Nick Price Long Hitter, or Tall, Strong, Fast Swinging SHORT Hitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about the flat left wrist is the position the wrists are in at impact..the wrists are cupped at address but the wrists have to be flat or slightly forward at impact so flatening the left wrist is preparation for a great impact position..=)

This sound logicial. I actually been searching but can't seem to get a direct or obvious answer about the position of the left wrist at impact to the ball. I know the importance of having a flat left wrist at the top of the backswing (so has thus changed) but coming down at impact, should the flat left wrist continue or revert to the slightly bent/cup at address position. I've been fighting this confusion for a while. The common sense thing is to return to your address position, which is gripping the club with a slightly bent left wrist. But if having a flat wrist at impact, wouldn't that be altering the address position? I think this would either close your clubface or position it to the left (thus a hook).

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Address vs Impact

The ONLY good player in the hall-of-fame who looked remotely like their address position at impact was Nick Price, a tall strong fast swinging short hitter.

dbl

New
That's funny, I was just reading Price's book last night. He is a big believer in maintaining the left wrist cup throughout the swing (well as far as I've read which is..in the backswing and at the top...now, plus Brian's comment about impact).

The ONLY good player in the hall-of-fame who looked remotely like their address position at impact was Nick Price, a tall strong fast swinging short hitter.

I wouldn't consider Price a short hitter.

Year......................Distance Rank

1983.........................20th
1984.........................39th
1985.........................42nd
1986.........................90th
1987.........................71st
1988.........................69th
1989.........................67th
1990.........................97th
1991.........................52nd
1992.........................58th
1993.........................11th
1994.........................6th
1995.........................23rd
1996.........................54th

Really only 2 years he was below average in Tour driving distance (86 & 90) and from 93-95 he was quite long off the tee.

3JACK

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Well, I would.

I wouldn't consider Price a short hitter.

The guy was built like a NFL Free Safety, and swung the club with a VIOLENT swish.

Power-puff, non-dynamic.

Just like the even bigger, stronger fellow Leadbetter alumni, Nicky Faldo.

Jeff Sluman BLEW it by both of them.

All 5' 7" 160 of him.

The guy was built like a NFL Free Safety, and swung the club with a VIOLENT swish.

Power-puff, non-dynamic.

Just like the even bigger, stronger fellow Leadbetter alumni, Nicky Faldo.

Jeff Sluman BLEW it by both of them.

All 5' 7" 160 of him.

Short or not ........I will take Nick Price's and Faldo's wins and majors over Sluman ANYDAY:cool: Can millons and Green Jackets + majors be wrong?

I've seen Nick Price, I think that's going a bit far to say he was built like any NFL player that's not a kicker or a punter (who are usually great athletes in their own right). NFL Free safeties will have less than 6% body fat on them and are generally built like a brick you-know-what house. I've met former Cowboys free safeties Keith Davis and Lynn Scott in street clothes and they were far more built than what I saw in Price.

Here's Slu's #'s over the years:

Now, if there was a pound-for-pound distance guy, that would be interesting, but it would take the PGA to come up with a better recording of weights (they have Tim freaking Herron at 210 pounds, which he wouldn't weight that much on the MOON) and probably a more scientific method of measuring driving distance.

3JACK

I've seen Nick Price, I think that's going a bit far to say he was built like any NFL player that's not a kicker or a punter (who are usually great athletes in their own right). NFL Free safeties will have less than 6% body fat on them and are generally built like a brick you-know-what house. I've met former Cowboys free safeties Keith Davis and Lynn Scott in street clothes and they were far more built than what I saw in Price.

Here's Slu's #'s over the years:

Now, if there was a pound-for-pound distance guy, that would be interesting, but it would take the PGA to come up with a better recording of weights (they have Tim freaking Herron at 210 pounds, which he wouldn't weight that much on the MOON) and probably a more scientific method of measuring driving distance.

3JACK

Back in the 80's Nick Price WAS built like a safety, is he built like Ed Reed, NO, but in the 80's yeah I think he could pass for a safety. Does size matter when it comes to mashing a golf ball??, nah, athletic ability, dynamicism, and correct impact alignments per TRACKMAN really help though of ...check out Sads.

Last edited:
I think I have to disagree......I might be totally wrong here , but

tiger and camillio and the bulk guys still cant hit it any farther than Hogan and Snead .....apples to apples........Hogan and Snead hit 300ish with balata balls and bad shafts.......Guys today dont do much better with steroids and "hot" equipment

Brian Manzella

Administrator
All I am saying here....

Is that NO LONG HITTING GOLFERS have impact positions and ADDRESS POSITIONS that look very much alike.

None.

Period.

End of story.

No argument.

Not in baseball either.

Or anything else athletic.

Geez....

Back in the 80's Nick Price WAS built like a safety, is he built like Ed Reed, NO, but in the 80's yeah I think so. Does size matter when it coes to mashing a golf ball, nah, athletic ability and dynamicism of course...check out Sads.

I actually disagree with that quite a bit. Cornerbacks used to be A LOT taller back in the 80's. It wasn't unusual to see 6'2" tall CB's back then. Free Safeties were taller as well. Bill Parcells believes that football lost a lot of players to basketball and that's partly why they are shorter at those positions now than they were in the past.

I saw Price in person in '91. I did see Everson Walls in person in '86, but I was only 9 years old so maybe they all look bigger to me back then.

Maybe Price was really built back in say '84, but when I saw him in person the furthest thing from my mind was ever thinking he was about the same size as any non-punter/non-kicker in the NFL.

Sadlowski isn't huge, but he looks like he's very strong and wirey.

3JACK

Is that NO LONG HITTING GOLFERS have impact positions and ADDRESS POSITIONS that look very much alike.

None.

Period.

End of story.

No argument.

Not in baseball either.

Or anything else athletic.

Geez....

I agree that I would advice any golfer to stay far, far, far away from 'trying to match their address' position at impact. One of the worst and dumbest fallacies about the swing going.

3JACK

I actually disagree with that quite a bit. Cornerbacks used to be A LOT taller back in the 80's. It wasn't unusual to see 6'2" tall CB's back then. Free Safeties were taller as well. Bill Parcells believes that football lost a lot of players to basketball and that's partly why they are shorter at those positions now than they were in the past.

I saw Price in person in '91. I did see Everson Walls in person in '86, but I was only 9 years old so maybe they all look bigger to me back then.

Maybe Price was really built back in say '84, but when I saw him in person the furthest thing from my mind was ever thinking he was about the same size as any non-punter/non-kicker in the NFL.

Sadlowski isn't huge, but he looks like he's very strong and wirey.

3JACK

I never saw Nickie of course, but I did read that he was around 6'1"..just off by an inch...I'm also talking about bulk..the average safety back then was not that much bigger I'd say, thus Nick passing for a safety. I guess it doesn't matter that much, but yeah I think Quick Nick SHOULD have hit it further.

ej20

New
All things being equal size does matter.

99% of long drivers are monsters.Sadlowski is just a freak of nature.I think he has phenomenol flexibilty in all the right places to make up for his lack of size.

Price is very strong and he should hit it further but hes a slider rather than a rotater.Most long hitters for their size are rotaters....flared open impact hips.He also appears to swing hard because of his fast tempo_Only he will know how hard he is swinging.....and guys with no neck always appear bigger than they really are lol.

As for Faldo,he is big but he doesn't seem to have much flexibilty by tour standard.And the fact he swings like hes bunting doesn't help his distance but he gets great accuracy and control under pressure.Not neccesarily is his technique at fault.His left wrist is beautifully flat at impact and beyond so he's not a flipper.TGM will conclude he has "compressed" the ball nicely and has "resisted" decelleration.But the problem is his swing speed with 5 iron is around 90mph or under.Not great by tour standard.

ej20

New
I agree that I would advice any golfer to stay far, far, far away from 'trying to match their address' position at impact. One of the worst and dumbest fallacies about the swing going.

3JACK

Not only does it look different but the feel is even more different.

When I met Nick Price I was surprised at how big he was, I don't know about the built part but he was a good sized guy, same with Faldo. The scale of golf courses just makes you think the guys are smaller than they are. Tiger is much taller than I had thought.

Faldo is certainly a big guy that I couldn't get over how much of a cream puff his shots were. Don't get me wrong, extremely accurate and I would die for his distance control with a wedge and of course his putting was phenomenal. I'm 6'4" tall, so Tiger doesn't seem all that tall to me, but he is jacked to the gills. Bill Glasson was the guy that surprised me with how built he was. He also hit it a ton back in the day.

3JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.