Nicklaus v. Snead Shell match at Pebble

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Dvrd it...in a word, awesome. Snead didn't hit it all that great, but managed to only lose by a shot on a final putt by Nicklaus..and it wasn't any easy one. Things I noticed: Jack is pretty amazing from tee to green; chipping, bunker play..not so much, although he hit a good little chip and run on one hole, with a really good lucky bounce. Snead is really fun to watch, syrupy rhythm, beautiful golf swing. The Slama could really chip the ball well, a great chipper. The course conditions at Pebble were so different, so slow. It was fun to here Jack comment on the differences between the course then and now..very cool. I wish they would redo all the older matches and make them HD.

Last edited:
I Dvrd it...in a word, awesome. Snead didn't hit it all that great, but managed to only lose by a shot on a final putt by Nicklaus..and it wasn't any easy one. Things I noticed: Jack is pretty amazing from tee to green; chipping, bunker play..not so much, although he hit a good little chip and run on one hole, with a really good lucky bounce. Snead is really fun to watch, syrupy rhythm, beautiful golf swing. The Slama could really chip the ball well, a great chipper. The course conditions at Pebble were so different, so slow. It was fun to here Jack comment on the differences between the course then and now..very cool. I wish they would redo all the older matches and make them HD.
who was longer off the tee in that match?

Tom Bartlett

Administrator
My favorite quote of the Snead-Nicklaus match was on the 5th tee; "Nicklaus, a Hitter as opposed to a Swinger, put every ounce of his hefty frame into his drive." - George Rogers

Status
Not open for further replies.