NSA ain't just for slicers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought NSA a few days ago because I realized I'm really just a slicer who learned to whip his body hard enough to slam the face closed and have an in-out path and thereby become a great snap hooker. Never understood lagging the sweetspot etc.

Well, I'm working on the pattern and today was just awesome. Back to a neutral grip (uncomfortable at first, but 2 range sessions later and I'm adjusting well), and a little twist away practice. Wow am I hitting it better. My irons are coming back to life.. and the only complaint is my 3 wood is slicing like mad (don't really understand that...since the driver is not slicing).

Best thing is my swing speed is back like crazy. Around 110 on normal swings with the driver, but I stopped at the golf shop just for kicks on the way back from the range, and maxed one out on the monitor at 133. Never...ever...ever.. have done that before. So much for "you have to have a strong grip to swing fast".

I just have one question... and I'm not joking... but what does one do with a 240yd 6 iron? :D

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Never Slice Again video provides for multiple adjustments to keep the clubface from getting too closed.

Every time I do the pattern in a clinic, I stone cold flush it.

Exactly! For me, it was helpful to understand what I'm supposed to be feeling on the downswing, versus what I had been doing (underplane, lagging hosel, etc). The twist away occurs for me more on the downswing, but practicing short shots with the full twist away has been really helpful to learn the appropriate feels and get used to the neutral grip.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
i should print this out and bring it to every lesson where i have a "hooker" and i tell them that in reality they are a slice who adapted. Sometimes they don't believe even if i give them NSA type components and hit it better.

*shakes head*

Feel free. I'm somewhere between SD and NSA right now trying to work my swing back onto the TSP. I turned a slice into a hook by flattening the plane and learning to crank my body fast enough and hard enough to then stall the pivot and have the shaft turn over. Not a reliable way to play for me and resulted in massive snap hooks.

On a seperate note, my hands are not hurting after practice anymore, which is awesome. I was getting bruises on my heel pad and massive blisters from my prior swing. :mad:

leon

New
...only complaint is my 3 wood is slicing like mad (don't really understand that...since the driver is not slicing).

Did you figure this out? Would be interested to know as I had a similar problem today. Irons nice, driver nice, 3 wood (off the deck) terrible.

Not yet. I'm thinking my ball position is too far forward, causing me to open my shoulders too much to hit too much down and left, hence I instinctively hold the face a little too open to avoid a pull, and end up with a slice.

Gonna try centering the ball a bit more and see if I can straighten it out.

Either that, or I'm not maintaining my axis tilt with the 3 wood for some wierd reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.