NHA question

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm still having a heck of a time getting rid of the draw in all my irons. they start at the target but then draw/hook quite a bit. I've got NHA and i think it will surely help me, but i have a question regarding the clubface after impact. At impact it says the face should still be slightly open. I'm good with that, but how about after impact? Should I be swinging left but still have a feeling of the face being open a bit? If I don't have that thought or feeling, I know I will have that head rotate and be shut. How do I do this right and still release the club? Any help or suggestions? Thanks

you want to feel more of an angled hinge (face cutting through rather than laying on the plane) or "gather up the marbles" swivel through the ball...
i think this is covered in nha but i'll have to look again.

also, if your ball is starting towards the target and drawing, you are probably still swinging to far right. may need more "carry" and 'yellow brick road"

thanks, but my main question i think is how long should i have the face open before i release and have it start to turn over? i can hit a driver off the ground and i know this is the feeling i want, but just have a hard time with the irons as if i swing left it seems as if i always think i'll pull it.

but just have a hard time with the irons as if i swing left it seems as if i always think i'll pull it.

Try going over the sequence towards the end of the video that deals with the sequence from delivery to and through the ball.

Matt

I was hitting dead straight pulls at the end of last year as well trying to implement NHA. The contact was very solid however. In terms d-plane what exactly is creating this shot?

Conkanen,

If you were hitting dead straight pulls when you were trying to implement NHA that probably means that your clubface was matching your path (left). However, without seeing your swing it is a little tougher to make this assumption.

Keep swinging more and more left and see what happens.

This what I have done and have pretty much eliminated my hook, along with removing to much lateral hip slide/axis tilt.

I feel like I could place a dowel 30-40 degrees left of the target line and that is the path my hands take from the top.

This has produced an angled hinge with a straight- to slight fade ball flight.

I was hitting dead straight pulls at the end of last year as well trying to implement NHA. The contact was very solid however. In terms d-plane what exactly is creating this shot?

so if you just got the face ever so slightly more open you would be hitting pull fades?

If you starting hit to much of a pull fade could you not move the ball back slightly in your stance and hit it straight or maybe a push fade (like Trevino among others)?

Well when I started the NHA swing I really didn't understand the d-plane and the new flight laws so I was standing pretty square to the target with a PW and hitting very pure shots that were missing 15-20 yards left lol. That's where I left off last year. It's snowing up here so I haven't been able to trying aiming left of the target for the shorter irons. I'll have to experiment I guess.

Well when I started the NHA swing I really didn't understand the d-plane and the new flight laws so I was standing pretty square to the target with a PW and hitting very pure shots that were missing 15-20 yards left lol. That's where I left off last year. It's snowing up here so I haven't been able to trying aiming left of the target for the shorter irons. I'll have to experiment I guess.

Yea, its kinda cool to play around with some different setups now that there is a better understanding of what is really happening.

I have found setting up open to the target has helped me swing left with no real disadvantage to contact or accuracy.

got back from the range and tried to incorporate what i've learned from nha2. for the most part results were pretty good. i'm so used to being underplane a bit and so far from the inside it will take some getting used to, but i'm optimistic. misses were some pulls and still a bit of the old swing crept back.

for those that have seen nha2, can you use the 'million dollar' lesson and use it with irons as well? i would think it would give the same idea. also, would there be any real harm if for the backswing i just think of being steeper up and down through the ball? thanks

This is a very interesting thread. I am finding the same issues. I start a round hitting a straight to slight fade with NHA but about the 13th hole I start to hit hard draws or even hooks and the more left I try to swing the more hook I get. I am sure fatigue has something to do with it but it is puzzleing.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
This is a very interesting thread. I am finding the same issues. I start a round hitting a straight to slight fade with NHA but about the 13th hole I start to hit hard draws or even hooks and the more left I try to swing the more hook I get. I am sure fatigue has something to do with it but it is puzzleing.

I'll bet anything your shoulder turn is flattening in the transition.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
"How long....has this been goin' on....?" —Ace

The clubface should be square at impact, the swing should be left at impact, and the resultant path should be straight at impact—for a straight shot to occur with ball on the ground.

This that the face MUST BE OPEN TO THE "swing"—ie the Plane Line, ie the Horizontal Swing Plane—for the ball to go straight.

Very basic, but I'd bet a dinner at Outback that no one can find a published or posted explanation of this IN THESE SIMPLE WORDS anywhere else in golf history before I just wrote it.

@ 3/08/10 7:08pm CST

Status
Not open for further replies.