Newbie Needs Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to hear from other members as their opinion of the best wasy to get started. I have been playing for 7 years, took lessons from the start and still do, and have become a competent golfer, 5-6 index. However, I recognize that is about as far as conventional teaching can take me. I have tried the PurePoint, and few other "secret teaching" scams with predictable results.

Specifically, I would like some input on whether one should try the videos first, or try and take a few lessons from a Manzella instructor someone near my home. My experience with golf videos is less than stellar, but in fairness at that time I did not have a recorder where I could view my swing versus the teaching. Furthermore, if the videos are anywhere near as technical s many of the discussions here, I will be baffled. I reside in Albany, NY and a trip to Long Island or similar distance is no problem. My budget is not unlimited, so traveling to New Orleans or Louisville is not my first preference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Personal lessons w/ Manzella instructor - bar none.

Getting into videos and internet instruction will create a second hobby for you other than Playing Good Golf.

ggsjpc

New
I think it really depends on how you prefer to learn. If you can take things from videos and reproduce them then go with that. If you need more help from a person placing you in certain positions than I'd go that way.

The video's are excellent and the instructor's are excellent. Go with what aids in how you learn best.

Mike Jacobs is in LI. John Graham is over in Rochester. Rochester is a bit of a hike from Albany though.

I'd also start tracking stats on your game if you haven't already. Then you can better deduct what your issues are before going to the pro to work on your game.

3JACK

ZAP

New
I would really suggest getting a pair of eyes to watch you. It is too easy to get into bad habits. As we all know what you feel is usually different from what you are doing.
If you cannot afford lessons go with Building Blocks.

Mike Jacobs is in LI. John Graham is over in Rochester. Rochester is a bit of a hike from Albany though.

I'd also start tracking stats on your game if you haven't already. Then you can better deduct what your issues are before going to the pro to work on your game.

3JACK

Rich, Actually when you consider the traffic driving to the Island, Rochester is probably about the same driving time. Good diea about tracking my game also.

Thank you very much to EVERYONE for the rapid and intelligent responses. I will see which instructor I can work into my schedule. My unenlightened manager does not consider two consecutive rounds in the 80s to be grounds for emergency leave.

Rich, Actually when you consider the traffic driving to the Island, Rochester is probably about the same driving time. Good diea about tracking my game also.

Thank you very much to EVERYONE for the rapid and intelligent responses. I will see which instructor I can work into my schedule. My unenlightened manager does not consider two consecutive rounds in the 80s to be grounds for emergency leave.

Go with Michael Jacobs, you will thank me.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.