Next Anti-Summit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

I would like to suggest an expert or experts from the other side of the equation: how people learn. I am not talking about sports psychologists who talk about the advantages of positive thinking, etc. Rather, I'm thinking of recent research on how the brain works in order to best learn new skills. There is much buzz, for example in education, psychology, and neurology on the role of myelin (the white matter in the brain) in learning. Some of this is discussed in Daniel Coyle's "The Talent Code." I recommend the book highly. It is written in a very down-to-earth manner.

There has also been a great deal of emphasis in education on learning styles (visual. auditory, etc.) People learn differently. Of course, you already differentiate your instruction. Still, an expert in this field might provide new insights.

I really believe that this type of research will be the next frontier in sports coaching. As an educator myself, I know that if it isn't learned, then it isn't taught.

gumper

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
The Talent Code is a terrific book.

Geoff Mangum is WAY ahead of any of the golf/sports psychologists with respect to motor learning and neuroscience.

It is not remotely close!

I think this is a great suggestion, although I wouldn't know who to suggest as an expert in the area.

I do think that golf, as a whole, lags way behind other activities when it comes to teaching its students how to learn and ingrain its movements.

I also have to think that what we don't know in this area is hurting us worse than what we don't know about the swing.

I would like to suggest an expert or experts from the other side of the equation: how people learn. I am not talking about sports psychologists who talk about the advantages of positive thinking, etc. Rather, I'm thinking of recent research on how the brain works in order to best learn new skills.

Ever heard of Carey Mumford's "32 Ball Drill"?

Basically is learning in sets of four. (4x8=32) Four reps thinking about what you are trying to do while you are doing it. Four reps thinking about something ELSE. Repeat until you have done 32 reps.

There is much buzz, for example in education, psychology, and neurology on the role of myelin (the white matter in the brain) in learning. Some of this is discussed in Daniel Coyle's "The Talent Code." I recommend the book highly. It is written in a very down-to-earth manner.

Are there things you can do to "maximize the myelin"?? (or however it works)

Interesting.

As an educator myself, I know that if it isn't learned, then it isn't taught.

gumper

Good quote gump.

Last edited:
birdie_man,

I have purchased Carey Mumford's info and have tried it. I am not positive if I remember this correctly, but I seem to recall that I wanted to see citations from other studies that corroborated Dr. Mumford's theories.

As for myelin, one section of Coyle's book discusses the benefits of "deep practice," during which a student (he uses a young musician as an example) struggles with a challenge until he/she achieves a breakthrough. The struggle actually increases myelin.

Right away I thought of Ben Hogan digging it out of the dirt, as well as all of the stories of great guitarists who emerged after serious "woodshedding."

gumper

I bet that you'd really like the book.

S

SteveT

Hey, BrianM ... how about getting a panel together of .. mandrin, Geoff Mangum ... and Me .... I guarantee you between the three of us, we will destroy all previously known concepts of the golfswing and putting stroke ... and we might even have a fistfight too if you try to join in ... ya hear ...???!!!!

Hey, BrianM ... how about getting a panel together of .. mandrin, Geoff Mangum ... and Me .... I guarantee you between the three of us, we will destroy all previously known concepts of the golfswing and putting stroke ... and we might even have a fistfight too if you try to join in ... ya hear ...???!!!!

SteveT, your posts indicate that you are a knowledgeable guy, but if your knowledge is even remotely commensurate with your self-confidence, then the sky is the limit my friend...

S

SteveT

SteveT, your posts indicate that you are a knowledgeable guy, but if your knowledge is even remotely commensurate with your self-confidence, then the sky is the limit my friend...

I'm not perfect, and on occasion I can be wrong ... but I doubt it ...!!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.