NSA and RT Forearm on Plane at Address

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a hacker with clubface and club path issues. I also tend to pop out on the takeaway and flip my way through impact. Anyway, I was reviewing NSA yesterday and, as is often the case when I review Brian’s excellent videos, I heard something I hadn’t really heard (or listened to) before. It was the part when he talks about slicer’s working on a draw guy set up. That led me to review Brian’s youtube video about why it may be a good idea for a slicer to align the right forearm with the club shaft at address. So I went out to the local course for twilate and tweaked my set up—I put the right foot back a tad and put my right forearm on plane at address.

The results: well, not one slice the whole evening; moreover, it felt like my flip was gone. I had the sensation of really squaring up the club face, resulting in shots that were going about a club or two longer on my irons and about 15 percent longer with my 3wd and driver. However, I also hit a lot of tee shots dead straight left—hit them a long way (for me) but dead left. My irons were right on the money though. I did notice that I was across the line on my backswing some, but it seems like this is okay for now given that I’ve had some issues with laying the club off.

So my questions are these:

(1) Why does putting my right forearm in this position help me not to flip or at least to flip a lot less? It did make the twistaway easier for me to do, but I don’t know if that’s the answer. Is this right forearm alignment something I want to stay with for awhile until I am better at the NSA pattern?

(2) In light of the D-plane, what do the pulls mean? I always thought a pull was the result of a square club face, but an out-to-in path. I want to know if I’m wrong about that.

(3) How can I correct the pulls, but keep the much better contact I had with the ball?

Sorry for all the questions, but I’ve been reading the website all summer and trying to improve at golf and I have a lot bouncing around in my coconut.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
(1) Why does putting my right forearm in this position help me not to flip or at least to flip a lot less? It did make the twistaway easier for me to do, but I don’t know if that’s the answer. Is this right forearm alignment something I want to stay with for awhile until I am better at the NSA pattern?

Creates a better backswing plane that will encourage a more in/out downswing plane

(2) In light of the D-plane, what do the pulls mean? I always thought a pull was the result of a square club face, but an out-to-in path. I want to know if I’m wrong about that.
you are probably out/in somewhere in the downswing and for people like you a result of not enough axis tilt through the ball.

(3)How can I correct the pulls, but keep the much better contact I had with the ball?
review the part in the video that talks about axis tilt and keeping your neck bone ahead of your tail bone

Creates a better backswing plane that will encourage a more in/out downswing plane

you are probably out/in somewhere in the downswing and for people like you a result of not enough axis tilt through the ball.

review the part in the video that talks about axis tilt and keeping your neck bone ahead of your tail bone

Jim means tailbone ahead of neckbone in the DS.

Thanks Jim. I suspected that I'm struggling with maintaining my axis tilt. Here's the thing, though--I have an Inside Approach to help me "swing under the stick," but today on the range I was still hitting a lot of pulls even though I wasn't hitting the stick. Does this mean it's possible to come under the stick from the outside or is there a chance I'm overdoing the twistaway? It seems to me that it's the former, as the latter would be more of a snap hook (there were a few of those too). But I don't know for sure ...

Thanks Jim. I suspected that I'm struggling with maintaining my axis tilt. Here's the thing, though--I have an Inside Approach to help me "swing under the stick," but today on the range I was still hitting a lot of pulls even though I wasn't hitting the stick. Does this mean it's possible to come under the stick from the outside or is there a chance I'm overdoing the twistaway? It seems to me that it's the former, as the latter would be more of a snap hook (there were a few of those too). But I don't know for sure ...

If you went from slicing to swinging under the stick and hitting pulls you have the clubface too closed. And I suspect it has to do with your grip. It's hard to "swing under the stick" with a neutral grip and hit THAT much of a hook, especially for someone who used to slice it.

Burner

New

dolanski

Don't know how you have your (inside Approach) stick aligned but if, for example, it was a rod perched on two Y poles, say 6 feet apart, then aim to hit your ball right of the forward Y pole. A draw should then ensue, whereas hitting left of the forward Y pole would cause a pull or, at worse, a hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.