the shaft occasionally very vertical. I got around like this and shoot 75-85 most of the time.

So I've been working hard on trying to get on a better plane, and in doing so discovered the wonderful "out" sensation. Until now, I've felt the downswing in terms of down and toward the target. Feeling the proper shape of the swing has helped me hit it better (in practice) and even more important to me, has helped the swing "feel good", more like I'm efficient and less like an octopus falling out of a tree. I feel like I can actually "hit it" or "mash it".

Here are my questions:

When I really seem to hit it well, my follow through seems much lower than normal. I put this down to utilizing the rotary motion better than before and this carries through the swing, but I wonder if this could become a problem. My hands kind of stay below my shoulders.

Second, I'm having trouble grooving this for the course, are there any good full-speed drills that can help me really dial it in?

This should be a whole new thread - best description of a dysfunctional golf swing. I vote for "marionette chopping wood" but octopus is pretty good too.

I've been working on holding back throwout action until very late in my swing, and using my right forearm to slap down on the ball.

Originally Eamon Darcy

Octopus falling out of a tree is a description of Jim Furyk's swing that David Feherty came up with in one of his columns or on TV...can't remember.

I first head this description used for Eamon Darcy's swing. Eamon's swing made Furyk look orthadox!! However the Darce is a fantastic ball striker

I'm quite fond of the one when playing people who swing it weird yet hit the occasional good shot.....

"Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then....."

:D

hcw

New
i believe...

Little chance of getting underplane there:

http://www.bisazzagolf.com/eamon_darcy.htm[/SIZE]

...that there's nothing wrong with these alignments!

Darcy%20Down.jpg

The question is, do the people whose swing look like a mongoose eating a cobra while being thrown from a stagecoach feel like that, or does it feel good to them?

I'm happy looking ridiculous as long as the swing feels good and produces good results...no idea how it looks right now, but it feels much better.

hcw

New
i like this quote...

The question is, do the people whose swing look like a mongoose eating a cobra while being thrown from a stagecoach feel like that, or does it feel good to them?

I'm happy looking ridiculous as long as the swing feels good and produces good results...no idea how it looks right now, but it feels much better.

"My swing is no uglier than Arnold Palmer's, and it's the same ugly swing every time."

-Nancy Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.