No pop out, but how about pop up on downswing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand the basics behind not popping out on the backswing, but how about the hands popping up on the downswing. Hopefully, I can explain what I'm talking about. At address, when viewed down the target line, a line drawn from the shoulders down to the hands down to the ball would create somewhere between a 30-45 degree angle. At impact, do you want to return the hands to that same position/angle, or do you want to pop the hands up so to speak to create a straight line from the shoulder, to the hands, to the ball?

I've looked at a bunch of swing sequences and I think I see both. Perhaps Hogan and Snead kept some of the angle through impact while Moe Norman and Vijay Singh straightened the angle.

If someone else can explain it better than I did, please help. Or, maybe it's been explained a 1,000 times and I didn't see it.

Last edited:
In an orthodox swing, the left shoulder will be higher and farther behind the golfer at impact than it was at address. If the left shoulder goes up, the left hand has to as well. That would bring the hands up from their address position.

It's also been noted that the hands will be a little higher at impact with a full-roll release.

I don't think the hands should go back to where they were at address, because in a good golf swing, address and impact don't look anything alike (no matter what Jim Flick says). The body is in a completely different position.

I also don't think you should get too concerned with comparisons via line-drawing. Even amongst the golfers you mentioned, there is a good bit of variety in both swing type and anthropometry. The hands could be in different spots for any number and combination of reasons (long arms/short arms, elbow plane/turned shoulder plane, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.